Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 2153080 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15920 on: September 14, 2020, 11:02:20 PM »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15921 on: September 15, 2020, 06:05:54 AM »

Haven't seen that one before!  :) Is it new?

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #15922 on: September 15, 2020, 06:46:20 AM »
Haven't seen that one before!  :) Is it new?

From 1997. Neither was I avare of it, so I have just ordered it.
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #15923 on: September 15, 2020, 07:09:21 AM »

Thoughts? I know absolutely nothing of the composer except that he's a major name in early Baroque (or would it be late Renaissance?) keyboard music, but this is going for very cheap.

Well, back in 2009, I started a thread on Frescobaldi HERE - up to 5 pages now, so might be a good start - interestingly, my image posts on that opening thread were of the first two Brilliant volumes; since then, I've added Vols. 5 & 10, the latter in your post above.  I'll have to explore those other volumes - now have just those 4 sets.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Loreggian's 'Complete Frescobaldi Edition' has been available for a while and was just wondering why I had collected only 4 volumes (V. 1,2,5,10 - corresponding to CDs 1,2,3,4,7,8,14,15 in the listing below); well, the Masses, Madrigrals, and other vocal works were not of interest to me.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:25:40 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15924 on: September 15, 2020, 08:43:15 AM »
From 1997. Neither was I avare of it, so I have just ordered it.
Me too, it has some polytextual motets. At the same time I ordered this, which I hadn't seen either. I have no idea what it is, but it was less that £5 delivered!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #15925 on: September 15, 2020, 11:40:41 PM »
Well, back in 2009, I started a thread on Frescobaldi HERE - up to 5 pages now, so might be a good start - interestingly, my image posts on that opening thread were of the first two Brilliant volumes; since then, I've added Vols. 5 & 10, the latter in your post above.  I'll have to explore those other volumes - now have just those 4 sets.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Loreggian's 'Complete Frescobaldi Edition' has been available for a while and was just wondering why I had collected only 4 volumes (V. 1,2,5,10 - corresponding to CDs 1,2,3,4,7,8,14,15 in the listing below); well, the Masses, Madrigrals, and other vocal works were not of interest to me.

That is a fine set if one was interested in those areas of the composer's music.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #15926 on: September 16, 2020, 04:21:02 AM »
Me too, it has some polytextual motets. At the same time I ordered this, which I hadn't seen either. I have no idea what it is, but it was less that £5 delivered!

It's a liturgical play as written on the cover. I have ordered it too (12 Euros delivered).

More about the content:
http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/ssm1746.htm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:25:28 AM by (: premont :) »
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #15927 on: September 16, 2020, 01:16:56 PM »
That is a fine set if one was interested in those areas of the composer's music.

Hi Aligreto - agree completely, i.e. a great box set!  I just don't listen to a lot of vocal stuff from that era, just prefer the instrumental recordings, BUT have absolutely no objections to those who praise the other works.  Dave :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #15928 on: September 18, 2020, 12:42:05 AM »
Hi Aligreto - agree completely, i.e. a great box set!  I just don't listen to a lot of vocal stuff from that era, just prefer the instrumental recordings, BUT have absolutely no objections to those who praise the other works.  Dave :)

Cheers, Dave. Yes, not everybody's cup of tea.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline hvbias

« Reply #15929 on: September 21, 2020, 04:10:46 PM »
Quatuor Danois in Debussy and Ravel's String Quartets - anyone have any thoughts? I can't find a place to stream/sample this. Thanks.

I found the Debussy unusual; a constant high wire nervousness throughout, not a great performance, just came off as under rehearsed if not off the mark.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #15930 on: Today at 08:13:47 AM »
A famous old series:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #15931 on: Today at 10:23:59 AM »
A famous old series:

I’ve considered a buy, but I think I have 2/3 of its contents on individual discs. And those have excellent notes, so I wouldn’t buy the set and sell the separate discs. Decisions, decisions... ::)