Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioCar

Quote from: ritter on January 22, 2018, 06:37:04 AM
After recently seeing an exhibition works by Giorgio de Chirico (an artist I'm ambivalent about, to be honest) here in Madrid, I'm considering the purchase of this CD:

Alberto Savinio, whose real name was Andrea Francesco Alberto de Chirico, was Giorgio's younger brother, and was active as a painter, writer and composer, Apparently, he studied under Reger and composed only sporadically, the works contained in this CD dating from around the outbreak of WWI. Some chunks are available on YouTube.

Incidentally, Savinio directed and designed the sets for the performances of Rossini's Armida in Florence in 1952  (starring Maria Callas). If I understand correctly, Savinio died just days before the premiere at the Maggio Musicale.

This is a (clearly "de Chirican") set design for the second act:

[asin]B071WTB7HX[/asin]

I never heard his music, but I have his book Scatola sonora, a collection of his writings on music, published from the '20s to the '50s on the Italian newspaper Il Secolo XX.
VERY enjoyable. It actually is one of the very first books on classical music I read when I was young, it contributed a lot to my love for classical musical in my boyhood.

Just reissued last year

[asin]B0747SNCJF[/asin]

ritter

Quote from: GioCar on January 22, 2018, 08:46:48 AM
I never heard his music, but I have his book Scatola sonora, a collection of his writings on music, published from the '20s to the '50s on the Italian newspaper Il Secolo XX.
VERY enjoyable. It actually is one of the very first books on classical music I read when I was young, it contributed a lot to my love for classical musical in my boyhood.

Just reissued last year

[asin]B0747SNCJF[/asin]
That looks interesting, Gio. Many thanks! Reading the press reviews of the book, though, it seems to me that Savinio, as we say in Spain, "no deja títere con cabeza" (literally, "tears the head off every puppet"  :D).

André

Quote from: Spineur on January 22, 2018, 07:21:00 AM
I was a total nut of di Chirico earlier in my life.  I still like him a lot. If I could buy one of his work at a fair price, I would no hesitate a second.

Even at fair price, I'm afraid my bank balance doesn't boast enough zeros to quaify for a bid  :D

Spineur

Quote from: André on January 22, 2018, 10:40:35 AM
Even at fair price, I'm afraid my bank balance doesn't boast enough zeros to quaify for a bid  :D
I actually made a bid for this one, but the auction price kept going up and up and up....

GioCar

Quote from: ritter on January 22, 2018, 09:18:57 AM
That looks interesting, Gio. Many thanks! Reading the press reviews of the book, though, it seems to me that Savinio, as we say in Spain, "no deja títere con cabeza" (literally, "tears the head off every puppet"  :D).

:D

Of course the book could be a bit outdated and radical now. For example I remember Savinio's very low consideration for some "sacred cow" such as Haydn and Berlioz. But anyway it's very well written and full of wit.

amw

Another Beethoven piano sonatas opinion poll:

I have not heard a note of this.

Todd

Quote from: amw on January 30, 2018, 02:44:30 AM
Another Beethoven piano sonatas opinion poll:

I have not heard a note of this.

Meh. 

The Nuovo Era twofer of the late sonatas is more interesting since Ciccolini uses a Fazioli.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

Que

Quote from: amw on February 03, 2018, 02:40:22 AM

Thoughts?

None other than it caught my interest as well...  :)

I found Belder's recording in 1999 for Brilliant's Bach Edition an already impressive though not sufficiently matured attempt.

After so many years, my expectations are pretty high.

Q

Jo498

So this is a new recording? I had the older one which I found solid but not special enough to keep during a collection slimming several years ago.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

New recording yes. (released 2017)

I listened to variations 25-30 on Qobuz and was generally impressed with his harpsichord style but no time to hear the whole thing or draw any conclusions. I already have a volume of the Brilliant Scarlatti series (volume 7) picked up for $5 on clearance, which I was also pretty impressed with.

Mandryka

In the booklet he says it's his third and last recording. I think it's rather good, emotionally and contrapuntally imaginative, nice sounding instrument.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

blablawsky

This has Sciarrino's 2017 vocal work 'Come se un amico.' Has anybody heard this recording?
https://www.amazon.it/Altri-Volti-Nuovi-2-Angius/dp/B0765J3TZN

Que

blablawsky

Thanks Que, my Amazon button wasn't showing the artwork for some reason.

Que

Quote from: blablawsky on February 09, 2018, 02:03:11 AM
Thanks Que, my Amazon button wasn't showing the artwork for some reason.

No problem.  :) The download and CD have a different asin - only the latter works.

Q

king ubu

Has this thread been unpinned by accident?

--

On topic: any general recommendations for Zig Zag releases? I've got some (Rannou's Rameau and Bach for instance) but the local Outhere distributor has plenty left and I wonder if there are any hidden jewels I'm unaware of and that may be there for takers ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Draško

Quote from: king ubu on February 10, 2018, 04:14:27 AM
On topic: any general recommendations for Zig Zag releases? I've got some (Rannou's Rameau and Bach for instance) but the local Outhere distributor has plenty left and I wonder if there are any hidden jewels I'm unaware of and that may be there for takers ...

Few that came to mind:

Ensemble Organum - Chant de l’église de Rome (pre-gregorian, Byzantine influenced latin chant)

Orphee - Cantates Francaises - Cyril Auvity (Clerambault's Orphee is one of the most beautiful French baroque cantatas)

Alexei Lubimov's Schubert Impromptus and Beethoven late sonatas

amw

agree with the Lubimov recommendations above (don't know Orphée) and would add:

Belcea Quartet Beethoven cycle
Amandine Beyer Bach Sonatas & Partitas, and various other recordings
Lubimov Haydn Seven Last Words on a tangent piano

Jo498

Zigzag:
Immerseel Late Mozart symphonies, Horn concerto (or whatever the fillers are)
Immerseel/Seiler Mozart piano/violin (selection only)
Handel chamber music (oboe/violin etc.) anthology
Monteverdi pieces from Selva morale etc. (I think this ensemble Academia something also recorded some Schütz and Bach but I have not heard those)

if you are into lesser known baroque chamber music (roughly similar to Biber although usually not quite as extravagant, more "meditative")
Westhoff: violin sonatas
Walther: dito "Plaisiers du parnasse" or other fancy titles, maybe there are more I forgot or do not have in my collection
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal