Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Count me as another person who likes much of Eric Heidsieck (with exceptions like the perverse Op. 28 mvt. iii) and is not a serious Beethoven listener.

Turner

He did record the complete Beethoven and Faure cello sonatas with Tortelier, who must have thought well of him too. His Mozart concertos 21+24 got the Grand Prix du Disque; his website lists 108 recordings http://ericheidsieck.net/Discog_p1x.htm

premont

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2018, 12:35:12 PM
Count me as another person who likes much of Eric Heidsieck (with exceptions like the perverse Op. 28 mvt. iii) and is not a serious Beethoven listener.

We could establish an association of unserious Beethoven listeners. I would love to be a member of that society.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Turner on January 14, 2018, 12:51:01 PM
He did record the complete Beethoven and Faure cello sonatas with Tortelier, who must have thought well of him too. His Mozart concertos 21+24 got the Grand Prix du Disque; his website lists 108 recordings http://ericheidsieck.net/Discog_p1x.htm

It seems as if he has embarked on another Beethoven cycle, but the availability is questionable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 14, 2018, 02:01:25 PM
It seems as if he has embarked on another Beethoven cycle, but the availability is questionable.

He stopped the second studio cycle after recording the last five sonatas.  It took a while, but I got copies of both discs.  There are live recordings of various other sonatas.  His first studio recording was of Op 106, separate from his later cycle, but I haven't got that one yet. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pat B

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 14, 2018, 01:52:41 PM
We could establish an association of unserious Beethoven listeners. I would love to be a member of that society.

I want in. I have not heard the Heidsieck but would like to. Is that sufficient?

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: The One on January 14, 2018, 08:32:03 AM
I'm surprised that you did. Heidsieck is not a pianist who should be placed on a map of a serious Beethoven listener. Unless you don't mind beginning to listen to your relatives or neighbor's kids playing the cycle. These are important and interpretatively decoded works. I wonder what attracted you in terms of Beethoven  ::)

Maybe we should have some sort of "hall of fame" for the most pompous, self-important posts made to the board. There seems to be a consensus forming around this post. :)

The new erato

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 15, 2018, 09:48:37 PM
Maybe we should have some sort of "hall of fame" for the most pompous, self-important posts made to the board. There seems to be a consensus forming around this post. :)
He has several candidates for sure.

Karl Henning

I'm in.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

The reference was to the "serious Beethoven listener." I'm not sure if I am to interpret that as "serious listeners to Beethoven" or "listeners to serious Beethoven." We already have the roots of a schism between "unserious listeners to Beethoven" and "listeners to unserious Beethoven" in this new society. :)

premont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 16, 2018, 10:38:49 AM
The reference was to the "serious Beethoven listener." I'm not sure if I am to interpret that as "serious listeners to Beethoven" or "listeners to serious Beethoven." We already have the roots of a schism between "unserious listeners to Beethoven" and "listeners to unserious Beethoven" in this new society. :)

I do not think that this:

Quote from: The One on January 14, 2018, 08:32:03 AM
I'm surprised that you did. Heidsieck is not a pianist who should be placed on a map of a serious Beethoven listener. Unless you don't mind beginning to listen to your relatives or neighbor's kids playing the cycle. These are important and interpretatively decoded works. I wonder what attracted you in terms of Beethoven  ::)

can be interpreted in any other way, than we are talking about serious listeners to Beethoven and not about listeners to serious Beethoven. So when the Beethoven listeners, who like Heidsieck's cycle, not are serious Beethoven listeners, they are of course unserious Beethoven listeners. Well, it is an interpretation, but I think we - without violating reality - can use this theory as our point of departure.

BTW what is the difference. If the meaning is, that Heidsieck is unserious Beethoven, then we are unserious Beethoven listeners, when we listen to him.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Baron Scarpia

I will joint both societies. It's like joining the Catholic and Orthodox church, you get Christmas twice!

premont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 16, 2018, 12:46:55 PM
I will joint both societies. It's like joining the Catholic and Orthodox church, you get Christmas twice!

Which association you are going to join depends of course of which associations you get, when you read the concept "serious Beethoven listener". If you get both associations, you will have to join both associations.

However I am sure, that these two associations will understand to work together in full agreement.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 16, 2018, 12:46:55 PM

Not necessarily. In Greece, Bulgaria, Albania, Cyprus, Poland and Romania you get it only once.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Spineur

Anybody familiar with this box of William Byrd keybord music

and more generally to the William Byrd - must have - discography.

Jo498

I am not sufficiently familiar with the music or with other options but I got the Byrd Box a few years ago when it was fairly cheap (and it takes only as much space as ca. 3 single discs in separate cases). It was highly and broadly recommend and while Byrd is not a major focus of mine, it seemed easier to get it than a few anthologies and pay more in the end. TBH a 1-2 disc anthology would probably have been enough for me. But that disc is very good and the variety of the instruments is nice and avoids monotony.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Spineur on January 17, 2018, 11:56:10 AM
Anybody familiar with this box of William Byrd keybord music

That's a superb box, I really like the instruments and Moroney's playing too. Of course its value for you depends on how much you like Renaissance keyboard music.
Blaze & Concordia's consort song set is wonderful too. Hyperion (and ASV for their earlier, now OOP recordings) also has The Cardinall's Musick's recordings of the vocal music, but I don't know them.
I also like Stile Antico's recordings in the box below very much, though Tallis, Taverner, White and others are included too, of course.

[asin]B013XHKH7M[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Spineur

Thank you Jo & NS.  These are very helpful answers.  I have one Byrd CD and listened to it recently and enjoyed its hedonist atmosphere.  I feel like exploring more of his music...

Mandryka

Quote from: Spineur on January 17, 2018, 11:56:10 AM

Check out Arpo Häkkinen. Gustav Leonhardt and Marianne Lévy-Noisette too.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen