Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Biffo on September 21, 2018, 06:30:45 AM
I have all four of the Icon boxes you mentioned. I have had the Martinon for quite sometime but only purchased the other three fairly recently. I have only just started working my way through the Pretre box and so can't comment. To be honest I don't think I would buy either of the other two again. The Jordan box is all French repertoire and better performances are available elsewhere for most (all?) of it, notably from Martinon. The Fremaux box is a bit more diverse but still heavily French though slightly more adventurous. I would look at the content and try and decide whether you really want it. None of the performances are complete duds but I have better recordings of the Berlioz Requiem and can live without the disc of opera and operetta arias.
The Fremaux box is with the City of Birmingham SO so that to be doesn't seem all that attractive. i might spring for the Armin Jordan box.

Biffo

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 21, 2018, 07:40:15 AM
The Fremaux box is with the City of Birmingham SO so that to be doesn't seem all that attractive. i might spring for the Armin Jordan box.

I am not sure why you find the CBSO less attractive than the assorted French and Swiss orchestras in the Jordan box but that is your personal choice. I wish I had examined the Jordan box more carefully before buying; a very large part of it I already had from Martinon in better performances.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Biffo on September 21, 2018, 08:40:20 AM
I am not sure why you find the CBSO less attractive than the assorted French and Swiss orchestras in the Jordan box but that is your personal choice. I wish I had examined the Jordan box more carefully before buying; a very large part of it I already had from Martinon in better performances.

This strikes me as overly simplistic, so say the Jordan Box isn't necessary because you already have it in "better" performances by Martinon. I have both and wouldn't be without either. Both are full of superb performances which are different. I don't find either one "better" than the other.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Biffo on September 21, 2018, 08:40:20 AM
Less attractive because I already have a lot of recordings with the CBSO and it never struck me as having a very unique sound.

Biffo

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 21, 2018, 08:47:01 AM
This strikes me as overly simplistic, so say the Jordan Box isn't necessary because you already have it in "better" performances by Martinon. I have both and wouldn't be without either. Both are full of superb performances which are different. I don't find either one "better" than the other.

Again, this is a personal choice.  Martinon is one of my favourite conductors and I don't recall any of the Jordan performances as being superb; some were good, others just serviceable. I posted my thoughts on the Jordan box as I worked through it and if I go back and check I may end up with egg on my face after that last comment.

One of the problems with buying large box sets of the French orchestral repertoire is duplication so for Ravel, Debussy etc Jordan is up against stiff competition.  Unfortunately his set doesn't have much in the way of variety.  I am sure it will give a lot of enjoyment but with the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't buy it again.

André

Anyone ever heard of Harald Genzmer ?

I have sampled several tracks and am curious to read any comments.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 24, 2018, 12:22:27 PM

David Franke Bach CU3 at Naumburg.

As far as I recall I did not find Franke's interpretation that special - but interesting because of the Naumburg organ of course.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 24, 2018, 12:54:33 PM

As far as I recall I did not find Franke's interpretation that special - but interesting because of the Naumburg organ of course.

This is what I was fearing you'd say. I'm not going to buy it!

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 24, 2018, 12:54:33 PM

I'm enjoying it, especially in the big pedaliter Chorales, clearly the organ is one hell of an imposing instrument. I'm actually enjoying the playing more than Robert Clark's recording on the same organ. I just checked Naumburg's website to see if there were any interesting concerts due but there's nothing. How am I ever going to hear these great European organs? I've got the time, I've got the money and I've got the inclination, but I can never find concerts which are worth traveling for!

Mandryka

My main reason for buying this would be Obrecht's Laudemus nunc Dominum

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I just found out that this exists.

[asin]B000025UK9[/asin]

Anyone heard it? Everything Kertesz ever did was superb, as far as I can tell.

And why isn't there a complete Kertesz box?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 11, 2018, 11:17:19 AM

[asin]B000025UK9[/asin]

There is this one (which has the disc you posted above), though it is far from complete:
[asin]B00H927FSW[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 11, 2018, 12:03:12 PM
There is this one (which has the disc you posted above), though it is far from complete:
[asin]B00H927FSW[/asin]

I forgot that. I wish it was bigger and cheaper.  :)

André

It was a sonic spectacular back when it was issued. I don't have it anymore, but I'm quite sure it still packs a wallop.

aligreto

I think that Kertesz is always worth a listen.

listener

Quote from: André on September 23, 2018, 05:22:06 PM
Anyone ever heard of Harald Genzmer ?

I have sampled several tracks and am curious to read any comments.

Some pieces on vinyl: organ concerto on Turnabout, piano concerto on Aulos and trautonium concerto on Wergo, pieces for saxophone ensemble on a Koch Schwann cd were interesting for their instrumentation.  It's a long time since I heard them but the fact that I have more than one disc of his music makes me think I liked it. 
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 11, 2018, 11:17:19 AM

[asin]B000025UK9[/asin]

I have it. It's ok. Pines/Fountains if there is ever a reference recording I would think it is Muti/Philadelphia where everything just sounds so spectacularly and jawdroppingly executed.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 11, 2018, 03:40:23 PM
I have it. It's ok. Pines/Fountains if there is ever a reference recording I would think it is Muti/Philadelphia where everything just sounds so spectacularly and jawdroppingly executed.

Muti/Philadelphia is my least favorite, of all that I have heard. Goes to show how taste can vary. I have to check to see if I still have it, maybe I can listen again.