Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on July 27, 2018, 03:11:55 PM
Thanks for that. Unfortunately La Viola d'Arc seems to be unavailable

That's a shame.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

North Star

Quote from: Que on July 23, 2018, 10:42:15 PM
Though I've invested in the series and got several separate volumes, It's probably still worth my while to get the boxed sets.
As I understand, these come with a booklet with liner notes and texts - the latter in German only... (!)

Q
It says "English texts included" at the back of the boxes on Amazon, so it would seem that there are indeed English translations of the texts.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Que

Quote from: North Star on July 29, 2018, 09:01:39 AM
It says "English texts included" at the back of the boxes on Amazon, so it would seem that there are indeed English translations of the texts.

Indeed, which seems clear enough.  :)

I got my conflicting information from the one Amazon review:

There is also a very comprehensive booklet about the music and the performers (again, in German and English) and another of the libretto, although sadly the latter is only in German.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01MCQG4W6/

Q

PS A possible explanation could be that there is a German edition that got into circulation first...

Mr. Minnow

I don't have a recording of the Goldbergs on clavichord so I'm interested to know what anyone here thinks of this: 

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on August 04, 2018, 04:50:51 PM
I don't have a recording of the Goldbergs on clavichord so I'm interested to know what anyone here thinks of this: 

Hello - cannot comment on the recording you posted - I have a lot of Goldberg Variations recordings, including a double disc set (inserted above) w/ Jaroslav Tuma on the ARTA label - my cover art is different but includes him doing these keyboard works on a clavichord and also on a harpsichord; I enjoy the clavichord so will be interested in comments from others - attached is a MusicWeb review of the CD you posted.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Tsalka's recording is sensual, spontaneous, and emotional. It's a hoot! One has the impression of a young virtuoso relishing entertaining his audience with a lively bit of music. He uses two clavichords, both characterful, colourful and twangy, played with gusto.

Tuma's recording is rational, ordered, and self-disciplined. It is serious and calm! One has the impression of a mature savant engaged in a probing exploration of a monument of western culture. He uses a very refined clavichord which he plays with subtle nuances and polish.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 04, 2018, 11:44:10 PM
Tsalka's recording is sensual, spontaneous, and emotional. It's a hoot! One has the impression of a young virtuoso relishing entertaining his audience with a lively bit of music. He uses two clavichords, both characterful, colourful and twangy, played with gusto.

How do you think it would compare to Rübsam's in thes respects?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 05, 2018, 12:30:25 AM

How do you think it would compare to Rübsam's in thes respects?

You'll have to wait till this time next week for an answer. But Tsalka is a virtuoso, and Rubsam hates that!

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 05, 2018, 01:48:56 AM
You'll have to wait till this time next week for an answer.

Mmm..

Quote from: Mandryka
But Tsalka is a virtuoso, and Rubsam hates that!

This is also why I think I prefer Rübsam.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

Does anyone have favorite box sets of Domenico Scarlatti on piano? I'm collecting consistently fresh, imaginative piano recitals available on single CDs or twofers, but was curious if there are any noteworthy boxes where I can get a bunch of goodies at once. Only one I know of is Zacharias/EMI?

Mr. Minnow

Thanks for the replies on Tsalka. Sounds interesting, so I've ordered it. I didn't know about Tuma's set, but the samples of both the clavichord and harpsichord versions do sound really good. It's a shame it's not that widely available and it's not cheap either, but I must admit I'm tempted.....

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on August 04, 2018, 11:44:10 PM

Tuma's recording is rational, ordered, and self-disciplined. It is serious and calm! One has the impression of a mature savant engaged in a probing exploration of a monument of western culture. He uses a very refined clavichord which he plays with subtle nuances and polish.

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on August 05, 2018, 04:04:44 PM
Thanks for the replies on Tsalka. Sounds interesting, so I've ordered it. I didn't know about Tuma's set, but the samples of both the clavichord and harpsichord versions do sound really good. It's a shame it's not that widely available and it's not cheap either, but I must admit I'm tempted.....

Thanks Mandryka for the comments above - decided to do a MP3 purchase from Amazon of the Tsalka CD - put on my iPod and also burned to CD-R - listening now on my den stereo, and agree w/ your comments, i.e. enthusiastic and very 'up-front' recordings for a clavichord which is usually a quieter instrument - BUT am enjoying.  The DL came w/ the booklet which is rather brief - would have like more information, especially regarding specifics on the instruments (now, there is a little bit to wet the appetite but not enough for me).  I'll have to play my Tuma clavichord CD to compare w/ your notes - thanks again.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on August 05, 2018, 04:04:44 PM

I like what Tuma does with the music very much, both clavichord and harpsichord.

Zeus

I'm looking for an enjoyable disc of very early organ music, possibly mixed with other instruments.  I'm not looking for longer, more complicated, or demanding compositions.  Just something relatively "light" that shows off the timbre (if that's the word) of one or more early organs, and helps me appreciate later developments in the instrument.  I suppose either Italian or German composers, but I'm flexible.

Maybe a crazy request. 

Any ideas?
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Mandryka

Easy peasy.

When I read your post two CDs came straight to mind. First, "Fortuna Desperata" by Daniel Beilschmidt. The only problem is that it's on a modern organ - a very good modern organ! And second, the CD called "Jeux d'orgue et de voix" by Jean Patrice Brosse, which is, like, music from the time of François 1er.

If not,  there's  "Gothic Pipes" and "The First Printed Organ Music" by Kimberly Marshall and  "Buxheimer Orgelbuch" by Josef Kelemen. You might also get something out of the Kelemen recording of music by Hans Leo Hassler - which seems to me to owe a lot to the Buxheimer music.

Mandryka

Oh and I forgot an interesting one, Bernard Foccroulle and Lambert Colson, a CD called "Un Cornetto a Roma" - basically Italian pieces for organ and cornet and voices -1500- 1700.

Zeus

Fortuna Desperada sounds terrific – downloading.  Terrific sound, though I wonder how "authentic" it is as a reflection of what organs sounded like back then.

Un Cornetto a Roma also sounds good – the kind of music I like – but it also sounds like a Bassano cornetto disc I already have and played just a couple of days ago.

I couldn't find Buxheimer Orgelbuch by Josef Kelemen (after only a very cursory search, tbh), but I found one by Ton Koopman on Astree. 

I'll have to digest this first purchase, then sniff around again in a few days for a possible second purchase.

Also, I understand that North German organs fairly quickly became more advanced than Italian organs.  I wonder what a good representative of early Italian organs would sound like.

But maybe I'm asking the wrong questions.  I suppose that there is a lot of variety in what organs sound like, far more than within other instrument families.  In which case it may be silly to talk about a typical early Italian organ sound.

I am absolute novice when it comes to organ music, so apologies if I sound like I'm driveling.

Thanks for your recommendations!
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Mandryka

If you just want a thorough survey of Italian keyboard music on organ and harpsichord, this is outstanding, indispensable - this is probably the place to start:

My favourite Italian organ music recitals are this, but it's on an organ built by a Brit in France

And this, but half of it is on harpsichord (a very strange harpsichord!)

http://www.christopherstembridge.org/stravaganti.htm

It would be good to complement that Stembridge recording of Neapolitan music with this one by Leonhardt of North Italian music

Be sure not to miss out on music from Naples, which is very avant garde (I guess because of Gesualdo's encouragement of the arts.)

Generally Leonhardt's survey discs of renaissance and baroque organs are useful, there's a whole bunch of them in this box, though not the Italian one or the North German one at Stade, Ochtersum, Rysum, Uttum and Marienhaf.

Another name to investigate is Andrea Marcon, he has a lot of compilation Italian organ discs on different historic organs. 

Que

Quote from: Bubbles on August 06, 2018, 03:42:06 PM

I couldn't find Buxheimer Orgelbuch by Josef Kelemen (after only a very cursory search, tbh), but I found one by Ton Koopman on Astree. 

[asin]B00475F3XS[/asin]
Don't know the Koopman, but the Kelemen is very nice in SOTA sound.

This Early Music choral/organ recording might also suit your taste:

[asin]B00187AG9E[/asin]
Gorgeous performances in both respects, and again in SOTA sound.  :)

Q

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on August 06, 2018, 11:45:17 AM
I like what Tuma does with the music very much, both clavichord and harpsichord.

Got it today. Hopefully it's as good as the samples made it sound.

I'm a bit surprised to see the discs are CD-Rs. I certainly don't think it's a pirate copy, the packaging looks far too professional for that, but it's a long time since I bought something advertised as a CD which turned out to be a CD-R. Is this normal for the Arta label? I have nothing else of theirs to compare.