Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Madiel on March 08, 2023, 05:58:56 PMSure. The Australian National Gallery owns some of the costumes and sets from the Ballets Russes, and put on an exhibition some years ago that I found utterly enchanting. Hearing Petrushka or Daphnis and Chloe playing over speakers while also being able to SEE parts of the original production was quite an experience.

The exhibition catalogue is still online and I've linked to it before. I'll try to find it again. I bought the book at the time.

Very interesting!

Karl Henning

This book is one of my treasured purchases from my time in Saint Petersburg. I think that it has unfortunately been allowed to go out of print. But if you can find a well illustrated history of the World of Art movement, the artwork, set designs and costumes by Bakst, Benois, Somov, Serov, Golovin, Roerich, Bilibin, Ostroumova-Lebedeva, Serebryakova and others are a visual feast to rival all of the magnificent music!
@Madiel bought that exhibition catalogue with good reason!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

This is where you can find the old Ballets Russes exhibition information. It includes information about the ballets performed.

https://digital.nga.gov.au/archive/exhibition/balletsrusses/default.cfm.html

They spent many years restoring the costumes.  Seeing things that Nijinsky actually wore gives me goosebumps.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 08, 2023, 06:11:26 PMThere's what they say about a stopped clock ; )

And, not to push it off onto your shoulders, I didn't think this conversation would prove dangerous, yet now I've ordered the Warner box .... so thanks!

I really need to get my own order in lest everyone else snaffles up all the copies.

I find myself agreeing with Hurwitz quite frequently by the way. More than sheer chance would explain.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 08, 2023, 06:39:45 PMThis book is one of my treasured purchases from my time in Saint Petersburg. I think that it has unfortunately been allowed to go out of print. But if you can find a well illustrated history of the World of Art movement, the artwork, set designs and costumes by Bakst, Benois, Somov, Serov, Golovin, Roerich, Bilibin, Ostroumova-Lebedeva, Serebryakova and others are a visual feast to rival all of the magnificent music!
@Madiel bought that exhibition catalogue with good reason!

Amazon US has a few used copies here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/5730002157

I just ordered the cheapest copy listed. (There's one other at the same price.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

Oh dear, this:

Attractive obscure works, but do I really need more recordings of the Firebird, Le Sacre, etc? And why did they fail to track down some works that Brian listed in a post I can't find anymore? (oh,https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,11592.msg1462216.html#msg1462216).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 09, 2023, 05:49:13 AMOh dear, this:

Attractive obscure works, but do I really need more recordings of the Firebird, Le Sacre, etc? And why did they fail to track down some works that Brian listed in a post I can't find anymore? (oh,https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,11592.msg1462216.html#msg1462216).

We are up to four people that I am aware now who have purchased this in the last few days.  ;D

Harry

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 09, 2023, 05:52:23 AMWe are up to four people that I am aware now who have purchased this in the last few days.  ;D

Nah,more, I bought three copies on Amazon Europe, for my somewhat elderly friends, due to the fact that I talked with them about this Warner set, and since they have not yet arrived in the digital world, I volunteered to arrange it for them. They were around 82 euros a piece.  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Brahmsian

Quote from: Harry on March 09, 2023, 06:00:48 AMNah,more, I bought three copies on Amazon Europe, for my somewhat elderly friends, due to the fact that I talked with them about this Warner set, and since they have not yet arrived in the digital world, I volunteered to arrange it for them. They were around 82 euros a piece.  ;D

Aha!  We are up to 5!  ;D

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 09, 2023, 05:49:13 AMAttractive obscure works, but do I really need more recordings of the Firebird, Le Sacre, etc? And why did they fail to track down some works that Brian listed in a post I can't find anymore? (oh,https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,11592.msg1462216.html#msg1462216).
I wonder how many of those really obscure ones have been better recorded. Surely it would have been better for the government-subsidized SWR series to start with a series of premieres, rather than re-covering common stuff like Rite and Sombrero.

Harry

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 09, 2023, 06:15:01 AMAha!  We are up to 5!  ;D

Nah 7! Granted they are no members on GMG, but they will be soon I hope. So 3 new members!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 09, 2023, 05:49:13 AMbut do I really need more recordings of the Firebird, Le Sacre, etc?
As a Stravinsky enthusiast, this was my initial thought when word first broke of this set ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 09, 2023, 06:57:38 AMAs a Stravinsky enthusiast, this was my initial thought when word first broke of this set ....

The reason I got this set is although I have versions of a lot of things....there is a fair amount of works in there that I do not have and am completely unfamiliar with:

Examples:  Tcherepnin, Dukas, Balakirev, Debussy Jeux, Schmitt, Tommasini, Liadov, Satie, Poulenc, Auric, Milhaud, Sauguet, Beecham and a few of the Prokofiev.  So, quite a bit of new stuff for me.

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 09, 2023, 07:02:42 AMThe reason I got this set is although I have versions of a lot of things....there is a fair amount of works in there that I do not have and am completely unfamiliar with:

Examples:  Tcherepnin, Dukas, Balakirev, Debussy Jeux, Schmitt, Tommasini, Liadov, Satie, Poulenc, Auric, Milhaud, Sauguet, Beecham and a few of the Prokofiev.  So, quite a bit of new stuff for me.
The Satie is a piece I have wished I might like better, so perhaps this recording will do it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Conductor William Stromberg and (I think) the Prague Philharmonic have recorded the entire soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann for Nicholas Ray's movie On Dangerous Ground.

It is due out in April, the last I heard:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159558251003175&set=a.10150857388043175

Up until now, only excerpts have been available, the most famous one being a nearly manic performance of "The Death Hunt" provided many years ago by Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic:

There is a CD of the original soundtrack in Mono, but some of it is from damaged tapes/film and is almost unbearable at times.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

Whilst perusing the Eloquence site I spied these two ancient recordings that I either never saw or forgot existed.  I kinda think I need a new version of both works.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 08, 2023, 04:36:40 AM

Well, this surprisingly has already arrived on my doorstep.  Pretty damn quick!  :o   A very attractive box and presentation!

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 10, 2023, 12:32:12 PMWell, this surprisingly has already arrived on my doorstep.  Pretty damn quick!  :o  A very attractive box and presentation!
When I first placed the order, the expected delivery was something like the 20th, but now, it looks like it'll be here tomorrow!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Not talking about this for the first time, but Florian Uhlig's Schumann set, as a box.

I'm interested in the presentation of the box. Does it have a good booklet with all of the essays of the separate volumes? Or is it just the separate volumes in a case?

This might have been discussed before, but I can't find the discussion.

I'm pretty sure that @Harry bought it. Anyone else?

Harry

Quote from: Madiel on March 11, 2023, 03:41:09 AMNot talking about this for the first time, but Florian Uhlig's Schumann set, as a box.

I'm interested in the presentation of the box. Does it have a good booklet with all of the essays of the separate volumes? Or is it just the separate volumes in a case?

This might have been discussed before, but I can't find the discussion.

I'm pretty sure that @Harry bought it. Anyone else?

Every CD in this set has a separate booklet explaining in detail the pieces that are recorded. I found it to be quite adequate.