Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Mandryka on April 29, 2019, 12:46:40 AM

Years ago I liked this 2-CD set "Music from the Golden age of Rembrandt," although it had some small digital glitches and the booklet was a bit sloppy:

[asin]B07KZBRKRZ[/asin]

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 09, 2019, 09:47:41 AM
What's that? 4'33''  ??

I'd never heard of it until today -- Letzbor thinks it's an important part of the tradition of contrapuntal solo violin music which Bach dipped his toes in.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 09, 2019, 11:06:47 AM
I'd never heard of it until today -- Letzbor thinks it's an important part of the tradition of contrapuntal solo violin music which Bach dipped his toes in.

But the picture is missing, so I cannot know what it's about.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on April 29, 2019, 12:46:40 AM

It's very good. Fluid, colourful, warm, lyrical and full of old man's wisdom. . Asperen here reminds me of Leonhardt in the final recordings, the Forqueray especially, because there's a sense of self abandon.

Having said that there's a caveat. Absolutely everything I'm hearing today I'm enjoying. So maybe it's me!

And returning to it today, I thought I'd listen to the Froberger, Suite XIV, a descriptive piece. He played it on his first Froberger CD for the big series, which I also couldn't resist listening to, and we all know how very poisonous comparative listening is. Anyway, read the next sentence at your own peril.

I thought that the earlier recording was really magical! Full of intense nervous impetuousness which I find irresistible.  It's in this, on the second CD. 

JBS

Also this one, and his Pandolfi recordings if you haven't heard them
[asin]B0030UO9W2[/asin]

The Bach S&Ps are not sui generis, but can be thought of as a high point in the German violin tradition.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

premont

Ooh, it was a picture of Letzbor's Vilsmayr recording I suppose. I think Vilsmayr and Westhoff more anticipate the violinistic technical elements than the musical elements in Bach's S&P.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Florestan

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on August 11, 2019, 12:12:20 AM
Jorg Demus 21 CD set--

I have his complete Schumann box and it's wonderful.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks, I am just now listening through the Yves Nat 15 CD set, and I enjoy his Schumann quite a lot. Consider it if you don't have it. The Kinderszenen is a bit fast-paced with light pedal and not overly sentimental--still imbued with plenty of feeling. His Chopin I find uninspiring compared to many others. His Brahms Handel Variations are superb--technically dazzling. I will move onto his Beethoven this week (set has complete sonatas). 

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mandryka

Todd

While I don't intend on buying a lot of versions of the work, this one caught my eye.  Check out the two pianists.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 26, 2019, 02:24:43 AM

One of my favorite songs: Delahaye: Mort j'appelle de ta rigeur is on this CD, sung by Raphaël Boulay (known from Diabolus in Musica). He sings it reasonably expressively and the rest of the CD I would call nice and pleasant. I haven't listened to it since long, first and foremost because I have too much else to listen to.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 12, 2019, 10:31:23 PM

I own this too, haven't got the time to study the interpretation, but I acquired it for the interesting sound of this "arctic" organ, very well recorded.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 13, 2019, 01:24:10 PM
One of my favorite songs: Delahaye: Mort j'appelle de ta rigeur is on this CD, sung by Raphaël Boulay (known from Diabolus in Musica). He sings it reasonably expressively and the rest of the CD I would call nice and pleasant. I haven't listened to it since long, first and foremost because I have too much else to listen to.

Somehow I don't find La Morra specially inspiring, Ciconia apart. They're a bit too light for me maybe. I'm going to pass on this one I think, despite being interested to hear that setting of Villon you like.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 13, 2019, 01:26:52 PM
I own this too, haven't got the time to study the interpretation, but I acquired it for the interesting sound of this "arctic" organ, very well recorded.

It was the investigating the organ that drew my attention to the recording, I've just bought this

It's everything you would expect from Böcker: straightforward, modest and attractive enough if lacking the exciting tensions caused by hesitations and other embellishments  which would have made it into a  great experience.