Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

The Barto is not an accurate reflection of the Busoni edition on any level—the notes are closer to the Bach original, the nuances entirely Barto's. Tanski seems to be the only "proper" recording of the Bach/Busoni.

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on December 30, 2018, 03:57:43 AM
The Barto is not an accurate reflection of the Busoni edition on any level—the notes are closer to the Bach original, the nuances entirely Barto's. Tanski seems to be the only "proper" recording of the Bach/Busoni.

Well done for making that clearer,  when you look carefully at the recording it doesn't say that it's the Bach/Busoni, it says "after the adaption of Ferrucio Busoni", and the section in the booklet about Busoni speaks only of the organ "adaption."  I think it's slightly contemptuous of the public that Barto didn't put anything in the booklet to explain what he's done.

If you're right the CD is very misleading,  there are a couple of reviews on the UK amazon which just assert (as I would have done) that he's playing the Bach/Busoni, and I remember Don Satz, who has like 1,000 different sets of Goldbergs, telling me that it was the Bach/Busoni.

Pretty poor show on Barto's part.

Sara Davies Buechner has recorded the Bach/Busoni Goldbergs, I expect it's a pretty good performance, I haven't heard it but I remember she did the Bach/Busoni Well Tempered Clavier rather well.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3ApC9ziaH44
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mandryka on December 30, 2018, 04:15:17 AM
Well done for making that clearer,  when you look carefully at the recording it doesn't say that it's the Bach/Busoni, it says "after the adaption of Ferrucio Busoni", and the section in the booklet about Busoni speaks only of the organ "adaption."  I think it's slightly contemptuous of the public that Barto didn't put anything in the booklet to explain what he's done.

If you're right the CD is very misleading,  there are a couple of reviews on the UK amazon which just assert (as I would have done) that he's playing the Bach/Busoni, and I remember Don Satz, who has like 1,000 different sets of Goldbergs, telling me that it was the Bach/Busoni.

It's not on Tzimon Barto that the liner notes are what they are -- except, perhaps, not caring enough to make sure they aren't generic standard notes. That's on the label. But yes, it's really not the Busoni version but for all practical purposes the Barto-version hiding behind the Busoni. That said, I love the recording.

amw

Bach/Busoni is a fairly specific edition of the variations, & one can usually tell by following along with the score (http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/3/34/IMSLP36102-PMLP02982-Bach-Busoni_-_Goldberg_Variations.pdf)—it does however have many ossias, and Busoni suggests that a number of variations be eliminated in performance, whilst still providing his versions of them, so several different realisations of the Bach/Busoni edition are possible. Barto lacks the main "Busoni" features though which include the concert ending, the reorderings, the extended Variation 25 etc so I imagine it'd be obvious to anyone who was familiar with the Bach/Busoni. Perhaps the label counted on not many people being that familiar with it.

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on December 30, 2018, 04:15:17 AM

Sara Davies Buechner has recorded the Bach/Busoni Goldbergs, I expect it's a pretty good performance, I haven't heard it but I remember she did the Bach/Busoni Well Tempered Clavier rather well.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3ApC9ziaH44

I have to say I am deeply unimpressed by that.  Best description I give it  is that it sounds like Chopin playing a bit of Bach while he's hungover and is waiting for breakfast to be served.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/in-vergessenen-toenen/hnum/6404718

Love Sabine Lutzenberger's voice so I guess it's inevitable that I'll get this unless someone signals a warning.

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on December 30, 2018, 10:00:28 AM
it sounds like Chopin playing a bit of Bach while he's hungover and is waiting for breakfast to be served.

If only it were recorded...
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Madiel

I listened to 3 sonatas this evening and I consistently enjoyed myself. I think this might be in line with my tastes, and nice for when Kovacevich (my other complete set) is just a little too hot-headed.

[asin]B000005J2D[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

AFAIR Goode was quite highly regarded when it came out in the 1990s. I had the op.10 on a single disc back then and eventually culled it. It is certainly rather cool-headed, so it might be a good complement for what you already got.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

zamyrabyrd

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Ras

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on January 03, 2019, 05:37:29 AM
They couldn't come up with a better cover picture?

Do you want them naked?  :P
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on January 03, 2019, 04:21:30 AM
I listened to 3 sonatas this evening and I consistently enjoyed myself. I think this might be in line with my tastes, and nice for when Kovacevich (my other complete set) is just a little too hot-headed.

[asin]B000005J2D[/asin]

A second listing offers better prices on Amazon US.
[asin]B0746VS342[/asin]

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on January 03, 2019, 08:04:33 AM
[asin]B0746VS342[/asin]

Noted, though I probably wouldn't get it from Amazon anyway. Though they've now decided they CAN ship to Australia again, I'm still pretty annoyed about the 5 months when one of the largest companies in the world said it simply couldn't cope with our tax laws.

I gather they only backed down because of the scale of the backlash.

EDIT: And apparently third party sellers on the marketplace are STILL not available. Nor anything from other Amazon sites besides the US one. Hell's bells. eBay had no problem with this, so is Amazon being a deliberate pain in the arse or are they just incompetent?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Madiel on January 03, 2019, 01:33:15 PM
Noted, though I probably wouldn't get it from Amazon anyway. Though they've now decided they CAN ship to Australia again, I'm still pretty annoyed about the 5 months when one of the largest companies in the world said it simply couldn't cope with our tax laws.

so is Amazon being a deliberate pain in the arse or are they just incompetent?

When your entire population is under 25 million you probably haven't reached critical mass for Amazon to really give you top priority. No offense.

Amazon is a lot of things but incompetent is not one of the qualities.

Quote from: JBS on January 03, 2019, 08:04:33 AM
[asin]B0746VS342[/asin]
I really like Goode's cycle. That and Claude Frank's are my two favorites for their directness.

Madiel

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 03, 2019, 04:10:29 PM
When your entire population is under 25 million you probably haven't reached critical mass for Amazon to really give you top priority. No offense.

Amazon is a lot of things but incompetent is not one of the qualities.
I really like Goode's cycle. That and Claude Frank's are my two favorites for their directness.

We are among the biggest overseas online shoppers in the world, and were among their biggest overseas customers before they stuffed us around. It's precisely because of our population and distance that we are instinctively geared to looking overseas for stuff.  We will jump onto US sites, in particular, without hesitation.

The reason it's so galling is because they actually said when Australian tax law changed that it was too difficult for them to comply with. Meanwhile, every other significant online retailer, including eBay as I mentioned, coped just fine. So if they're not incompetent, they're just liars.

Ultimately what they were trying to do was get Australians to use the relatively new Amazon Australia instead. But that hasn't worked because it's obvious the range of what's available is significantly less. See above about the Australian readiness to look overseas. We don't accept crap just because it's local crap. And they're not the first American mega-corporation to misunderstand the Australian market.

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on January 03, 2019, 01:33:15 PM

I gather they only backed down because of the scale of the backlash.

EDIT: And apparently third party sellers on the marketplace are STILL not available. Nor anything from other Amazon sites besides the US one. Hell's bells. eBay had no problem with this, so is Amazon being a deliberate pain in the arse or are they just incompetent?

There are a substantial number of 3rd party sellers on Amazon Europe who don't ship to the US, so it may not necessarily be Amazon's fault.
I do know that Amazon US is consistently less efficient in shipping, etc. than any of the European Amazons I have dealth with (UK, France, Spain, Italy).

I did, btw, just order the Goode cycle off Amazon MP.

Ken B

Quote from: Madiel on January 03, 2019, 06:18:41 PM
We are among the biggest overseas online shoppers in the world, and were among their biggest overseas customers before they stuffed us around. It's precisely because of our population and distance that we are instinctively geared to looking overseas for stuff.  We will jump onto US sites, in particular, without hesitation.

The reason it's so galling is because they actually said when Australian tax law changed that it was too difficult for them to comply with. Meanwhile, every other significant online retailer, including eBay as I mentioned, coped just fine. So if they're not incompetent, they're just liars.

Ultimately what they were trying to do was get Australians to use the relatively new Amazon Australia instead. But that hasn't worked because it's obvious the range of what's available is significantly less. See above about the Australian readiness to look overseas. We don't accept crap just because it's local crap. And they're not the first American mega-corporation to misunderstand the Australian market.

Numerous big US companies have failed in Canada too, for lack of understanding the market. Target failed pretty spectacularly. Sam's Club failed. Donut chains, Boston Market.

Need to distinguish between Amazon and Marketplace though.

Madiel

Apparently Australia is Starbucks' biggest failure.

I suspect we're quite proud of that.

Que

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 03, 2019, 04:10:29 PM

This is why The Netherlands has been "annexed" by German Amazon - it now even has a Dutch language option... 8)
Though unlike Austria, buyers from the Netherlands are not treated on equal footing in relation to shipping costs &  market place sellers that only ship "domestically"....

Q