The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Recordings That You Are Considering

<< < (3280/3287) > >>

Dry Brett Kavanaugh:

--- Quote from: MusicTurner on December 04, 2021, 07:37:09 AM ---Nice, I'd like to do Northern Japan & go to Hokkaido, maybe nearby Rishiri island ...

Seems to have cultivated lands as well as some wilderness - and big, wild bears too, in some parts ...

--- End quote ---

Hokkaido is a beautiful place though it is not cultured like Kyoto or Tokyo. You may want to visit villages of Ainu indigenous people or National Ainu Museum. Also you may want to extend your travel to Hirosaki, a castle town, and Towada Lake, in Aomori, which locates to the south of Hokkaido. There are many shamisen (string instrument) players in Hirosaki and the city is beautiful.

MusicTurner:
Thank you, good to hear about a scenic town up there, some - or most - Japanese cities tend to be extremely modernized. I met an Ainu-fan once, I think down in Kagoshima, running a cafe, who told a bit about them & played Ainu folk music for a plucked string instrument during our visit, also got a CD from him for free, as a sort of oppositional feature against the overly modernized/westernized trends in Japan. But the true Ainu culture itself seems to be very much a thing of the past ...

Mookalafalas:

--- Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 03, 2021, 10:09:19 PM ---There is nothing that is "peerless" in classical music. I ordered this box the instant it was available. Barbirolli's Vaughan Williams and Elgar show great affinity for the music, his recordings of Mahler are unique, the Brahms symphonies and overtures are something I treasure, as well as the Sibelius recordings. He is one of a few conductors whose thoughts on any music are of interest to me.

Wise move. You wouldn't want to wake up one day and  find yourself living in the PRC.

--- End quote ---

Glad to see at least one person is defending Barbirolli! Anyway, I'll keep it on my radar.

The interest in Hokkaido rather surprises me, but everyone is right--it is lovely, and fun to live here. Great food, and I love the weather. And the trains, etc. etc.  A fun change from Taiwan.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 05, 2021, 02:21:49 AM ---Glad to see at least one person is defending Barbirolli! Anyway, I'll keep it on my radar.

The interest in Hokkaido rather surprises me, but everyone is right--it is lovely, and fun to live here. Great food, and I love the weather. And the trains, etc. etc.  A fun change from Taiwan.

--- End quote ---

I'll defend Barbiroll, too! His Sibelius, Mahler, Vaughan Williams, Elgar and Delius are absolutely essential, IMHO.

T. D.:
Close to pulling the trigger on a Russian chamber music extravaganza:

I already have some outstanding Taneyev recordings of chamber music w. piano and string trios, but this would be an effective way to get the SQs. The Myaskovsky SQ are terra incognita. There's a "20% off $65" deal at an eBay seller I sometimes use...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version