Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 23, 2023, 08:19:33 AMThanks Brian - I also have a number of these 'double jewel boxes' that can hold 4 to 6 discs (the Brautigam Mozart KB sonatas has six) - the 5 or 6 disc containers will have the flip-out on the front and back outsides.  Yep, Distler in link given, several websites, and the number I own all point to 5; several of these discs are 52 & 56 minutes so I guess MDG could have put the recordings on 4 discs but usually the originals are just boxed up.  Dave
One of the shortcomings of Hurwitz's new YouTube reviews approach is a spottier approach to fact-checking. Since he is speaking extemporaneously from memory, mistakes or even simple verbal slips are likelier to happen. I watched one a couple weeks ago where he said "pianist" instead of "violinist" about five times.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 23, 2023, 09:39:37 AMI watched one a couple weeks ago where he said "pianist" instead of "violinist" about five times.

That means he is three times more accurate than the typical YouTuber.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

betterthanfine

Quote from: Brian on January 23, 2023, 07:52:50 AMIt's like a hybrid of the old double jewel boxes with the new slim 2CD jewel cases used by labels like Hyperion.
I have CDs with cases like that from the early 2000s... Can we really call anything that has been around for over 20 years 'new'? ;)

Hans Holbein

I occasionally hate-watch Hurwitz videos, especially if he is talking about a particular interest of mine. In his video on the Busoni piano concerto, he struggles with pronunciations; has no idea what the movements are called and spends a good bit of time consulting a CD case to find them out; states that there are only "nine or ten" recordings of the concerto (there are at least 18 by my count); and has no idea what label his top pick for the piece is on.

And how many of those nine or ten or 18 recordings does he mention specifically? Four. (Ogdon, Hamelin, Ohlsson, and Gerstein.) I strongly suspect those are the only four he's heard, otherwise he would have at least alluded to some others.