The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Recordings That You Are Considering

<< < (3274/3287) > >>

Jo498:
There are two funny things about the Haydn cover. The tonality of op.76/2 is incorrectly given as D major instead of minor, and the nickname is in German whereas the two other ones are in English (admittedly, "Sonnenaufgang" is not as common as the other nicknames in Germany).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh:

--- Quote from: JBS on October 18, 2021, 06:56:01 PM ---Vox has some worthwhile stuff, but is best in stuff that doesn't have many recordings, such as Saint-Saens' complete music for solo piano. Alfred Brendel's first Beethoven cycle is also from Vox.

One excellent Vox release (actually two: it comes as a double CD and a five CD set, for a total of seven CDs) is Michael Ponti's recording of Scriabin's sonatas supplemented by a few other works.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have the Brendel and Ponti sets.

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2021, 09:57:15 PM ---While talking about Vox sets, I do rather like this one:

--- End quote ---

Looks sharp!
That’s the orchestra for the Debussy set.

T. D.:

--- Quote from: JBS on October 18, 2021, 06:56:01 PM ---Vox has some worthwhile stuff, but is best in stuff that doesn't have many recordings, such as Saint-Saens' complete music for solo piano. Alfred Brendel's first Beethoven cycle is also from Vox.

One excellent Vox release (actually two: it comes as a double CD and a five CD set, for a total of seven CDs) is Michael Ponti's recording of Scriabin's sonatas supplemented by a few other works.

--- End quote ---

I like their triple-twofers of American string quartets (early, 1900-1950 and 1950-1970). The latter has the best rendition of Crumb's Black Angels I've heard.
The threefer of Alan Mandel playing Ives piano works is pretty good, but the sound quality, as sometimes happens with VoxBoxes, is lacking.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 19, 2021, 04:13:05 PM ---Looks sharp!
That’s the orchestra for the Debussy set.

--- End quote ---

Yep, but the main attraction for this 2-CD Milhaud are the Little Symphonies. These works haven't been recorded much --- there's a Koch recording and one on a French label whose name escapes me at the moment, whereas, in that Debussy set, it's much-trodden repertoire that has been recorded numerous times by huge name conductors/orchestras.

Jo498:
The repertoire on the Milhaud is not welll covered elsewhere and has the additional benefit of the composer being involved. I am too young to remember cheap LPs from Vox but the "VoxBoxes" on CD have been mixed bags with great bargains or rarities but also recordings that have been superseded in an age when most standard repertoire is available easily and cheaply.
Besides the Milhaud, there is an interesting Americana disc (I think corresponding to 1+1/2 LPs) with Abravanel and Foss, some symphonies of Michael Haydn (Farberman).

Of more common repertoire, the Mozart and Schubert recordings with Walter Klien and everything with the Trio Kalichstein/Laredo/Robinson are highly regarded (I have heard only a little of the latter and they are good, but of course it is usually well covered terrain with many options).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version