Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeus

Quote from: Que on August 07, 2018, 01:19:45 AM
[asin]B00475F3XS[/asin]
Don't know the Koopman, but the Kelemen is very nice in SOTA sound.

This Early Music choral/organ recording might also suit your taste:

[asin]B00187AG9E[/asin]
Gorgeous performances in both respects, and again in SOTA sound.  :)

Q

I picked up the Keleman disc you suggested, but I can't find the St Emmeram Codex disc anywhere.  I'm in the US and apparently Aeolus doesn't have a US distributor.  I can't even find a way to sample tracks.

Any ideas?

Also, and perhaps related, what do I need to know about SymphonyShare?
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Que

Quote from: Bubbles on August 11, 2018, 01:54:14 PM
I picked up the Keleman disc you suggested, but I can't find the St Emmeram Codex disc anywhere.  I'm in the US and apparently Aeolus doesn't have a US distributor.  I can't even find a way to sample tracks.

Any ideas?

Also, and perhaps related, what do I need to know about SymphonyShare?

Aeolus is distributed in the US by Naxos of America: https://www.aeolus-music.com/Vertrieb/USA

But my apologies for recommending an OOP recording! :( I didn't check...
The good news is that Aeolus is quite diligent in reprinting records that run out of stock.
And they still sell it at their site: https://www.aeolus-music.com/ae_en/All-Discs/AE10023-The-St-Emmeram-Codex

Meanwhile, keep an eye out on the Amazons for a copy to float by....

Q

Brian

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on August 11, 2018, 09:44:37 AM
Got it today. Hopefully it's as good as the samples made it sound.

I'm a bit surprised to see the discs are CD-Rs. I certainly don't think it's a pirate copy, the packaging looks far too professional for that, but it's a long time since I bought something advertised as a CD which turned out to be a CD-R. Is this normal for the Arta label? I have nothing else of theirs to compare.
I've never heard of that label but Nimbus Records and the Nimbus affiliated labels very often do CD-R releases. It's disappointing.

Pat B

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on August 11, 2018, 09:44:37 AM
I'm a bit surprised to see the discs are CD-Rs. I certainly don't think it's a pirate copy, the packaging looks far too professional for that, but it's a long time since I bought something advertised as a CD which turned out to be a CD-R. Is this normal for the Arta label? I have nothing else of theirs to compare.

I have Tuma's WTC and the period-instrument disc of Dvořák quartets, ordered together direct from Arta several years ago. The former was pressed CDs but the latter was a CD-R. So my guess is that after their first run sells out, they use CD-Rs without disclosing it (and keeping it at full price). Knowing that the cost of pressing CDs has plummeted, I am disappointed to hear they're still doing that.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Pat B on August 12, 2018, 10:45:32 PM
I have Tuma's WTC and the period-instrument disc of Dvořák quartets, ordered together direct from Arta several years ago. The former was pressed CDs but the latter was a CD-R. So my guess is that after their first run sells out, they use CD-Rs without disclosing it (and keeping it at full price). Knowing that the cost of pressing CDs has plummeted, I am disappointed to hear they're still doing that.

It's a shame they do it as it's not exactly an incentive to buy their releases. Since you've also had a CD-R from them it seems likely that they do this a fair bit. I knew that Nimbus put out CD-Rs quite often, as Brian mentioned, but I'd never heard of any other label doing it until now. Pity.

Mr. Minnow

Any opinions on this set?

I'm mostly interested in Borgstede's Couperin and Cera's D'Anglebert and how they compare to what I currently have. In Couperin I have Baumont's set, in D'Anglebert I have the Rousset 2CD and Paola Erdas' disc on Arcana.

Mandryka

Cera's D'Anglebert is listenable. Nice  instrument well recorded, basically he makes them into smooth, poised, elegant salon pieces, not much noble melancholy or any other emotional depth. There are some quirky things - slow sarabandes like his French suites for example. But basically it's pretty sobre playing.  In some other harpsichord recordings by him I sometimes get tired by a sameness, sameness of attack. That's the case here, but less so. He's quite different from Rousset, so that may make it interesting for you,

Added - just listened again to th D minor suite, and I thought it was excellent. Big dramatic gestures which make "sobre" and "salon" a bit unfair.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2018, 10:19:52 AM
Cera's D'Anglebert is listenable. Nice  instrument well recorded, basically he makes them into smooth, poised, elegant salon pieces, not much noble melancholy or any other emotional depth. There are some quirky things - slow sarabandes like his French suites for example. But basically it's pretty sobre playing.  In some other harpsichord recordings by him I sometimes get tired by a sameness, sameness of attack. That's the case here, but less so. He's quite different from Rousset, so that may make it interesting for you,

Added - just listened again to th D minor suite, and I thought it was excellent. Big dramatic gestures which make "sobre" and "salon" a bit unfair.

Thanks, that's very helpful. "Salon" was putting me off so I'm glad to see your last sentence! If Borgstede's Couperin is both good and reasonably different to Baumont, that would be the clincher, especially with the original box of that set no longer available at a decent price.

Madiel

Possibly going to buy this, with the Barber string quartet the main drawcard but the rest is interesting too.

As far as I can gather, you get 2 discs in here, one is a regular CD and one is "Blu-Ray audio". Which is damn annoying frankly, if they want to offer 2 formats they should offer them separately, not get people to pay for 2 copies of the same music.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on August 25, 2018, 09:42:43 PM
As far as I can gather, you get 2 discs in here, one is a regular CD and one is "Blu-Ray audio". Which is damn annoying frankly, if they want to offer 2 formats they should offer them separately, not get people to pay for 2 copies of the same music.
In my experience these are the price of one (full price) CD so it's not like you pay so much extra.

Edit: hmm transcription of the Randall Thompson is interesting there too.

JBS

Arkivmusic lists it at 24.99 USD on sale for 19.99 USD
Their Arensky CD, which is just a CD, is 16.99USD on sale for 12.99USD.

I have the Arensky CD and remember it as decent enough, and remember I didn't get this American CD because I would be paying extra for a Bluray I would never pkay.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Considering getting some Schubert Lieder (thus far I only have the "song cycles" including Schwangesang).j

And considering doing it by getting some individual releases from the Hyperion Schubert series.

In this case I find I'm a bit daunted at the idea of getting 40 CDs (3 of which aren't Schubert anyway) in one enormous hit. And I kind of like the idea of a series of recitals, each one a different singer, rather than "right, here's everything in chronological order". Which I know is weird given my general like for chronological explorations. But... hours and hours of teenage Schubert is not necessarily the way I want to do things.

I'm not sure where there are other Lieder series I should be looking at. I know Matthias Goerne has done a series of albums for another label (he in fact is in the Hyperion series too), and his reputation is stellar, but that's all one singer.

Iain Burnside on Delphian has done two discs with different singers, which might grow into something larger.

Any other tips about series, not necessarily complete ones?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on August 29, 2018, 03:39:42 AM
Any other tips about series, not necessarily complete ones?

I have the 21-CD Fischer-Dieskau / Gerald Moore series. Needless to say, I haven't listened to them all.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on August 29, 2018, 05:08:53 AM
I have the 21-CD Fischer-Dieskau / Gerald Moore series. Needless to say, I haven't listened to them all.

I know about that series, I have the 3-CD box from that, with just the song cycles. I don't think I want that much all from one singer.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Madiel on August 25, 2018, 09:42:43 PMAs far as I can gather, you get 2 discs in here, one is a regular CD and one is "Blu-Ray audio". Which is damn annoying frankly, if they want to offer 2 formats they should offer them separately, not get people to pay for 2 copies of the same music.

I think the CD is essentially a free bonus disc, and is included because otherwise the Blue Ray disc would be extremely unattractive to many consumers because it can't be ripped. It is functionally similar to an SACD hybrid, which has a CD layer. By the same token, many Blue Ray video discs come with the corresponding iTunes edition.

Traverso

I have..... ???

I have no regrets about this box but I think that a selection is more appealing.

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on August 29, 2018, 05:42:43 AM
I have..... ???

I have no regrets about this box but I think that a selection is more appealing.

Well, it's nice to have all Schubert's songs stored in one place, just in case you feel the need to listen to any particular one.  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on August 29, 2018, 05:50:47 AM
Well, it's nice to have all Schubert's songs stored in one place, just in case you feel the need to listen to any particular one.  :laugh:

One of my favorites with a young Fischer-Dieskau

http://www.youtube.com/v/bZZqZTKoFcM

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on August 29, 2018, 05:12:32 AM
I know about that series, I have the 3-CD box from that, with just the song cycles. I don't think I want that much all from one singer.
I also have the full set, have listened to it once. It is a bit of an overkill both in terms of content and singer.

I would suggest the Goerne series.

There is also a series on Naxos with various singers that covers a lot of ground. But I haven't heard any of it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Que

I dumped it.....  8)

Q