Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 13, 2018, 08:21:46 PM
The Nielsen [Salonen] is the one that stands out in my mind as just rather dull.

A tad polished, I think - but not dull.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mookalafalas

Well, I appreciate everyone's efforts to help out on the Salonen box.  I had had the impression that he was very well thought of here at GMG, but seems that the enthusiasm (and the detractions) are all rather lukewarmish.  Oh, and Ozawa's Mahler sucks :-\
It's all good...

Mr. Minnow

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this:

I have quite a few recordings of the Goldbergs already but this one does look interesting and reviews I've seen elsewhere are very positive. Two other recordings, which don't seem to have attracted much attention, are Dirksen (Etcetera) and Dubreuil (Ramee). Anyone familiar with those?

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on May 18, 2018, 12:22:21 PM
I'd be interested to hear opinions on this:

I have quite a few recordings of the Goldbergs already but this one does look interesting and reviews I've seen elsewhere are very positive. Two other recordings, which don't seem to have attracted much attention, are Dirksen (Etcetera) and Dubreuil (Ramee). Anyone familiar with those?

I'm familiar with Hakkinen and Dubreuil, and they're both on streaming, rather than say what I think I won't spoil it for you when you listen for yourself.  But what I really want to say is please do get Dirksen please and write a review because I haven't heard it. I like his AoF very much so I'm curious a little bit about his Goldbergs.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on May 20, 2018, 12:31:47 PM
I'm familiar with Hakkinen and Dubreuil, and they're both on streaming, rather than say what I think I won't spoil it for you when you listen for yourself.  But what I really want to say is please do get Dirksen please and write a review because I haven't heard it. I like his AoF very much so I'm curious a little bit about his Goldbergs.

I've never used a streaming service as I never sign up to anything unless I really have to. Couldn't find Hakkinen or Dubreuil on Youtube either, so I can only go on samples. My knowledge of music theory and the technicalities of performance practice is limited so I'm not sure how much use I could be even if I do get the Dirksen (which I still might), but based on the samples, my impression is that Dubreuil and Hakkinen are more towards the brisker, more extrovert end of the spectrum while Dirksen sounds more restrained and introspective. Only samples though, so I could be way off on all three!

Madiel

Posting across from the Sibelius thread. Any views on preferred versions of the piano music? I have my eyes on these two options:

[asin]B000OCZ89C[/asin][asin]B019D93B18[/asin]

With a focus on performance, not on slightly insane prices for one of them (it might be cheaper to scrounge the separate discs in fact)...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Madiel on May 20, 2018, 04:05:07 PM
Posting across from the Sibelius thread. Any views on preferred versions of the piano music? I have my eyes on these two options:

[asin]B000OCZ89C[/asin][asin]B019D93B18[/asin]

With a focus on performance, not on slightly insane prices for one of them (it might be cheaper to scrounge the separate discs in fact)...
I have the first. I think it's very good. I feel she gets the style quite well. Here is a review on musicweb that talks about it more in depth: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/May08/Sibelius_piano_ALC5001.htm
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Madiel

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 20, 2018, 04:15:36 PM
I have the first. I think it's very good. I feel she gets the style quite well. Here is a review on musicweb that talks about it more in depth: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/May08/Sibelius_piano_ALC5001.htm

Ta. Yes I saw that review last night, one of several things that seemed to be positive about her set. Good to have it endorsed here as well.

After sampling I went back to sampling Gimse on Naxos again and... he's definitely blander.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Madiel on May 20, 2018, 04:26:30 PM
Ta. Yes I saw that review last night, one of several things that seemed to be positive about her set. Good to have it endorsed here as well.

After sampling I went back to sampling Gimse on Naxos again and... he's definitely blander.
There are some samples on youtube too. Here are a few samples from there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1AHxD3CMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps6-uw1F6S0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFUhk2RVtLw

She creates the mood extremely well.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

I have two Sibelius recitals, one by Folke Gräsbeck on the composer's own piano (BIS SACD) and one by Leif Over Andsnes. Have only heard the Andsnes once but I consider both essential and listen to the BIS album more than I ever expected to. As a Gimse fan it does pain me to say, but these are the kind of piano pieces that sound pretty interesting in good hands, but Great in Great hands.

milk

[asin]B00CIWOKOA[/asin]
[asin]B008BJTNEQ[/asin]
Any thoughts by anyone?

Mookalafalas

just found these at my local shop, about $100 each.  Quite an outlay, but there are 20DVDs or so. However, I have no idea how good they are (how the sound is, mixing/engineering, photography quality, etc.). Anybody have any experience with either of these?

[asin]B0779G7KF9[/asin]

[asin]B017WZ7W38[/asin]
It's all good...

Mr. Minnow

Reviews of this one are generally positive. On the other hand I have a lot of Beethoven cycles already, and that includes the Prazak and Cremona, which I've seen the Belcea compared to. I'm therefore wondering if (assuming the comparison is accurate) the Belcea are different enough to the Prazak and Cremona to be worth getting. Anyone familiar enough with these sets to comment?

Moonfish

Thoughts?

[asin] B073H4RZF2[/asin]

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

I love Badura-Skoda, and recommend getting his stuff. BUT, those boxes are weird. "The Edition" is really just a big sampling. His complete Haydn sonatas? The rest of his LvB (well, admittedly, they may not be on DG...) The Schubert is awesome, but somewhere down the road I suspect they are going to put out a really good, big box that will have all the other good stuff and make these redundant in your collection. 
It's all good...

milk

Quote from: milk on May 23, 2018, 07:33:46 PM
[asin]B008BJTNEQ[/asin]
I haven't seen this kind of instrumental pairing before. Hmm...thought I'd try one more time to see if anyone has any thoughts on this...I might pull the trigger.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 25, 2018, 05:32:02 PM
I love Badura-Skoda, and recommend getting his stuff. BUT, those boxes are weird. "The Edition" is really just a big sampling. His complete Haydn sonatas? The rest of his LvB (well, admittedly, they may not be on DG...) The Schubert is awesome, but somewhere down the road I suspect they are going to put out a really good, big box that will have all the other good stuff and make these redundant in your collection.

Hmm, yes, they are probably plotting a big Badura-Skoda edition for 2027 to celebrate the centennial of his birth.
Ah, nine years to go!  :'( :'( :'(
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on May 25, 2018, 04:26:15 PM

Reviews of this one are generally positive. On the other hand I have a lot of Beethoven cycles already, and that includes the Prazak and Cremona, which I've seen the Belcea compared to. I'm therefore wondering if (assuming the comparison is accurate) the Belcea are different enough to the Prazak and Cremona to be worth getting. Anyone familiar enough with these sets to comment?

I have it. I can't say it made a big impression one way or the other.

amw

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on May 25, 2018, 04:26:15 PM

The Belceas used to be my favourite overall cycle—I preferred them to the Pražáks and Cremonas, in part because especially the Pražáks seemed to be constantly on the "fast and rough" setting. The Belceas are capable of very soft pianissimos, can hold the vibrato in reserve and have a strong and individual interpretive approach. Listen to e.g. Op. 132, with its 19 minute+ unusually hushed Heiliger Dankgesang, or the Grosse Fuge which for violence and passion beats out most competitors, or the theatrical inwardness of the Cavatina of Op. 130. Obviously, whether you like the sound of any individual string quartet is a pretty subjective matter.