Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

We certainly discussed the box to a limited extent before. I only know very little, namely one disc of choral works with Sinopoli. I don't like that one so much, except for Fassbaender in the Alto Rhapsody. (Part of the problem is the sound that seems thin and weak and not really typical 1980s quality.)
But the rhapsody is the one best represented (together with the Requiem) and there are many good recordings, so it should not be the main reason for getting such a box.
For the shorter choral works (Schicksalslied, Nänie etc.) I prefer Davis/Bavarian/RCA and Abbado/Berlin/DG. But there is no Triumphlied with either, I am not really aware of any other recording of this piece, so Sinopoli might be the main/only choice for Triumphlied. (It has a bad reputation, partly because it was composed in patriotic fervor after the victory of the 1870/71 war against France.)
I have not heard the choral works with Jena; I assume they are solid (there is another East German recording on Berlin Classics with Hausschild, I think) but I had the impression that they have been somewhat superseded by more recent efforts such as Matt's in a cheap Brilliant box or, for noncomplete (3 or 4 discs?) Creed/Berlin on hm.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 01, 2018, 06:23:41 PM
  If you are on the fence about the EMI Gieseking Debussy, I would suggest saving some money by getting an older/cheaper copy.  I was comparing the "remastered" for SACD set to my old one, and for my 51 year old ears, the sound was not better.

:o

Not my experience.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 02, 2018, 06:17:20 AM
:o

Not my experience.

I just went back and played around some more, and will partially emend my comments.  I compared the 2009 low budget "Icon" box (which I now see is remastered--hadn't noticed that before) to the SACDS, on a very good system, and to me they are indistinguishable.  However, an older EMI set (in a pink box) is definitely murky and wonky by comparison.
  Of course your ears and/or stereo system may be better than mine....
It's all good...

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 07, 2018, 12:48:37 AM
   I just went back and played around some more, and will partially emend my comments.  I compared the 2009 low budget "Icon" box (which I now see is remastered--hadn't noticed that before) to the SACDS, on a very good system, and to me they are indistinguishable.

There were more remastering than I was aware of.

This one definitely gave me no pleasure (1995 master).

[asin]B000002S6Z[/asin]

The SACD release (which I have) and the new one seem to be the same (the new one being the CD layer of the hybrid SACDs, 2012 masters).

[asin]B0079J283C[/asin]
[asin]B071P1LWXJ[/asin]

I had assumed the ICON box contained the same 1995 masters, but you say they are new (2008)?

[asin]B001QEJQZ4[/asin]

I'm left with one question. Is the Ravel in the ICON box better mastered than the previous issue (which is a 2001 master)?

[asin]B00005ONOX[/asin]

Mirror Image

Currently under consideration:

I'm sure there are more...

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 09, 2018, 04:15:18 PM
Currently under consideration:

Yes.

:D

I can give you a more detailed answer if you wish. But there are works for which this is the only recording as far as I know, and while there are cases where the BIS series is better, there are also a couple of works where in my view this is the better option.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Turner

I had Austbø in Satie, but it's very mainstream, nothing special IMO - and a limited choice of works, of course.

The new erato

Quote from: Madiel on April 10, 2018, 03:45:08 AM
Yes.

I can give you a more detailed answer if you wish. But there are works for which this is the only recording as far as I know, and while there are cases where the BIS series is better, there are also a couple of works where in my view this is the better option.
He will buy it anyway in a few minutes.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 09, 2018, 04:15:18 PMI'm sure there are more...
Hmmm, I didn't know about that Staier/Schumann disc. I don't know if you will buy it, but it looks interesting.

North Star

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 10, 2018, 06:16:13 AM
Hmmm, I didn't know about that Staier/Schumann disc. I don't know if you will buy it, but it looks interesting.
It's a set of his 3 earlier recordings.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 09, 2018, 11:21:13 AM

I had assumed the ICON box contained the same 1995 masters, but you say they are new (2008)?

No, the whole box is 2009, but the masterings for various disks are different years.  The preludes are the 1995 masters.
It's all good...

André

Yes.

I'm torn. I have 2 individual discs from that series of the chamber concertos (out of 4) and a third one can be had for very cheap, but there is one (vol. 2) which remains elusive. And I don't have the Sinfonias or Kairos. It's like 50/50...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on April 10, 2018, 03:59:13 AM
I had Austbø in Satie, but it's very mainstream, nothing special IMO - and a limited choice of works, of course.
Yes.

Thanks to you both!

Quote from: The new erato on April 10, 2018, 06:00:12 AM
He will buy it anyway in a few minutes.

:P

Madiel

Quote from: André on April 10, 2018, 05:51:41 PM
I'm torn. I have 2 individual discs from that series of the chamber concertos (out of 4) and a third one can be had for very cheap, but there is one (vol. 2) which remains elusive. And I don't have the Sinfonias or Kairos. It's like 50/50...

Yes, volume 2 seems to be the hardest to get old of. But that might also be because it's in one sense the most valuable, with none of the pieces being otherwise available.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

https://dutchbaroquerecords.nl/product/famvannoordtklankdocument/

So far it's proving impossible to get it shipped to the UK. Help!!!!! If you email them they will post it internationally.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on April 10, 2018, 05:51:41 PM

Go on buy it. You know you want to. ;)

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2018, 01:58:53 PM

I know I do  :D. It's just that it'll have to wait until I've digested my latest splurge. In any case, it won't disappear any time soon. Hopefully... ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on April 16, 2018, 04:08:10 PM
I know I do  :D. It's just that it'll have to wait until I've digested my latest splurge. In any case, it won't disappear any time soon. Hopefully... ::)

8)

Mandryka

Nicholas Parle Bach Partitas. Some substantial clips here

http://www.nicholasparle.com/recordings/
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2018, 01:58:53 PM

I did, and it's in  ;). I'll wait a bit before tearing the cellophane of that Holmboe set though. Right now I'm busy listening to Berg and Lutoslawski.  :)