Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Steve on April 22, 2007, 04:47:45 PM
Schubert's 4th.. (Naxos)

Where is Failoni?

And Michael Halasz, is that an assumed name? Why is he on half the Naxos recordings?

Steve

Michael Halasz, is the conductor of the Failioni Orchestra is based in Budapest, Hungary. As to why he is on so many of the Naxos recorings, I am unsure. I have enjoyed some of his other recordings though.

Hector

Quote from: Steve on April 22, 2007, 05:07:25 PM
Michael Halasz, is the conductor of the Failioni Orchestra is based in Budapest, Hungary. As to why he is on so many of the Naxos recorings, I am unsure. I have enjoyed some of his other recordings though.

He's cheap and reliable.

His Fidelio is worth a try and he is, currently, working his way through the Liszt Tone Poems.

Naxos should give him a half-decent orchestra, for once.

Steve

Still considering this Gina Bachauer collection:

And this Bertini Mahler Symphony Set:

I've been looking for another complete set for sometime now.  :)

RebLem

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 22, 2007, 05:03:26 PM
Where is Failoni?

You need to download Google Earth, dude.

I did a quick check.  Given the name, I guessed it was Italy, and found I was right.  It is in north central Italy, in the Alpine foothills.

After I wrote the above, I checked the rest of the thread, and found that Steve said the Failoni Orchestra was in Budapest.  I Googled Failoni Orch, and found he is right.  http://www.naxos.com/orchestrainfo/259.htm
However, my statement about there being a town called Failoni, Italy is still correct.  Its just that, to my knowledge, it has no connection to the orchestra.

Now, a question of my own.  What do folks here think of the Solti set of Haydn's London Symphonies?
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Harry

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2007, 03:07:51 PM

I would say, that would be a very good choice Steve. :)

rubio

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2007, 03:07:51 PM

You can't go wrong with this one. His interpretation lies somewhere in the middle between the "heart on the sleeve" Bernstein and the very precise and tight (and sometimes cold) Boulez. The sound is really good, and it doesn't really have any weak points (from very good to excellent/reference-material). I know Chailly is a competitor, but his set is usually quite more expensive. I only have his 5th, and I prefer Bertini for this symphony (here he is my favourite of the 10 recordings I have). I think Chailly is superbly played and produced, but for me he didn't really grab me emotionally in the same way like Bertini. But I will probably have to revisit Chailly soon (his 5th movement is the best I have heard, though).
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Michel

This thread presupposes any of us "consider"; i certainly don't, I just press "buy". :)

But seriously, though, its worrying how much of the pleasure I get fromthis hobby is reading umpteen reviews and agonising over which recordings to get, and then sitting there, waiting excitedly, for them to come through the post..

Greta

QuoteThis thread presupposes any of us "consider"; i certainly don't, I just press "buy".

I should do more of that. :D I debated over the below a while back and now it's only around at very high prices.

Most interested in this Lemminkainen, maybe my favorite piece of Sibelius. I have the Segerstam and it's gorgeous, but a recent broadcast of Salonen in this piece with the Concertgebouw was ravishing, earthy and lusty with an almost Tristan-ish Saari and a heady Return. I know the En Saga is great. I've never used J&R but will see if they can track down a copy as their prices are insanely cheap. Anybody else had good luck with them?

Maciek

Quote from: Greta on April 25, 2007, 11:15:33 PM
I debated over the below a while back and now it's only around at very high prices.

A problem I'm constantly having. It seems the only good strategy to avoid that situation is to ALWAYS buy. Impossible for me (for most of us), I'm afraid... :'(

Steve

Quote from: Harry on April 24, 2007, 10:30:43 PM
I would say, that would be a very good choice Steve. :)

Thanks, Harry. I've gone ahead and added it to the cart. I was debating whether to go with this or the Chalily, but it was his marvelous rendition of the 5th that won me over. Still I will probably buy the other one later, what do you think of it?

Harry

Quote from: Steve on April 26, 2007, 05:12:35 AM
Thanks, Harry. I've gone ahead and added it to the cart. I was debating whether to go with this or the Chalily, but it was his marvelous rendition of the 5th that won me over. Still I will probably buy the other one later, what do you think of it?

As so often you will add to these works with different interpretations. I think the Chailly also worthwhile, but then I already have four cycles and consider that enough! :)

Steve

Quote from: Harry on April 26, 2007, 05:23:04 AM
As so often you will add to these works with different interpretations. I think the Chailly also worthwhile, but then I already have four cycles and consider that enough! :)

Which 4 are in your possession, Harry?

Harry

Quote from: Steve on April 26, 2007, 05:25:46 AM
Which 4 are in your possession, Harry?

Inbal/Tennstedt/Abbado/Neumann/Bertini, and a few from Karajan.
So five sets altogether, I forgot Neumann, which was the first set I ever bought. :)
And you?

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on April 26, 2007, 05:32:06 AM
. . . and a few from Karajan.

Oh, we take that as read, mijn vriend!  ;D

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on April 26, 2007, 05:35:28 AM
Oh, we take that as read, mijn vriend!  ;D

Yes sorry about that! :)
I have from Herbert von Karajan the following.

Twice the Symphony No. 9, 4,5,6.
For me top echelon. :)

MishaK

Quote from: Greta on April 25, 2007, 11:15:33 PM
I should do more of that. :D I debated over the below a while back and now it's only around at very high prices.

Most interested in this Lemminkainen, maybe my favorite piece of Sibelius. I have the Segerstam and it's gorgeous, but a recent broadcast of Salonen in this piece with the Concertgebouw was ravishing, earthy and lusty with an almost Tristan-ish Saari and a heady Return. I know the En Saga is great. I've never used J&R but will see if they can track down a copy as their prices are insanely cheap. Anybody else had good luck with them?

There is a live radio broadcast Lemminkäinen with Salonen that I recently downloaded through Operashare which is excellent!

Greta

That's the one, O Mensch!  ;) That recent concert was wonderful.  After hearing that broadcast, I decided to see if I can track down the above CD.  Hopefully J&R can come with one...

PerfectWagnerite