Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I think it is well worth hearing, some people love it, some hate it, which is for me a very good sign.

Quote from: T. D. on March 05, 2021, 01:23:35 AM

The SQ would be a duplication (I have recordings with LaSalle Q), but there are 3 other CDs of music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

North Star

The SQ would be a duplication (I have recordings with LaSalle Q), but there are 3 other CDs of music.
It's very good, as are their Webern and Berg albums.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

T. D.

Thanks. Also considering this (I like historical perspective):

vers la flamme

For some reason I'm picturing this being very good.

SimonNZ

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 16, 2021, 04:05:59 PM

Thinking about it...

The bach-cantatas site notes that there's a recording by Suzuki of the GV done three months before his BIS, though they have little other info:

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NonVocal/Klavier-Goldberg-Suzuki.htm

They say the label is "King Record". On ebay King Record + Suzuki + Goldberg gets the above image:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1144319764

My guess would be its a live radio broadcast bootleg or something similar.

Mirror Image

It's an excellent set, although I keep hearing that the Arditti Quartet's cycle is even better, but, quite frankly, you can't go wrong with that Chandos set. As Karlo pointed out, their Berg and Webern is also top-notch.

ritter

Quote from: T. D. on March 05, 2021, 04:03:47 PM
Thanks. Also considering this (I like historical perspective):

I bought it around the time it was first issued, and really like that set.

Quote from: ritter on January 24, 2016, 10:09:42 AM
Wonderful set, Mirror Image! Some very important names helping to reestablish this music's rightful place in the repertory, after it had been surpressed by the criminals (and cultural neanderthals). Maderna conducting Webern's Five pieces for orcheestra alone is worth the set's price, but there are many other wonderful performances here.

Papy Oli

Any particular views on those 3 sets please ?

Olivier

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 10, 2021, 07:16:09 AM

I have the Fremaux set, and love the excellent performance of all these works. Now I want the boxes of Martinon and Jordan.  :)

MusicTurner

Jordan is good and there are some lesser known gems, including Lekeu orchestral works, Rabaud and Delage. His Ravel Sheherazade is very beautiful too.

Brian

I own the Martinon and Fremaux boxes. The Fremaux has become very cheap, hopefully the others as well. I love both of them. Just grabbed them off the shelf to look through and provide comments...

Martinon
- Roussel: great symphonies & Aeneas (very rare). Bacchus complete - not my favorite (Deneve/Naxos) but very close, just a little less crazy in the final bacchanal
- good Saint-Saens Organ Symphony and tone poem couplings, very good Franck D minor symphony
- some of the Ibert rarities are really interesting, I have good memories of "Tropismes" which is a 24 minute piece with choir
- only the last disc or two is student orchestra or in mono
- there are some rare pieces that I have not heard yet in the box; I haven't tried Marcel Landowski or "Lelio"

Fremaux
- the Massenet CD is FANTASTIC, total thrilling performances, great panache and flair. Way better Le Cid than Bonynge or the Naxos recording for example.
- there's also a really good Ibert CD here and there is zero overlap between Fremaux and Martinon on the Ibert pieces
- very good Poulenc concerto and Gloria
- I actually really enjoy the 1.5 CDs of Walton - Marches and a couple of small ballets, including very Waltonian orchestrations of Bach
- this is the only place I have ever heard the Berlioz March from Hamlet (it is not amazing)
- I do not especially love Paul Tortelier as a cellist in Lalo/Saint-Saens

Repertoire Overlap
- the only overlapping repertoire in both boxes is Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3, Danse macabre; Honegger Pacific 231; Berlioz three excerpts from Faust; and Dukas L'Apprenti sorcier. Fremaux is faster in every single work and almost every single track of the multitrack works.

If the Armin Jordan box is as good as these two, I may need that one as well...

T. D.

Thanks for pointing out the Jordan box. I've seen him praised elsewhere on the forum. All I've heard is from Syberberg's film Parsifal (full performance), which I've long enjoyed but never followed up on.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 10, 2021, 08:43:12 AM
I own the Martinon and Fremaux boxes. The Fremaux has become very cheap, hopefully the others as well. I love both of them. Just grabbed them off the shelf to look through and provide comments...

Martinon
- Roussel: great symphonies & Aeneas (very rare). Bacchus complete - not my favorite (Deneve/Naxos) but very close, just a little less crazy in the final bacchanal
- good Saint-Saens Organ Symphony and tone poem couplings, very good Franck D minor symphony
- some of the Ibert rarities are really interesting, I have good memories of "Tropismes" which is a 24 minute piece with choir
- only the last disc or two is student orchestra or in mono
- there are some rare pieces that I have not heard yet in the box; I haven't tried Marcel Landowski or "Lelio"

Fremaux
- the Massenet CD is FANTASTIC, total thrilling performances, great panache and flair. Way better Le Cid than Bonynge or the Naxos recording for example.
- there's also a really good Ibert CD here and there is zero overlap between Fremaux and Martinon on the Ibert pieces
- very good Poulenc concerto and Gloria
- I actually really enjoy the 1.5 CDs of Walton - Marches and a couple of small ballets, including very Waltonian orchestrations of Bach
- this is the only place I have ever heard the Berlioz March from Hamlet (it is not amazing)
- I do not especially love Paul Tortelier as a cellist in Lalo/Saint-Saens

Repertoire Overlap
- the only overlapping repertoire in both boxes is Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3, Danse macabre; Honegger Pacific 231; Berlioz three excerpts from Faust; and Dukas L'Apprenti sorcier. Fremaux is faster in every single work and almost every single track of the multitrack works.

If the Armin Jordan box is as good as these two, I may need that one as well...

You mentioned Roussel's Aeneas as being 'very rare' --- this is only partially true as there's another recording of it on the Timpani label (which to me is better than Martinon's own performance):

[asin]B0002XNM6Y[/asin]

Papy Oli

Thank you all for your feedback, appreciate it  :)

I have struggled with the Erato Martinon Debussy/Ravel green box in the past. Now that I am more used and open to those composers, I'll revisit this box first as a first port of call on this conductor.

I have found the Fremaux on Idagio. I'll sample it there. They also have a few individuals releases for Jordan, I'll sieve through those to see what's in the box.

Thank you.

Olivier

Papy Oli

I assume Ansermet's French music boxset is top notch too ?
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 10, 2021, 09:50:45 AM
I assume Ansermet's French music boxset is top notch too ?

It depends on who you ask. ;) Personally, I've never been fond of Ansermet's performances. There are a few occasions where he does a good job, but of all the recordings I've heard from him, there isn't but one where I've actually wanted to go back and listen again and again:

Daverz

The Martinon is essential, as is his Chicago box.  Lots of good stuff in the other boxes, but not as essential.  I think I'd get the Plasson box before I'd get the Jordan box, but that one may be hard to find.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Daverz on March 10, 2021, 01:27:20 PM
The Martinon is essential, as is his Chicago box.  Lots of good stuff in the other boxes, but not as essential.  I think I'd get the Plasson box before I'd get the Jordan box.

Plasson?

Daverz

MusicTurner