Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 03, 2018, 04:33:08 AM
I did, and it's in  ;). I'll wait a bit before tearing the cellophane of that Holmboe set though. Right now I'm busy listening to Berg and Lutoslawski.  :)

8) It's a nice looking set I must say. Enjoy! I haven't even listened to any of it (yet).

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2018, 02:43:17 AM

Nicholas Parle Bach Partitas. Some substantial clips here

http://www.nicholasparle.com/recordings/

This is too stiff, for me this alone is a deal breaker. And on top of that, he's not a colourist or a creator of varied textures. For these reasons, this is not at all recommendable IMO.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 07, 2018, 07:36:50 AM
This is too stiff, for me this alone is a deal breaker. And on top of that, he's not a colourist or a creator of varied textures. For these reasons, this is not at all recommendable IMO.

Thanks. I had some idea that it would be like that, and this is why I have passed it by so far (and shall continue to do).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Moonfish

Hmm, I'm actually considering this (being attracted to archaic recordings) so I'm reposting it from the super bargain thread.  Is this just a peculiar rehash of some other compilation?

"I need your collective minds!

Anybody here familiar with this new box set? "Legendary Soviet Recordings"; 100 cds, Yedang Classics label.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B079967KGY/?coliid=I38NUDMGSTQ0XR&colid=11AMI4Z7BAR66&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
It is definitely a bargain in terms of the price - it is currently about USD 95 shipped to the US.

More detailed info here (in rough translation): https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&sp=nmt4&u=http://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2018/01/26/1109&xid=17259,15700021,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700186,15700189,15700201

I suspect that sound will be an issue, but the Yedang release is still alluring from an archaeological and esoteric perspective.  Any thoughts?

It reminds me of the large compilation that Brilliant Classics issued about ten years ago:"

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

I'd pass on it, Peter. Not unless you like screechy, harshly distorted Soviet Era recordings.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2018, 09:13:03 AM
I'd pass on it, Peter. Not unless you like screechy, harshly distorted Soviet Era recordings.

It could be great for those late night Russian vodka competitions? Besides, if one plays it loud enough one cannot hear the screechy ambience....
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2018, 08:24:15 AMI suspect that sound will be an issue, but the Yedang release is still alluring from an archaeological and esoteric perspective.  Any thoughts?

I tolerate audio limitations when it comes to music created in a different culture that no longer exists, such as the Paris Conservatory Orchestra in the 1950's, etc. Cluytens' old mono recording of Tombeau de Couperin, for instance.

I also distinguish between audio limited by technical limitations and audio which is poorly engineered. There are mono recordings made in the 50's I find more satisfying than some digital recordings made relatively recently. Cluytens' mono Tombeau de Couperin sounds better to me than the Boulez recording made by DGG in the 1990's.

Mookalafalas

Actually, very few of the recordings are very old, not old enough to be "scratchy" or "distorted"--although they could certainly be muffled, poorly mixed, or noisy.  The two JP amazon reviews are opposite, unfortunately.  The one-star guy does not make clear why he thought the disks were bad--whether it was performance or technical issues. I have one bargain box of old Russian recordings that are all quite good, soundwise. There is mention of lots of coughing in the live recordings.  That can be problematic, perhaps.  I hate to encourage you to buy a box, but unless you have changed dramatically since your sojourn from GMG, it won't matter because you will have already put in your order ;) 
It's all good...

Moonfish

Ah, Al, you know me so well. How can you remember the compulsion..?   >:D
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2018, 08:36:23 PM
Ah, Al, you know me so well. How can you remember the compulsion..?   >:D

Because it's a sickness that not only affects you, but many members here as well (myself included). ;) ;D

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2018, 08:56:28 PM
Because it's a sickness that not only affects you, but many members here as well (myself included). ;) ;D

Oh, he knows. That's why he put the  >:D up next to it.

Anyway, Peter, let us know how it sounds! I'm curious about it, especially at that price.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 08, 2018, 12:58:38 AM
Oh, he knows. That's why he put the  >:D up next to it.

Anyway, Peter, let us know how it sounds! I'm curious about it, especially at that price.

It arrived today (Amazon JP are amazing - they ship DHL without any extra fees) and so far so good. I like it quite a bit, but I need to dig further.   :)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2018, 08:56:28 PM

Ha ha! Yes, I know the symptoms.....
Besides, you are probably the most frequent contributor to the "Purchased Today" thread? No?   0:)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 07, 2018, 02:01:10 PM
I tolerate audio limitations when it comes to music created in a different culture that no longer exists, such as the Paris Conservatory Orchestra in the 1950's, etc. Cluytens' old mono recording of Tombeau de Couperin, for instance.

I also distinguish between audio limited by technical limitations and audio which is poorly engineered. There are mono recordings made in the 50's I find more satisfying than some digital recordings made relatively recently. Cluytens' mono Tombeau de Couperin sounds better to me than the Boulez recording made by DGG in the 1990's.

Well stated, Baron Scarpia! One definitely needs to be more forgiving to these niches - I feel the same way and extend it into all kinds of realms including film.  At times I'm surprised how good the sound can be in the recordings from the 1950s.
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 09, 2018, 01:40:02 PM
Well stated, Baron Scarpia! One definitely needs to be more forgiving to these niches - I feel the same way and extend it into all kinds of realms including film.  At times I'm surprised how good the sound can be in the recordings from the 1950s.

I'm also surprised that there can be such a variation. I recall listening to two recordings from the EMI Icon Silvestri Box from about the same date and one was much more satisfying than the other in terms of audio quality. Presumably they had essentially the same equipment. I notice that on EMI Walter Legge productions are often first rate. I suspect he was a perfectionist who worked hard to get quality on the tape beyond what could be conveyed on the LP records of the time.

In any case, listened to Cluytens' recording of Schumann 4 last evening, 1950, EMI, a French radio orchestra. Sound was not ideal but the imagination can be used to mentally reconstruct what must have transpired in the studio to produce the recording. A performance full of life, and belying the prejudice that the old French orchestras were not up to high technical standards.

Brian

What Chopin Institute label CDs are essential? They're on sale at MDT and sales are rare with this label (I think).

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on May 11, 2018, 09:00:31 AM
What Chopin Institute label CDs are essential? They're on sale at MDT and sales are rare with this label (I think).

They're all on Spotify I think so it's easy to check them out.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Draško

Quote from: Brian on May 11, 2018, 09:00:31 AM

Not really essential, but I remember liking Goerner's recording of Ballades.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 09, 2018, 01:37:52 PM
Ha ha! Yes, I know the symptoms.....
Besides, you are probably the most frequent contributor to the "Purchased Today" thread? No?   0:)

:)

Yep, I'd say I'm a frequent contributor to that thread, but it seems that currently my purchases have been much more infrequent. I hope to keep it this way. [Crossing fingers...]

Alek Hidell

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara