Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: San Antone on January 24, 2019, 07:10:03 AM
The DG "Edition" (which is what I have) has Zimerman and Kocsis for most of the piano music - which are fine by me.  The Warner piano music is fine too, but it's attraction for me are the works not included in the DG box.  The reconstructed early opera, e.g., Rodrigue et Chimène, and having the Jordan Pelleas is a plus since I already have the Abbado.

My question is what is added in the second DG box (24CD) as opposed to the Debussy Edition (18CD)?
There are 22 CD's in the second box, and 2 DVD's with Boulez' Pelléas. 3 CD's are 'historical bonus' recordings, with alternative recordings of some works by Ansermet, Karajan, Gulda, Richter, Ciani, Souzay & al.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: San Antone on January 24, 2019, 07:10:03 AM
The DG "Edition" (which is what I have) has Zimerman and Kocsis for most of the piano music - which are fine by me.  The Warner piano music is fine too, but it's attraction for me are the works not included in the DG box.  The reconstructed early opera, e.g., Rodrigue et Chimène, and having the Jordan Pelleas is a plus since I already have the Abbado.

My question is what is added in the second DG box (24CD) as opposed to the Debussy Edition (18CD)?

Debussy vs. Debussy: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2018/03/25/review-debussy-vs-debussy-complete-works-by-warner-and-deutsche-grammophon-compared/

" In some ways it is a repeat of DG's excellent 17 + 1 CD  "Debussy Edition" box which came out in 2012 when we celebrated the 150th anniversary of Debussy's birth. But interestingly – as we will explore in greater detail below – the new box has not just had a last few remaining omissions patched, some key contents are considerably different, too! (Which, if you are a collector, is either good news: less doubling up – or bad news: needing to get this edition, too.)

This differs from DG's 18-CD 2012 "Debussy Edition" which, very understandably, took Pierre Boulez and the Clevelanders for these works. Then again, that sort-of makes sense: The Boulez recordings are modern classics (one of those otherwise rare knock-out performances) and are likely already in many a collector's collection. Bernstein's are much less well known, still very good – certainly unique – and bear a very personal stamp. For anyone finding these too wilful or too indulgent or the orchestra not sufficiently smooth and well-drilled (fair enough), there's backup in the DG box in the form of a set of discs with historical boni..."

etc.

Mainly it's the piano works and the orchestral works that have been altered.

San Antone

Quote from: North Star on January 24, 2019, 08:05:40 AM
There are 22 CD's in the second box, and 2 DVD's with Boulez' Pelléas. 3 CD's are 'historical bonus' recordings, with alternative recordings of some works by Ansermet, Karajan, Gulda, Richter, Ciani, Souzay & al.

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 24, 2019, 08:29:50 AM
Debussy vs. Debussy: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2018/03/25/review-debussy-vs-debussy-complete-works-by-warner-and-deutsche-grammophon-compared/

" In some ways it is a repeat of DG's excellent 17 + 1 CD  "Debussy Edition" box which came out in 2012 when we celebrated the 150th anniversary of Debussy's birth. But interestingly – as we will explore in greater detail below – the new box has not just had a last few remaining omissions patched, some key contents are considerably different, too! (Which, if you are a collector, is either good news: less doubling up – or bad news: needing to get this edition, too.)

This differs from DG's 18-CD 2012 "Debussy Edition" which, very understandably, took Pierre Boulez and the Clevelanders for these works. Then again, that sort-of makes sense: The Boulez recordings are modern classics (one of those otherwise rare knock-out performances) and are likely already in many a collector's collection. Bernstein's are much less well known, still very good – certainly unique – and bear a very personal stamp. For anyone finding these too wilful or too indulgent or the orchestra not sufficiently smooth and well-drilled (fair enough), there's backup in the DG box in the form of a set of discs with historical boni..."

etc.

Mainly it's the piano works and the orchestral works that have been altered.

Thanks, both.  I'll probably go for the Warner box but let the other DG alone.   8)

akebergv

Quote from: San Antone on January 24, 2019, 08:57:21 AM
Thanks, both.  I'll probably go for the Warner box but let the other DG alone.   8)
That's exactly what I did (having the DG 18CD box already), and it turned out to be a good choice.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

There's also the Sony box from some years back (OOP but used copies can still be found). It has some great things, like the old Boulez/Columbia recordings of orchestral music.

Ras

I'm doing just fine with the orchestral works in this box, from Decca: (Haitink, Chailly, Dutoit...etc.):

[asin]B0000CESR6[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

San Antone

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 24, 2019, 09:32:37 PM
There's also the Sony box from some years back (OOP but used copies can still be found). It has some great things, like the old Boulez/Columbia recordings of orchestral music.

Interesting; but I think I'm okay for now.  The orchestral works are of less interest, compared to the other works, to me.

staxomega

On the topic of Debussy, does anyone know how different Gieseking's 1951 recordings of the Preludes are from his 1953 (this is the Great Recordings EMI CD reissue)? The 1953 would not be among my favorite performances, though I am curious about the 1951 recordings as Jed Distler says they are "the one to own". Never available on CD, the vinyl box reissue (with Children's Corner) can be had for under $20 in good condition.

Mandryka

Quote from: staxomega on January 26, 2019, 05:16:10 AM
On the topic of Debussy, does anyone know how different Gieseking's 1951 recordings of the Preludes are from his 1953 (this is the Great Recordings EMI CD reissue)? The 1953 would not be among my favorite performances, though I am curious about the 1951 recordings as Jed Distler says they are "the one to own". Never available on CD, the vinyl box reissue (with Children's Corner) can be had for under $20 in good condition.

They are on youtube.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

If any one has any opinions on these, please speak up...
[asin]B00MVBDDTQ[/asin]
[asin]B00KLOFNAW[/asin]
[asin]B01B8TLB7C[/asin]
[asin]B00EHZ3C9U[/asin]
[asin]B07FDKWV6S[/asin]
[asin]B00LU8UQTG[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Mandryka

Richard

I have a chance to get a used copy of this set for ~$90 US.

This seems a lot by today's standards, but I know the box has been OOP print for a long time and it is highly regarded on GMG.

Your thoughts?

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Jo498

You should check the availability of the disks making up that box. Some have probably been re-issued, others might be available used although if you want all of them you will probably not them more cheaply than $6/piece.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Hi All - I'm currently reading the book on classic music below - really an excellent introduction and 'refresher' course for me - however, a nice 'starter' book for newbies - I'm on the several pages about Francois Couperin - already own plenty of CDs but was checking Amazon to see if there are any 'new' offerings on his harpsichord music - I currently own the Michael Borgstede box, but just saw that Olivier Baumont's set is now selling for only $26 USD on Amazon Prime - any comparative comments between these two performances/recordings? A review of Borgstede is attached.  Also, I know that others have recorded these works in toto or in large parts but many are OOP, hard to find, or overly expensive, BUT if other recommendations are in order, please comment.  Thanks as usual - Dave :)

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 14, 2019, 10:59:55 AM
Hi All - I'm currently reading the book on classic music below - really an excellent introduction and 'refresher' course for me - however, a nice 'starter' book for newbies - I'm on the several pages about Francois Couperin - already own plenty of CDs but was checking Amazon to see if there are any 'new' offerings on his harpsichord music - I currently own the Michael Borgstede box, but just saw that Olivier Baumont's set is now selling for only $26 USD on Amazon Prime - any comparative comments between these two performances/recordings? A review of Borgstede is attached.  Also, I know that others have recorded these works in toto or in large parts but many are OOP, hard to find, or overly expensive, BUT if other recommendations are in order, please comment.  Thanks as usual - Dave :)

They might not be your thing (piano instead of harpsichord) but I'm quite fond of this series.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on February 15, 2019, 02:49:44 AM
They might not be your thing (piano instead of harpsichord) but I'm quite fond of this series.

Hi Andrei - thanks for the Hewitt recommendation - I already own those three discs and enjoy as a 'piano option' - today, I did some A-B comparison listening of Borgstede vs. Baumont - both are quite good, but was on PrestoClassical today ordering some Amy Beach piano CDs w/ Kirsten Johnson - out of curiosity, I looked at the Couperin Harpsichord recordings and a recently released box w/ Carole Cerasi for $50+ USD (half the price on Amazon USA) was offered - well, I read a few reviews and have her in other performances - despite the double price vs. Baumont, I decided to make a purchase - I'm expecting to enjoy, but maybe taking a chance?  Dave :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on February 15, 2019, 02:49:44 AM

I almost always listen to Bach on Piano (including Hewitt) but Couperin just didn't work on piano, for me (which means I more or less don't listen to Couperin, despite having that complete set).

JBS

I have the Baumont set...it's well done, but I think the phrase "much of a muchness" applies to Couperin.
I have btw the first Hewitt CD but not the later two. It's Hewitt's usual quality product but it just makes clear that Coupetin was no Bach.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

amw

Yes I know, it's Couperin on piano. (And I still have mixed feelings about the Kolesnikov.) Any opinions despite that?