Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Those are good suggestions, thanks.
   BTW, I saw two excellent productions of "The Barber of Seville", one recorded in New York (I believe), and one in Italy. Both were fun and well done, but the leading lady in both was clearly 20-30 years older than the character she was playing. Maybe on stage it's no big deal, but on video it was a bit distracting. Similarly, one of the Verdi operas I watched was about a woman whom everyone was pursuing (the king, a bandit leader) due to their ardent passion for her beauty. But she was much closer to 300 pounds than 250, and wasn't as strong a singer as her handmaiden. I know opera requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, but they seem to be making it more challenging than it needs to be.
It's all good...

Brian

I recently saw Elektra live onstage and the lead actress was so out of shape that she was unable to dance at the end... instead they had her spontaneously collapse from a standstill.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 04, 2024, 06:20:33 PMI recently saw Elektra live onstage and the lead actress was so out of shape that she was unable to dance at the end... instead they had her spontaneously collapse from a standstill.

Elektra or Salome?

There is a clip on Youtube of Sutherland, Pavarotti, and Milnes performing the quartet from Rigoletto. And there is no way Sutherland could be imagined as Milnes' daughter.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk