Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Gordo on July 20, 2018, 04:52:41 AM
I don't know that disk, but this recalled me that Benjamin Alard recorded some years ago this collection on Alpha, in beautiful and calm renditions, full of color. There is also an excellent disk of the same repertoire performed on 2 lautenwercke, by Shawn Leopard and John Paul. Just in case...  :)

[asin]B002DMIJNS[/asin]

[asin]B00004SCDO[/asin]

My problem with the trio sonatas is this: there's a performance that I really love so much that everyone else's is slightly disappointing. Probably most people wouldn't even think it's any good, it's just me. This is Piet Wiersma's BWV 525. But yes, Alard is very excellent. It's such a shame that Leonhardt didn't try and play them, presumably they are too difficult in the pedals.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 20, 2018, 11:32:48 AM
My problem with the trio sonatas is this: there's a performance that I really love so much that everyone else's is slightly disappointing. Probably most people wouldn't even think it's any good, it's just me. This is Piet Wiersma's BWV 525.

I think that very few know Wiersma's recordings. But being one of those (thanks to a good friend) I can't but agree with you.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Schütz, Heinrich - Symphoniae Sacrae - three volumes, 2 CDs each - do not own these works - anyone familiar w/ the performances - waiting for some VISA Amazon credit to appear on my account and would like to purchase - Dave :)

André

Absalon, Fili mi from the first series is one of my favourite pieces from that period, which I all too infrequently visit. Hearing 4 clips from JPC's web site, it's obvious to me that the Carus is the closest to my ideal (the CPO version is not bad either). The brass are simply magnificent, and the soloist's expression just right (it's about King Saul lamenting over his son Absalon, who has turned against him and got killed by Saul's soldiers).

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 20, 2018, 12:27:17 PM
I think that very few know Wiersma's recordings. But being one of those (thanks to a good friend) I can't but agree with you.

After I made that post I listened to Bram Beekman play all six, they're scattered over different CDs from the set. It's really very good.

akebergv

Quote from: André on July 20, 2018, 04:44:49 PM
Absalon, Fili mi from the first series is one of my favourite pieces from that period, which I all too infrequently visit. Hearing 4 clips from JPC's web site, it's obvious to me that the Carus is the closest to my ideal (the CPO version is not bad either). The brass are simply magnificent, and the soloist's expression just right (it's about King Saul lamenting over his son Absalon, who has turned against him and got killed by Saul's soldiers).

Sorry to be churlish, but you got your kings mixed up. Absalom was the third son of David (who therefore is the one grieving), while Saul's one son was Jonathan. I fully agree with you about the piece, however, which is magnificent.

Florestan

Quote from: akebergv on July 21, 2018, 07:26:55 AM
Sorry to be churlish, but you got your kings mixed up. Absalom was the third son of David (who therefore is the one grieving), while Saul's one son was Jonathan. I fully agree with you about the piece, however, which is magnificent.

What's churlish about correcting a supposedly inadvertent mistake, I wonder?
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

André

Quote from: akebergv on July 21, 2018, 07:26:55 AM

Of course you are right! I mixed David and Saul, who has nothing to do in this story!

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on July 20, 2018, 04:44:49 PM

Thanks André for your comments - attached is a review of the 3rd set of releases w/ comments on the others - again will await some VISA credit on Amazon.  Dave :)

Malx

Does anyone have any thoughts on Thomas Demenga's  live set of the Bach Cello Suites.

DaveF

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 20, 2018, 03:33:57 PM
Schütz, Heinrich - Symphoniae Sacrae - three volumes, 2 CDs each - do not own these works - anyone familiar w/ the performances - waiting for some VISA Amazon credit to appear on my account and would like to purchase - Dave :)

11 earlier volumes of this complete Schütz series have been bundled up by Qobuz at an extra-super-duper bargain price: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/schutz-complete-recording-hans-christoph-rademann-dresdner-kammerchor/4009350830417.  Not including any of these three, and sadly not available to you, Dave, in NC, but any Western Europeans could hardly do better than stump up the £15.99 required.  With the exception of the Italian Madrigals, which they get spectacularly wrong (big choir sound for what should surely be OVPP), the Dresdners are excellent.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

North Star

Quote from: DaveF on July 23, 2018, 01:59:49 PM
11 earlier volumes of this complete Schütz series have been bundled up by Qobuz at an extra-super-duper bargain price: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/schutz-complete-recording-hans-christoph-rademann-dresdner-kammerchor/4009350830417.  Not including any of these three, and sadly not available to you, Dave, in NC, but any Western Europeans could hardly do better than stump up the £15.99 required.  With the exception of the Italian Madrigals, which they get spectacularly wrong (big choir sound for what should surely be OVPP), the Dresdners are excellent.
That is indeed a sweet price for the download, but the series seems to be available in physical box sets, too. I'll have to look into these too, since I have managed to avoid buying any Schütz so far, but recall enjoying very much his works, sampling them years ago.
[asin]B01KBGTD5U[/asin]
[asin]B074TK6QNX[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

André

Marcel Landowski was the 'pope' of french music in the De Gaulle / Malraux government, chosen above Boulez, who never forgave Malraux and went in self-imposed exile in Darmstadt. France's newly anointed Generalmusikdirektor was in charge of building up the network of regional orchestras, opera houses and conservatories. He also reorganized the old Orchestre de la Société  des concerts du Conservatoire, which was beefed up and renamed the Orchestre de Paris, to be headed by Charles Munch, pulled out of retirement pour le service de la Patrie. Landowski was France's first Directeur de la Musique since Lully.

His music was tonal, but at times distantly so, much given to dissonance and rythmic complexities, and certainly much influenced by Honegger. For those who have the EMI Icon box of Martinon recordings, CD 4 has Landowski's second symphony and second piano concerto. Both works are outstanding in their austere beauty and powerful atmosphere. This 9 cd box is never discounted, but the price is very reasonable. I'm much tempted to add the rest of his output to the Martinon disc. According to french Wiki, his vocal music (operatic or choral) is the most impressive part of his output. It should be noted that, as of the date of issue, Landowski was still composing, so his very latest works (such as the 5th symphony) are not to be found in this box. He died in 1999.

Mandryka

Quote from: Malx on July 23, 2018, 12:12:52 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on Thomas Demenga's  live set of the Bach Cello Suites.

Short speech like phrasing.  At the level of feeling, there's no melodrama. Nevertheless, in some of the pieces there are subtle mood changes. Gruff celllo sound. Well recorded.

Que

Quote from: North Star on July 23, 2018, 02:16:49 PM
That is indeed a sweet price for the download, but the series seems to be available in physical box sets, too. I'll have to look into these too, since I have managed to avoid buying any Schütz so far, but recall enjoying very much his works, sampling them years ago.
[asin]B01KBGTD5U[/asin]
[asin]B074TK6QNX[/asin]

Though I've invested in the series and got several separate volumes, It's probably still worth my while to get the boxed sets.
As I understand, these come with a booklet with liner notes and texts - the latter in German only... (!)

I find Rademann's Schütz very good indeed, though his weak point seems to be the smaller scale works.
Like the Italian Madrigals, which are done with larger forces and lack of intimacy. I found his recording of the Psalmen Davids wasn't quite convincing either....

But I've only scratched the surface of the totality of Schütz' output.
As things stand, I might get Rademann's edition and get handpicked additional recordings of the pieces in which I find Rademann unsatisfactory.

Q

North Star

Quote from: Que on July 23, 2018, 10:42:15 PM
As things stand, I might get Rademann's edition and get handpicked additional recordings of the pieces in which I find Rademann unsatisfactory.
Q
I will probably follow the same plan.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Malx

Quote from: Mandryka on July 23, 2018, 09:54:28 PM
Short speech like phrasing.  At the level of feeling, there's no melodrama. Nevertheless, in some of the pieces there are subtle mood changes. Gruff celllo sound. Well recorded.

Thanks for the succinct appraisal Mandrayka.
Having sampled a few of the suites on spotify I can understand (I think) your comments. I enjoyed what I heard as being different yet interesting enough from the recordings I already own, so an order has been placed.
I do have a liking for live recordings which can transmit a sense of occasion which often counterbalances any minor imperfections.

Mr. Minnow

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on July 26, 2018, 03:10:52 PM
Anyone heard this?

A while ago I was completely bowled over by this

and I subsequently listened to all the recordings that Balbeisi and Marin made together. I like the timbre of her voice, and her introverted approach to music making, Marin is quite able to support her. That Italian one is soulful and evocative.

(By the way, I've been really enjoying Sequentia's Cd called "English Songs of the Middle Ages" recently.)

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on July 26, 2018, 10:32:29 PM
A while ago I was completely bowled over by this

and I subsequently listened to all the recordings that Balbeisi and Marin made together. I like the timbre of her voice, and her introverted approach to music making, Marin is quite able to support her. That Italian one is soulful and evocative.

(By the way, I've been really enjoying Sequentia's Cd called "English Songs of the Middle Ages" recently.)

Thanks for that. Unfortunately La Viola d'Arc seems to be unavailable, but the samples of Segreti Accenti sounded pretty good so I've ordered it.

I have that Sequentia CD, and I agree, it's great.