Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DaveF on November 16, 2022, 12:09:52 PM
If you mean subscribing to one of their streaming plans, then no (at least not on the UK version) - you just create your account with associated payment method and start downloading.  It's a great site, with so much that's cheaper than elsewhere - cataloguing/metadata is just a bit hit-or-miss; you may have to be prepared to search for things in several languages (French and German mostly) to find them.

I've purchased from qobuz from the US without a streaming plan, but you need to make an account. Initially I made purchases of downloads in FLAC format from Presto but sometime qobuz is cheaper. Sometimes a pdf booklet is included, sometimes not, which is the same as on Presto.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DaveF on November 16, 2022, 12:09:52 PM
If you mean subscribing to one of their streaming plans, then no (at least not on the UK version) - you just create your account with associated payment method and start downloading.  It's a great site, with so much that's cheaper than elsewhere - cataloguing/metadata is just a bit hit-or-miss; you may have to be prepared to search for things in several languages (French and German mostly) to find them.
Thanks for the information!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Daverz on November 14, 2022, 08:10:43 PM
Viteslav Novak's Nikotina for $1.49: https://open.qobuz.com/album/geis1rhkkyx4b

+1 for that Novak recording - there are quite a few other Novak "discs" from that same period/series for similar prices although not "The Storm".  Also check out Otakar Ostricil - not many works but they are rather fine.

Lisztianwagner

I haven't got many Szymanowski recordings and I would like to improve my knowledge of his piano music; I saw some members had this one, which actually looks intriguing as Zimerman  is an excellent pianist; is it really worth buying or there are better recordings for Szymanowski'piano music?

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 02, 2022, 03:52:21 AMI haven't got many Szymanowski recordings and I would like to improve my knowledge of his piano music; I saw some members had this one, which actually looks intriguing as Zimerman  is an excellent pianist; is it really worth buying or there are better recordings for Szymanowski'piano music?

It is an outstanding Szymanowski recording.  The main draw is the Masques, recorded almost thirty years ago, which is one of the very best Szymanowski recordings available.  Zimerman also makes the Op 10 Variations on a Polish Folk Theme sound like a near-great work.

There are other discs to consider, with images below.  The Anderszewski disc, now around twenty years old, may be the single best Szymanowski piano disc in existence given the works and playing.  Sinae Lee's complete set is the best of the three I have listened to (Jones and Roscoe being the other two), though I hope that one day someone else undertakes a similar project with up to date recorded sound and playing more like Zimerman or Anderszewski.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Todd on December 04, 2022, 08:46:18 AMIt is an outstanding Szymanowski recording.  The main draw is the Masques, recorded almost thirty years ago, which is one of the very best Szymanowski recordings available.  Zimerman also makes the Op 10 Variations on a Polish Folk Theme sound like a near-great work.

There are other discs to consider, with images below.  The Anderszewski disc, now around twenty years old, may be the single best Szymanowski piano disc in existence given the works and playing.  Sinae Lee's complete set is the best of the three I have listened to (Jones and Roscoe being the other two), though I hope that one day someone else undertakes a similar project with up to date recorded sound and playing more like Zimerman or Anderszewski.

Thank you very much!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mandryka

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 02, 2022, 03:52:21 AMI haven't got many Szymanowski recordings and I would like to improve my knowledge of his piano music; I saw some members had this one, which actually looks intriguing as Zimerman  is an excellent pianist; is it really worth buying or there are better recordings for Szymanowski'piano music?

You can check the whole thing out for yourself on youtube, at least in the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxNzIwUSwYo&list=OLAK5uy_mMQXHGkwGPQOsQn7RoTQAcyUvcN4AABbE&ab_channel=KrystianZimerman-Topic
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Lisztianwagner

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on December 04, 2022, 11:55:26 AMSince it's on youtube, I will, thanks!

If you have extra time, please check my rec on YT as well.

Peter Power Pop

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 04, 2022, 12:52:25 PMIf you have extra time, please check my rec on YT as well.

Sure, thank you for the suggestions! I would like to compare different sets before choosing.

SimonNZ

Anyone heard the Huelgas Ensemble doing Rihm?

Ordinarily I'd just snap up a HE disc I hadn't seen before, but this seems like possibly a hard turn for them.

Mandryka

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 25, 2022, 06:55:25 PM

Anyone heard the Huelgas Ensemble doing Rihm?

Ordinarily I'd just snap up a HE disc I hadn't seen before, but this seems like possibly a hard turn for them.

You can check it for yourself here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsrKGBL9gyY&ab_channel=J%C3%A9r%C3%A9mieNicolas

And Rihm made a video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6CcgyuWS1o&ab_channel=ECMRecords

Hilliard and Arditti created it, but no bootleg exists as far as I know, and they didn't make the commercial recording. Possibly Rihm felt their approach wasn't right -- maybe too aggressive, and maybe he wanted it with more than one voice per part.  Minguet doesn't sound like Arditti and Minguet have a long history of creating Rihm's music, my guess is they have a sympathetic relation with the composer.

It uses the text of the requiem mass. The form is free, like a stream of consciousness or indeed a classical free fantasy.

The only listening notes I've ever made about it say

Overall the feeling is of uncomfortableness and groping, difficulty going on. Agony. The strings and voices reconciled only very briefly. Fluid and complex music, simultaneously continuous and discontinuous, consonant and dissonant. Passages which are luminous and passages obscure. Is the quartet like a chorus in a Greek tragedy? The quartet music is anguished, intense.

The recording is a continuous track of over an hour, presumably because he wants it to be seen as a continuous flow, a line without a break. Rihm is concerned often with issues to do with flow and energy change. Still, I wish there were some cues. It's quite a challenging bit of music for me, and it takes a serious effort to listen to the whole of it in one go.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Jo498

Is this from the 1975 Chopin competition or a studio recording?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Todd

Quote from: Jo498 on January 06, 2023, 11:58:22 AMIs this from the 1975 Chopin competition or a studio recording?

It is a 1984 recording.

Todd

Stephen Hough has a recording of Mompou's Musica Callada coming out, which I knew about, but I did not know that Josep Colom made a second recording of the work in 2019.  It's a DSD256 audiophile recording, but I won't hold that against it.  I may just have to buy two.  Of course, I can stream this one.

SonicMan46

Glazunov, Alexander - Complete String Quartets - already own the 5 single CDS on MDG w/ the Utrecht String Quartet - not a space saver! - last year the company brought out the 'box set' below - looking at a Hurwitz video (below), seems to be in a double jewel box w/ space for more than 2 discs - he states that there are 4 CDs but his colleague (and other websites) Distler states 5 discs HERE; BTW, a 10/10 rating - SO, how is this set packaged and how many discs are contained?  Thanks - Dave :)

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 23, 2023, 07:42:26 AMSO, how is this set packaged and how many discs are contained?  Thanks - Dave :)
I have some 5 CD Brilliant Classics box sets in double jewel boxes like that. The way it works is that the "back cover" (where CD 4 goes) is a swivel hinge with another disc on the backside. It's like a hybrid of the old double jewel boxes with the new slim 2CD jewel cases used by labels like Hyperion.

Come to think of it, I think I have a 6 CD box like that, with swivel hinges on both inside covers.

Edit: oh and it's 5 CDs.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on January 23, 2023, 07:52:50 AMI have some 5 CD Brilliant Classics box sets in double jewel boxes like that. The way it works is that the "back cover" (where CD 4 goes) is a swivel hinge with another disc on the backside. It's like a hybrid of the old double jewel boxes with the new slim 2CD jewel cases used by labels like Hyperion.

Come to think of it, I think I have a 6 CD box like that, with swivel hinges on both inside covers.

Edit: oh and it's 5 CDs.

Thanks Brian - I also have a number of these 'double jewel boxes' that can hold 4 to 6 discs (the Brautigam Mozart KB sonatas has six) - the 5 or 6 disc containers will have the flip-out on the front and back outsides.  Yep, Distler in link given, several websites, and the number I own all point to 5; several of these discs are 52 & 56 minutes so I guess MDG could have put the recordings on 4 discs but usually the originals are just boxed up.  Dave