Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2007, 10:36:19 AM
Do not consider Andrei but buy, these recordings are topnotch, in recording and performance!
I am very happy with it, and so should you! :)
I've listened to some excerpts and the sonics is excellent, indeed. Will buy asap.

I'm also considering the complete String Quintets with the same La Magnifica Comunita.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 27, 2007, 10:45:18 AM
I've listened to some excerpts and the sonics is excellent, indeed. Will buy asap.

I'm also considering the complete String Quintets with the same La Magnifica Comunita.

Yes also on your order list my friend, have them and adore them.
Good sonics, and even better performances. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2007, 10:50:24 AM
Yes also on your order list my friend, have them and adore them.
Good sonics, and even better performances. :)
I thank you, Harry! (not so my wallet, though... :) )

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 27, 2007, 10:52:07 AM
I thank you, Harry! (not so my wallet, though... :) )

Well at least you get a lot of music for little money right? ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2007, 10:53:39 AM
Well at least you get a lot of music for little money right? ;D
Absolutely.

Wanderer

Quote from: johnshade on April 27, 2007, 05:07:39 AM

Thielemann conducting Brahms Symphony #1 and Beethoven Egmont Overture, available May 8, 2007.
I'm considering this, too...

...as well as this ---)

Novi

I need some Webern in my life - can someone give me some suggestions?

Will this 6 CD set be overkill

or is this one sufficient

Or are there better piecemeal options?

The only Webern I have is the op. 27 Variations (Pollini). I've heard the op. 6, 6 orchestral pieces live and enjoyed them though.

Thanks.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

MishaK

Quote from: Wanderer on April 27, 2007, 11:20:53 AM
I'm considering this, too...

...as well as this ---)

Somebody here in the old forum posted a download of a live broadcast of Bruckner 5 with Thielemann. You could sample that and see if you wan the disc. I don't have the CD but the boradcast that I downloaded was beautiful in places, but devolved into unrelated episodes with no overall line or structure or drive.

Choo Choo

Quote from: O Mensch on April 28, 2007, 05:44:15 AM
devolved into unrelated episodes with no overall line or structure or drive.

I do have this disk - and though I haven't listened to it for a while, I don't recollect it being like that.  On the contrary, what I recall liking about it particularly was the sense of integration from start to finish.  I'd just bought Harnoncourt/VPO - which I did find matched your description exactly - and also heard them do it live - which was the same only more so - and the Thielemann was such a contrast (almost a relief) that for a while I had it on auto-repeat.

However it does depend very much on what your tastes are, particularly in Bruckner #5.  Quick it isn't.

MishaK

Quote from: Choo Choo on April 28, 2007, 05:54:57 AM
I do have this disk - and though I haven't listened to it for a while, I don't recollect it being like that.  On the contrary, what I recall liking about it particularly was the sense of integration from start to finish.  I'd just bought Harnoncourt/VPO - which I did find matched your description exactly - and also heard them do it live - which was the same only more so - and the Thielemann was such a contrast (almost a relief) that for a while I had it on auto-repeat.

However it does depend very much on what your tastes are, particularly in Bruckner #5.  Quick it isn't.

That I know, obviously. It's just that Thielemann seemed to treat it with too much reverence, unwillling to really let the dissonances sear and unwilling to really produce a climax. It is probably the most difficult Bruckner symphony to hold together, due to its many starts and stops.

PerfectWagnerite

While there are many fine modern recordings of Bruckner's 5th, to get a true sense of the architecture of this piece you have to hear this one:

Wanderer

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!  :)

Bogey

Not classical, but feedback still appreciated....the King Oliver is a forgone conclusion however:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Novitiate on April 28, 2007, 04:25:19 AM
I need some Webern in my life - can someone give me some suggestions?

Will this 6 CD set be overkill

Or are there better piecemeal options?

This DG box is very worthwhile. Should bring much satisfaction. If you go the piecemeal route you're likely to end up with much of what's represented in this box anyway!

And no, for my money the DG box isn't overkill. The only difference is it includes much early Webern that went unpublished (otherwise known as his 'unnumbered' works). The Sony set picks up where his opus...earned an opus.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Novi

Quote from: donwyn on April 28, 2007, 06:40:33 PM
This DG box is very worthwhile. Should bring much satisfaction. If you go the piecemeal route you're likely to end up with much of what's represented in this box anyway!

And no, for my money the DG box isn't overkill. The only difference is it includes much early Webern that went unpublished (otherwise known as his 'unnumbered' works). The Sony set picks up where his opus...earned an opus.

Thanks, donwyn :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

AnthonyAthletic

Having the Kubelik & Kertesz complete sets, many versions of the 7/8/9, Jansons & Davis' mini sets on Brilliant/LSO live.  I have been pondering with buying this from the States.

Any insights into Suitner & Dvorak.  I wouldn't mind another alternative version, more so to discover the first 4 symphonies which from me are all too neglected.  With Dvorak I still tend to work from 5 upwards and rarely go back to his 1 thru' 4 nowadays.

Any one have this?  Good/Bad or Ugly  ;)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 29, 2007, 02:42:20 PM
Having the Kubelik & Kertesz complete sets, many versions of the 7/8/9, Jansons & Davis' mini sets on Brilliant/LSO live.  I have been pondering with buying this from the States.

Any insights into Suitner & Dvorak.  I wouldn't mind another alternative version, more so to discover the first 4 symphonies which from me are all too neglected.  With Dvorak I still tend to work from 5 upwards and rarely go back to his 1 thru' 4 nowadays.

Any one have this?  Good/Bad or Ugly  ;)

It is very good. But if you already have Kubelik and Kertesz I don't really think you need it. The best of the set are actually numbers 8 and 9. Numbers 4-6 I still think either Rowick and Neumann bring out more colors. Numbers 1-3 aren't my favorite but again Rowick is the best here. To me Rowicki is a must for Dvorak fans.

But at under $20 you may want it just to satisfy your curiosity.

AnthonyAthletic

Cheers,

Or perhaps I could pick up those Rowicki recordings on Philips? for not much more  ;D

At £10 the Suitner is appealing and I have heard great things about the Rowicki cycle.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)