Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 13, 2022, 07:56:21 PM

The secondhand store has just got in what looks like a complete collection of the Naive Vivaldi operas.

Are there any in this series that are considered by consensus to be absolutely essential? Or any two or three that anyone here particularly loves?

My advice is, if you are not interested in the Opera ones, to take all of the non-opera ones. I have many of those discs and I have found them to be universally excellent.
I should also point out that there are Sacred Music discs there which I know not everyone is interested in. They are also excellent but you could exclude those also if you are not interested.
If you read the contents it will be obvious to you what is what.
Best of luck with it.

JBS

Quote from: aligreto on October 14, 2022, 12:39:03 AM
My advice is, if you are not interested in the Opera ones, to take all of the non-opera ones. I have many of those discs and I have found them to be universally excellent.
I should also point out that there are Sacred Music discs there which I know not everyone is interested in. They are also excellent but you could exclude those also if you are not interested.
If you read the contents it will be obvious to you what is what.
Best of luck with it.

Agreed. All the non-opera installments are "necessary".  The whole series is now up to 65 volumes or so.
As for the operas--for me they're almost interchangeable. So almost any one of them will suffice to hear Vivaldi the opera composer. Caveat: a number of these Naive opera recordings involve heavy reconstruction and outright pasticcio, so you might want to stick to earlier opera issues, where the editorial hand tended to be much less intrusive.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Thanks to you all. I'll go back and see if they have the sacred music.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 14, 2022, 06:33:08 PM
Thanks to you all. I'll go back and see if they have the sacred music.

Best of luck and do let us know how you got on.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 13, 2022, 07:56:21 PM

The secondhand store has just got in what looks like a complete collection of the Naive Vivaldi operas.

Are there any in this series that are considered by consensus to be absolutely essential? Or any two or three that anyone here particularly loves?

Iwas also considering this set:

This isn't one of the operas, but you have it in your photo?  I'd pass on Vivaldi Concerto per violin I 'La caccia' [It's the dark green one.  Third row from the top and third in.].  It's currently in my box to either sell or donate.  I also bought it used.  The playing, to me anyway, runs along at the speed of light...way too fast...took out the musicality for me anyway.  I do enjoy a number of other of Naive's records.  In terms of opera, the only ones that I own are of Handel's (operas and recital discs).  Those I adore.

Haven't heard that Fauré set, but it looks tempting!  I'd be curious as to what others have to say about it here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 15, 2022, 05:57:35 AMHaven't heard that Fauré set, but it looks tempting!  I'd be curious as to what others have to say about it here.

PD

I don't have it, but one comment I seem to remember is that the sound is very reverberant. Probably could be confirmed by finding some audio samples to listen to.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Jo498

I recall that the Fauré set got rather mixed reviews, especially considering the rather stellar musicians involved. There are somewhat similar sets on EMI/warner with recordings from the 60s and 70s (such as Ferras for the violin sonatas etc.) that are commendable. There was also a good, if not quite as complete mixed set of Fauré chamber music on Brillliant Classics but I don't know if that's stilll available.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on October 15, 2022, 07:00:21 AM
I recall that the Fauré set got rather mixed reviews, especially considering the rather stellar musicians involved. There are somewhat similar sets on EMI/warner with recordings from the 60s and 70s (such as Ferras for the violin sonatas etc.) that are commendable. There was also a good, if not quite as complete mixed set of Fauré chamber music on Brillliant Classics but I don't know if that's stilll available.

I have all three, and have no complaints about any of them. The Warner set I have in its current incarnation, which includes piano, orchestral, and choral works

There is also a set on Alpha with LeSage and others which seems to be OOP. I don't have that.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on October 15, 2022, 07:18:39 AM
I have all three, and have no complaints about any of them. The Warner set I have in its current incarnation, which includes piano, orchestral, and choral works

I was going to suggest that one, on reflection. Collard, Dumay and Lodeon are great soloists in Faure.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on October 15, 2022, 05:13:16 AM
Best of luck and do let us know how you got on.

Thanks. When I went back there was only half of what I originally saw, but I picked up a 2cd set of Vespers and a disc of motets, which I'm pleased with, especially the vespers.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 29, 2022, 02:47:17 AM
This is why we love you, Mandryka, you have stuff like this on standby ;D An interesting read so far.

Edit: I didn't know Vaughan Williams recorded Bach's Mass.

Here's a BBC programme on Vaughan Williams and Bach

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001cnsx
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 15, 2022, 09:52:50 PM
Thanks. When I went back there was only half of what I originally saw, but I picked up a 2cd set of Vespers and a disc of motets, which I'm pleased with, especially the vespers.

The Vespers is one of the best of the series in my view.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

While the concerti from this series seem all very good, from the handful of disc I have hear, I think there is simply far less competition for the sacred music, so these are more desirable IMO. E.g. there is/was a dirt cheap 8-10? disc set with Europa galante/Biondi on Warner (orig. Virgin).
The Vespers is also one of my favorites (another good is the one with the horrible "red cross" cover in the upper left corner in the picture above.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Papy Oli

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 15, 2022, 09:52:50 PM

2 great picks, enjoy!
Olivier

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on October 16, 2022, 12:29:05 AM
While the concerti from this series seem all very good, from the handful of disc I have hear, I think there is simply far less competition for the sacred music, so these are more desirable IMO. E.g. there is/was a dirt cheap 8-10? disc set with Europa galante/Biondi on Warner (orig. Virgin).
The Vespers is also one of my favorites (another good is the one with the horrible "red cross" cover in the upper left corner in the picture above.

Biondi covers the sets with opus numbers (and not quite complete in the case of La Stravaganza), while the Naive recordings are for the works in the Turin archive, so there's not really any duplication. (And there's at least set of the complete sacred music on Hyperion).

JBS

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on October 16, 2022, 12:29:05 AM
While the concerti from this series seem all very good, from the handful of disc I have hear, I think there is simply far less competition for the sacred music,

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jo498

"far less" does not mean "none". If there was only I musici from the 60s and Hogwood from the 80s for a bunch of concerti, i.e. one Italian but a bit old fashioned, the other one from a very different tradition of choral music (i.e. British colleges)  it would be a similar situation.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on October 16, 2022, 08:23:18 AM
"far less" does not mean "none"

Oh, I simply pointed out the alternatives to the Naive sacred music series. I didn't mean in the least to criticize your formulation.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Papy Oli

Any particular pros and cons or favourite between those two Ligeti boxes please (for a first Ligeti purchase)?

Olivier