Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2019, 08:00:46 AM
The reason, of course, being German-oriented and influenced musicology and music history.  >:D

Scriabin, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev - all German.

Now Medtner, on the other hand...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Naxos recently issued a CD of Tchaikovsky piano rarities called "Potpourri" with some unknown young pianist, Lance someone, and it was so dull I had to turn it off. But the Dumka is superb and the sonatas have good parts...and the morceaux op. 72 cycle is a total delight. I keep having faith that there is more good stuff in the Tchaikovsky piano world based on those examples.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on March 16, 2019, 10:55:09 PM
Naxos recently issued a CD of Tchaikovsky piano rarities called "Potpourri" with some unknown young pianist, Lance someone, and it was so dull I had to turn it off. But the Dumka is superb and the sonatas have good parts...and the morceaux op. 72 cycle is a total delight. I keep having faith that there is more good stuff in the Tchaikovsky piano world based on those examples.

That would be this.

It would seem even the composer himself disliked at least on of the pieces included there.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on March 16, 2019, 03:17:27 PM
Scriabin, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev - all German.

Now Medtner, on the other hand...

Hah!  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

These two Decca Italy releases had escaped my notice before now.  Hmm. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Currently looking at this recording:

Definitely some Enescu juvenilia to be found here, but many rarities. If anything, the disc would be a great way to familiarize oneself with the composer's early development as a composer.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 18, 2019, 06:55:34 AM
Currently looking at this recording:

Definitely some Enescu juvenilia to be found here, but many rarities. If anything, the disc would be a great way to familiarize oneself with the composer's early development as a composer.
Most of it is juvenilia, bits and pieces thereof. I really wasn't impressed by this disc (but haven't listened to it since it first came out, so perhaps I would revise my opinion).

For the completist only...but I wouldn't expect that to deter you (it certainly didn't deter me  ;D)

BTW...that CD is labelled "Volume One", but there's been no sign of a followup AFAIK... ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on March 18, 2019, 09:37:12 AM
Most of it is juvenilia, bits and pieces thereof. I really wasn't impressed by this disc (but haven't listened to it since it first came out, so perhaps I would revise my opinion).

For the completist only...but I wouldn't expect that to deter you (it certainly didn't deter me  ;D)

BTW...that CD is labelled "Volume One", but there's been no sign of a followup AFAIK... ;)

Yeah, this is pretty much what I figured, Rafael. It would be interesting from a historical perspective, but little else probably. I always find it fascinating to hear where a composer came from and how their styles matured as they got older.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

I've decided I really should get onto one of the things on my to-do list, a recording of Bach's St John Passion.

Options that seem to have good vibes include:

Maasaki Suzuki on BIS
Gardiner on his SDG label
Layton on Hyperion
Edward Higginbottom on Naxos

Open to comments on these or other recommendations.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I don't know any of these. My recommendations would be Schreier (cond. and Evangelist) on Philips/Newton and Harnoncourt (the second one from the 1990s). Both highly rhetoric and dramatic interpretations with great singers (although the voices might be too "operatic" for some listeners).
You may also want to check out a recording of the alternative (older) version. I think Herreweghe's second recording is of that one and there is also one by Rilling that has the alternative pieces as an appendix.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

I'm very happy with Pierlot & Ricercar Consort on Mirare, but don't know other recordings of the work.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Madiel on April 05, 2019, 05:55:30 AM
I've decided I really should get onto one of the things on my to-do list, a recording of Bach's St John Passion.

Options that seem to have good vibes include:

Maasaki Suzuki on BIS
Gardiner on his SDG label
Layton on Hyperion
Edward Higginbottom on Naxos

Open to comments on these or other recommendations.

It's a good day for that, seeing that it was premiered today in 1724.

#morninglistening to #Bach's #StJohnPassion, first performed on this day in 1724. #EugenJochum on @deccaclassics w/@RCOamsterdam + @GrootOmroepKoor

: http://a-fwd.to/53jimZg

@Bach_JohannSeb @Baerenreiter.

That's what I'm listening to right now. Very fine recording though it is, it wouldn't be my 1st (or 4th) recommendation.

I'd look at one of these for that:

#morninglistening on #EasterSunday: #Bach's #StJohnPassion w/@Bachvereniging w/#josvanveldhoven on @ChannelClassics

: http://a-fwd.to/1GhUwHG

♡ #Johannespassion ♡

Also very recommendable is, still, Gardiner! Jacobs. Butt!!. [Review]. Koopman! Herreweghe II !!!. Maybe the latter might be my go-to version, when I'm not looking for golden-oldie glory from Richter, Jochum or even Rilling.

NOT recommended: Cleobury (King's Choir), Sorrell (Apollo's Fire), Homburg (Handel's Company). Even Minkowski is a bit less than the idea promises.

André

The Jochum RCOA version is a classic. The all-important winds are creamy and pungent at the same time, in tune with the work itself: consolatory and dramatic.

The above-mentioned Pierlot version is one of unalloyed pleasure and refinement, my preferred modern version.

Among the classics, Karl Forster is unassailable, with a dream team of soloists.

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on April 05, 2019, 08:24:46 AM
I don't know any of these. My recommendations would be Schreier (cond. and Evangelist) on Philips/Newton and Harnoncourt (the second one from the 1990s). Both highly rhetoric and dramatic interpretations with great singers (although the voices might be too "operatic" for some listeners).
You may also want to check out a recording of the alternative (older) version. I think Herreweghe's second recording is of that one and there is also one by Rilling that has the alternative pieces as an appendix.

This does not seem to be the Schrier recording you mean, but I can't tell if it is a re-issue, and don't see it on AmazonUS. Arkivmusic gives a release date of April 19.

Notes and Editorial Reviews
Peter Schreier conducts Bach's St John Passion at St Thomas's Church, Leipzig: a musical ray of light in the dark days of Passiontide Famous for his performances of the Evangelist in Bach's oratorios and passions, the highly regarded Bach-expert Peter Schreier has also garnered international acclaim as a conductor. For the present project, he has taken to the podium once more. The album's live recording from St Thomas's Church, Leipzig, captures a remarkable performance of Johann Sebastian Bach's St John Passion (BWV 245). Under the direction of Peter Schreier, the Sächsischer Kammerchor and the Mitteldeutsche Virtuosen present a truly gripping, profound rendition of Bach's masterpiece. The Sächsischer Kammerchor and the Mitteldeutsche Virtuosen, performing on modern instruments, give eloquent testimony to their exceptional musical skills. Bach's chorales, which are so essential to the St John Passion, radiate with poignant intimacy and expressive power. The ensemble of soloists, too, has been selected wisely. Martin Petzold offers a superb performance as the Evangelist. Staying close to the text, Petzold skilfully leads his audience through the Passion narrative. A further highlight: the young tenor Patrick Grahl. His impressive vocal presence allows him to master the challenging arias with great aplomb.
--- http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2279851

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

This must be a different, more recent recording. The Schreier I mean has himself as Evangelist:

[asin]B004KDO2AC[/asin] [asin]B00000E3TL[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Mandryka

Mandryka

staxomega

My record store has this Faure box but it has no booklet, does anyone that has this know if it came with one? Thanks.