Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Spineur on January 17, 2018, 12:23:40 PM
  I feel like exploring more of his music...

Check the Claire Wilkinson /Rose Consort or Viols CD called Adoramus Te.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spineur

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on January 17, 2018, 12:25:34 PM

Check out Arpo Häkkinen. Gustav Leonhardt too.
Yes, these too are very good indeed.
Quote from: Spineur on January 17, 2018, 12:39:41 PM
She is my sister...
Ha! Maybe you should start there.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Someone recently asked me for recommendations for the masses, and so I listened to a lot of different ones. Anyway the reason I'm mentioning it is that I was really impressed by the transcription of the mass à 4 for Viols here, by Phantasm. I think the transcription is either Byrd's or contemporary.

Lévy Noisette's recording is on a really characterful organ!

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on January 17, 2018, 12:53:49 PM
Lévy Noisette's recording is on a really characterful organ!

Yes, and the playing is fully up to this.  It is one of my most treasured Byrd CDs.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: Spineur on January 17, 2018, 11:56:10 AM
Anybody familiar with this box of William Byrd keybord music

and more generally to the William Byrd - must have - discography.

A marvellous set that gets everything right. HIP performances of the highest standard.
Strongly recommended. :)

Another favourite Byrd recording:

[asin]B001CISXK8[/asin]
If you share my reservations on the ethereal "cathedral style" in English early music, this might be for you since this performance convincingly brakes away from that.
Just read the  Amazon review by Gio aka Giordano Bruno....

Q

The One

Quote from: Spineur on January 17, 2018, 11:56:10 AM
Anybody familiar with this box of William Byrd keyboard music

and more generally to the William Byrd - must have - discography.

My must-haves for keyboard are the Moroney set, Hogwood and two other recordings with Sophie Yates playing.

[asin]B000000A60[/asin]

My other must-haves are:

- Carwood's set + The Great Service
- Masses for 3-4-5 Voices by Summerly, Willcocks (including my favorite Ave Verum Corpus and Tallis Scholars
- The Consort Music and Goe Nightly Cares by Fretwork

blablawsky

Something by Donatoni. I'm thinking of getting 'For Grilly; Lied; Lumen; Ash; Arpege; L'Ultima Sera' by Stradivarius. Suggestions on his best recordings are welcome.

Karl Henning

None.  Which is perhaps a bit odd of me.

I am not saying that periodically (practically every day, perhaps, even) someone mentions a recording which triggers an almost autonomic musical interest.  But I consider (!) and feel that, even if it is something which will continue to interest me, there is no rush.

I'm not saying I am on an absolute fast (although, that would not be at all a bad thing), since the Imp of the Perverse might dance on my ganglia;  but I have no plans, either immediate or short-term, for purchases.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 18, 2018, 10:08:04 AM

I am not saying that periodically (practically every day, perhaps, even) someone mentions a recording which triggers an almost autonomic musical interest.  But I consider (!) and feel that, even if it is something which will continue to interest me, there is no rush.

I'm not saying I am on an absolute fast (although, that would not be at all a bad thing), since the Imp of the Perverse might dance on my ganglia;  but I have no plans, either immediate or short-term, for purchases.

Oops.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 18, 2018, 10:08:04 AM

I'm not buying more CDs this month but I do have some that I'm considering to get later. ;)
[asin]B001TKUB40[/asin]
[asin]B008U0FHC8[/asin]
[asin]B00JDZK0CQ[/asin]
[asin]B000GI34CW[/asin]
[asin]B0757DSW7W[/asin]
[asin]B001CISXK8[/asin]
[asin]B00006B1OC[/asin]
[asin]B001AYAL22[/asin]
[asin]B00E9IWW0K[/asin]
[asin]B0001Y4JGQ[/asin]
[asin]B011TQQUOS[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Some excellent considerations, Karlo  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 19, 2018, 04:51:17 AM
Some excellent considerations, Karlo  8)
Cheers, Karl.
I should say the Cozzolani represents the whole Musica Omnia discog of her works, and the other Koechlin box is on my list as well...

My photographs on Flickr

GioCar

Quote from: blablawsky on January 18, 2018, 09:12:24 AM
Something by Donatoni. I'm thinking of getting 'For Grilly; Lied; Lumen; Ash; Arpege; L'Ultima Sera' by Stradivarius. Suggestions on his best recordings are welcome.

I think it's very good the latest one by Stradivarius:

Jo498

Quote from: North Star on January 19, 2018, 04:04:03 AM
I'm not buying more CDs this month but I do have some that I'm considering to get later. ;)
[asin]B001TKUB40[/asin]
[asin]B0001Y4JGQ[/asin]
They are both excellent. I have the Purcell as separate issues and the intimate recording of Dido and Aeneas is my favorite (some singers have slight French accents and there are more dramatic recordings available but it's still my favorite about the 4-5 I have heard or own). The others are also very good in my ears but I have heard only one other recording (Gardiner's) of each and don't know the pieces all that well. Both contain wonderful music (they are more elaborate and more lavishly orchestrated than Dido that was originally written for a girl's school) but they lack the dramatic coherence of Dido.

The main drawback of the Saint-Saens set is that it contains only the famous organ symphony and not all violin works, so if you are a completist you will need additional recordings. I am not (although I do have another complete recording of the violin stuff and also of the piano concerti) so it was good enough for me.
While I think the Purcell collection is hard to beat there are certainly good (and maybe better) and similarly economic options for Saint-Saens.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Jo498 on January 19, 2018, 07:55:22 AM
They are both excellent. I have the Purcell as separate issues and the intimate recording of Dido and Aeneas is my favorite (some singers have slight French accents and there are more dramatic recordings available but it's still my favorite about the 4-5 I have heard or own). The others are also very good in my ears but I have heard only one other recording (Gardiner's) of each and don't know the pieces all that well. Both contain wonderful music (they are more elaborate and more lavishly orchestrated than Dido that was originally written for a girl's school) but they lack the dramatic coherence of Dido.

The main drawback of the Saint-Saens set is that it contains only the famous organ symphony and not all violin works, so if you are a completist you will need additional recordings. I am not (although I do have another complete recording of the violin stuff and also of the piano concerti) so it was good enough for me.
While I think the Purcell collection is hard to beat there are certainly good (and maybe better) and similarly economic options for Saint-Saens.
Thanks. What options did you have in mind for the Saint-Saäens? (I don't think I will be that much of a completist).

My photographs on Flickr

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: North Star on January 19, 2018, 08:12:45 AM
Thanks. What options did you have in mind for the Saint-Saäens? (I don't think I will be that much of a completist).

For the early Saint-Saens symphonies there are not many choices, Pretre or Martinon

[asin]B000026A22[/asin]

[asin]B005FVFWRK[/asin]

If there are other viable options I don't know of them.

North Star

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 19, 2018, 08:31:21 AM
For the early Saint-Saens symphonies there are not many choices, Pretre or Martinon

If there are other viable options I don't know of them.
Thanks, though I think I'm more interested in the piano & cello concertos (I've got the violin concertante works in the set already).

My photographs on Flickr