Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Saw mention of the Casella Cello Sonatas. I do like Casella, seems to be worth considering.

In addition to a Brilliant Classics release

[asin]B00HYO8IJU[/asin]

I saw an earlier release from Dynamic.

[asin]B0000044JE[/asin]

Out of print and it seems like a wild goose chase will be required to find it at a reasonable price (although downloads are available for sale). Anyone heard both who could offer an opinion?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on June 05, 2019, 01:32:38 PM
Saw mention of the Casella Cello Sonatas. I do like Casella, seems to be worth considering.

In addition to a Brilliant Classics release

[asin]B00HYO8IJU[/asin]

I saw an earlier release from Dynamic.

[asin]B0000044JE[/asin]

Out of print and it seems like a wild goose chase will be required to find it at a reasonable price (although downloads are available for sale). Anyone heard both who could offer an opinion?

Neither recording is outstanding, but, if I had to choose, the Brilliant Classics recording has better audio quality and the performances are stronger. One of the problems I have with both recordings is the cellist. Both cellists have harsh tones that do the music a disservice, but they're the only games in town for these works. I'm still hoping that a better recording of them comes along soon, but I won't hold my breath.

jwinter

Greetings.  Any opinions on this set?  I currently only have a couple of CDs of CPE Bach's symphonies and cello concertos, so this will be all pretty new territory for me...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

JBS

Quote from: jwinter on July 16, 2019, 10:17:00 AM
Greetings.  Any opinions on this set?  I currently only have a couple of CDs of CPE Bach's symphonies and cello concertos, so this will be all pretty new territory for me...

IIRC that set is mostly modern instrument, possibly older recordings. I don't have it, but I do have Brilliant's equivalent, which covers less but is PI. I can recommend it.
[asin]B00FP45RV8[/asin]

Which one to get is undoubtedly more a matter of personal taste than anything else,

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

jwinter

Thanks for the feedback! 

Comparing the two, I think I'm leaning towards the Hanssler -- the complete keyboard works on piano is pretty tempting... also the couple of discs I have are HIP, so this would provide some contrast.

JBS

Quote from: jwinter on July 16, 2019, 06:04:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback! 

Comparing the two, I think I'm leaning towards the Hanssler -- the complete keyboard works on piano is pretty tempting... also the couple of discs I have are HIP, so this would provide some contrast.

If you do get the Hanssler, I suggest supplementing it with Belder's recordings of the keyboard sonatas. It's part of the Brilliant box but available on its own as a small set.

Brian

I have only listened to 2-3 sonatas from it but the modern piano performances by Markovina in the Hanssler box are very highly acclaimed, and probably justly so. I do personally prefer modern piano in CPE, Mozart, and Haydn, but that's just me...search your heart and/or ears for your own preference!

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2019, 06:31:04 PM
I have only listened to 2-3 sonatas from it but the modern piano performances by Markovina in the Hanssler box are very highly acclaimed, and probably justly so. I do personally prefer modern piano in CPE, Mozart, and Haydn, but that's just me...search your heart and/or ears for your own preference!

Why did I think Markovina was on BIS? ???

That would definitely be a reason to prefer the Hanssler set.

Brian

Quote from: JBS on July 16, 2019, 06:43:33 PM
Why did I think Markovina was on BIS? ???

That would definitely be a reason to prefer the Hanssler set.
Miklos Spanyi HIP is on BIS! He's up to Volume 37 so he is faaar completer than his rivals...whether that's desirable or not.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: jwinter on July 16, 2019, 10:17:00 AM

That's a no brainer, especially if you are considering buying at JPC (priced at EURO 40). The piano set, when it was on sale, cost something like 30 Euro. This is what I have. It took me a disc to adjust my ear, but since then I've enjoyed the set immensely. That you essentially get double the discs for just 10 more Euro seals the deal. And I have enjoyed CPE quite a lot, so having all the other pieces in one handy box sounds pretty nice. I like his orchestral works, but do not have any of these recordings. Modern instrument would be a draw for me, but that's a preference that may change from listener to listener.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Jo498

I don't have any of the Hänssler CPE Bach, but I think most of the recordings are fairly recent. Mostly modern instruments would for me be a reason against it, though.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 16, 2019, 11:18:24 PM
That's a no brainer, especially if you are considering buying at JPC (priced at EURO 40). The piano set, when it was on sale, cost something like 30 Euro. This is what I have. It took me a disc to adjust my ear, but since then I've enjoyed the set immensely. That you essentially get double the discs for just 10 more Euro seals the deal. And I have enjoyed CPE quite a lot, so having all the other pieces in one handy box sounds pretty nice. I like his orchestral works, but do not have any of these recordings. Modern instrument would be a draw for me, but that's a preference that may change from listener to listener.

On Amazon MP the piano set by itself seems to be higher priced than the 54 CD set.

akebergv

I own both the Hänssler and the Brilliant sets, and both are excellent, but as already pointed out Hänssler is the best buy right now. As for Hänssler's perfomances while most of them are played on modern instruments (a few are HIP) they are nevertheless informed by the HIP movement and are not the least "heavy". I also enjoy Markovina's take, even if I also have a majority of Spanyi's recordings (both solo and concertos). If you insist on HIP there is also the much smaller 13 CD CPE Bach Collection issued by Warner.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 25, 2019, 09:52:37 AM
Brembeck's Kuhnau

I do not know it, but if someone tells me, that it is very good - what I tend to expect -, I may be prompted to acquire it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jwinter

FYI, the Hanssler CPE Bach set landed today; much obliged to all for the guidance and advice.  Will post some thoughts when I've had a chance to sample it thoroughly (which may take a good while at 54 CDs)...

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 25, 2019, 01:01:50 PM
I do not know it, but if someone tells me, that it is very good - what I tend to expect -, I may be prompted to acquire it.

Well I've ordered it.

I'm feeling inspired by the music because of Fernando de Luca's performances, which are thoughtful and rather moving. Unfortunately he doesn't reply to emails so they're not easy to hear.

Mandryka

mc ukrneal

Quote from: jwinter on July 25, 2019, 07:00:59 PM
FYI, the Hanssler CPE Bach set landed today; much obliged to all for the guidance and advice.  Will post some thoughts when I've had a chance to sample it thoroughly (which may take a good while at 54 CDs)...
Hope you like it!!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mandryka

https://www.mdg.de/titel/1282.htm

Anton Webern (1883-1945):
Variationen op. 27 (1936)

Stefan Wolpe (1902-1972):
Zemach-Suite (1939)

Philipp Herscovici (1906-1989):
Frühlingsblumen (1947)
3 Klavierstücke (ca. 1960)

Leopold Spinner (1906-1980)
Sonata for Piano op. 3 (1942/45)

Fré Focke (1910-1989)
Tombeau de Vincent van Gogh - 20 pièces pour piano (1951)

Arnold Elston (1907-1971)
Rondo (1937)

Roland Leich (1911-1995)
Pastorale (1938)

Humphrey Searle (1915-1982)
Threnos & Toccata op. 14 (1948)

Most of these composers I've never even heard of before.