Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: king ubu on February 11, 2018, 11:54:59 PM
Please also point me in the right direction for Walther, I could not find anything, searching for Plantier and Walther (what Walther anyway?) - thanks!

Allow me.... :)

[asin]B000H0MJ98[/asin]

Q

king ubu

Quote from: Jo498 on February 12, 2018, 12:01:11 AM
yes, the Handel is the one you mention ASIN: B000OY6ITY
Johann Jakob Walther, Sonatas from Hortus Chelicus. ASIN: B000H0MJ98
Westhoff: Sonatas for violin & b.c. ASIN: B0007DDR1Y

All seem oop and somewhat pricey, another one is Biber: Fidicinium Sacro Profanum

Quote from: Que on February 12, 2018, 12:01:13 AM
Allow me.... :)

[asin]B000H0MJ98[/asin]

Q

Thank you both!

The Biber is noted, too ... speaking of Biber, how is the rosary release on Zig Zag, by Bismuth/La Tempesta? I can hardly get enough of that music:

[asin]B0002KP4QS[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

amw

Patrick Bismuth is a player who seems to divide opinion a little bit—some people find his violin tone unpleasant and/or object to various mannerisms in his interpretations. I have not heard the entirety of his Rosary Sonatas & wouldn't consider what I did hear to suggest he was a first place contender, but he has interesting ideas that are worth hearing (and the ensemble is excellent). Sample before buying. (Sonata XVI, the "Guardian Angel" passacaglia, is probably a good overview of his strengths and idiosyncrasies.)

king ubu

Quote from: amw on February 12, 2018, 12:46:49 AM
Patrick Bismuth is a player who seems to divide opinion a little bit—some people find his violin tone unpleasant and/or object to various mannerisms in his interpretations. I have not heard the entirety of his Rosary Sonatas & wouldn't consider what I did hear to suggest he was a first place contender, but he has interesting ideas that are worth hearing (and the ensemble is excellent). Sample before buying. (Sonata XVI, the "Guardian Angel" passacaglia, is probably a good overview of his strengths and idiosyncrasies.)

Thanks! I've got at least half a dozen recordings, so I'm not really in dire need of more ... if it's there, I'll see if I can sample.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

amw

I think I might have..... 15 recordings? Something like that? Plus a few I've ripped or downloaded but haven't listened to yet. The Rosary Sonatas Blind Comparison is probably coming eventually once I'm done with all my doctorate stuff >.>

(of course, I am also obviously insane)

Jo498

I don't know the recording of the Mystery sonatas; it is also a different ensemble.
But most of these German/Austrian Baroque zigzag discs  seem rare now, so while this could be a sign that a box of them is overdue, this might not be the case and this repertoire is not terribly well covered (except for the mystery sonatas), so it might be good to get them if your provider does have some copies left for a normal price.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

Quote from: Jo498 on February 12, 2018, 01:44:54 AM
I don't know the recording of the Mystery sonatas; it is also a different ensemble.
But most of these German/Austrian Baroque zigzag discs  seem rare now, so while this could be a sign that a box of them is overdue, this might not be the case and this repertoire is not terribly well covered (except for the mystery sonatas), so it might be good to get them if your provider does have some copies left for a normal price.

The price is not the problem ... been there often enough that they give me a very attractive price  :)

Regarding German/Austrian Baroque, last time I went through their Zig Zag shelves, I took this one with me, and it's wonderful:

[asin]B00DSTQXSI[/asin]

However, I have no idea how many of the items in question may still be in stock.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Janos Starker's 1957 1950-1952 recording of the Bach suites
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mandryka on February 26, 2018, 08:01:07 AM

Janos Starker's 1957 recording of the Bach suites

The cover seems to say 1950-2, not 1957.

Mandryka

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2018, 08:19:22 AM
The cover seems to say 1950-2, not 1957.

My fault, I'll edit.

In 1989 I went to a dinner party with my partner's father, who was interested in music. He said that his favourite recording was Starker's Mercury Living Presence Bach, which I duly bought, played and thought was pretty boring.

Thirty years later I'm finally enjoying Starker so much that I want to collect all his Bach suites recordings!

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 26, 2018, 08:01:07 AM

Janos Starker's 1957 recording of the Bach suites

His first (incomplete) set. A relatively good transfer by Alain Deguernel.

I like Starker's rather clinical style, he plays so to say mentally starkers - as a counterweight to some more passionate performances, so to me this set was mandatory.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 26, 2018, 08:23:46 AM
His first (incomplete) set. A relatively good transfer by Alain Deguernel.

I like Starker's rather clinical style, he plays so to say mentally starkers - as a counterweight to some more passionate performances, so to me this set was mandatory.

Significantly distinguished from his late 50's cycle with EMI?

Mandryka

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2018, 08:24:45 AM

That is the question.

Mandryka

Ah we're  all posting at the same time, I shall buy the recording, I wish more decisions in life were that easy!

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2018, 08:24:45 AM

Not radically different, but as a completist in these matters I need of course both and a lot more.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

If I can ever find this set, I'd buy it in a heartbeat:

Baron Scarpia

I have all of the major works of Debussy, most in more than one recording. But I'm attracted to this:

[asin]B076D14CFP[/asin]

What interests me is all of the melodie, all of the transcriptions of various works for piano, two pianos, or piano 4 hands, and some very good performances that I don't have. (And the price, of course.)