Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: T. D. on August 27, 2021, 12:23:01 PM

While considering another recording of the Feldman piece, I came across this extremely interesting release. Great idea to combine these 2 composers, considering the performance challenges posed by their work.
Truth be told, not so likely to buy it (my Babbitt listening has diminished over the years), but the concept deserves attention.
[Added] Listening to the Babbitt quintet on youtube, it's pretty good.

Before I heard either I used to mix up Babbitt and Feldman; I think it's the similar, very boring sounding names. Of course now I know they are polar opposites. Still, I agree, inspired programming.

T. D.

Whoa, the Feldman/Babbitt CD concept had been done before!

When I regularly attended new music concerts at Merkin Hall (near Lincoln Center, NYC) from mid-90s through about 2001, Milton Babbitt was often in the audience. Turnout was typically so meager that it was easy to identify people  :-X .

Artem

Todd

Do I pre-order, or order when it comes out?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Why must record companies not just release everything everywhere? 

Spotted Horses

Anyone with impressions of the Brahms/Couteau solo piano music set?

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

staxomega

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 08, 2021, 07:50:50 AM
Anyone with impressions of the Brahms/Couteau solo piano music set?

I listened to him play the Ballades and Intermezzi, I didn't find them particularly interesting. I like these complete piano boxes, but sadly find they're more often average.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: hvbias on September 08, 2021, 01:07:52 PM
I listened to him play the Ballades and Intermezzi, I didn't find them particularly interesting. I like these complete piano boxes, but sadly find they're more often average.

Yes, probably a complete set is a fools errand, since I am sure I have everything of consequence in individual recordings by pianists that I am partial to.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 08, 2021, 02:28:10 PM
Yes, probably a complete set is a fools errand, since I am sure I have everything of consequence in individual recordings by pianists that I am partial to.

IMO complete sets are best for the stuff that does not get recorded very often. How much solo piano music did Brahms compose? I've got several recordings of the late works but little else.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

Quote from: JBS on September 08, 2021, 05:52:56 PM
IMO complete sets are best for the stuff that does not get recorded very often. How much solo piano music did Brahms compose? I've got several recordings of the late works but little else.

The Katchen box amounts to 6 CD, for instance. I really enjoyed it, but it was more or less my introduction to Brahms piano music. "Complete" boxes are convenient but unlikely to satisfy the cognoscenti  ;) , especially with regard to the best-known works.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on September 08, 2021, 05:52:56 PM

Besides the late works there are three Piano Sonatas, of which it seems only the third is widely considered worth performing, there are Four Ballades, widely recorded, some obscure theme and variation sets, the Waltzes, the Op 79 Piano pieces, some odds and ends.

Brahms is probably my favorite composer and in some sense I fell I owe it to myself to hear all of his significant works, although there are a few of his most revered works that I have not listened to. At this point it seems that I am saving them to have something of Brahms to discover in my old age.

And truth be told, I already have the Oppitz set, although it seems to be generally considered uninspiring (I haven't dug into it yet).

JBS

Went looking on Amazon.
The Douglas set on Chandos lists everything on its back cover

I have a little more than I thought: the Handel and Paganini Variations, but I'm blanking on who the performer is. Perahia?
ETA: And I have the sonatas played by Guy.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Brian

I'd be curious about that program too. I own the music in the Martinon and Fremaux Erato boxes.

This is $16 at Europadisc, any comments?

Edit: found my own very negative comment on the Eroica, that Janowski was very soft with the brass and timpani.

JBS

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on September 12, 2021, 11:51:32 AM
Anyone have an opinion on this?

Magnificent. Unforced, non histrionic, beautifully performed by the Czech Philharmonic.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 12, 2021, 05:09:32 PM
Magnificent. Unforced, non histrionic, beautifully performed by the Czech Philharmonic.

I think I know what my listening is for this week then.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2021, 04:15:25 AM
I think I know what my listening is for this week then.

Hope you like it as much as I did. :)

[Truth be told, I think I have only listened to 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 from this set.]

Todd

Do I need 34 discs of Renaissance music?  Can I live without it?  Hard to say.