Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 20, 2019, 03:53:49 AM
I have not heard this recording, but I own about 30 other releases from Forgotten Records. In many cases I have owned or at least known the original LPs, and I have not yet met any release from Forgotten Records, which I thought was over-filtered.

I ordered it after reading your comments and it arrived yesterday, it is by far and away the best transfer of these LPs that I've heard.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 24, 2019, 02:19:49 AM
I ordered it after reading your comments and it arrived yesterday, it is by far and away the best transfer of these LPs that I've heard.

Nice to hear. So this may be the one to have.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

amw

Listened to the new Dalberto Beethovens, liked 'em, now looking at this.

I already have at least 5 other complete Schubert piano sonata sets (Bilson, Badura Skoda x2, Vermeulen, Endres) and 3 partial ones (Zacharias, Arrau, Cooper). Is this a worthwhile addition? Can't find samples on my main streaming sites.

Todd

Quote from: amw on November 03, 2019, 12:48:19 AM

I already have at least 5 other complete Schubert piano sonata sets (Bilson, Badura Skoda x2, Vermeulen, Endres) and 3 partial ones (Zacharias, Arrau, Cooper). Is this a worthwhile addition? Can't find samples on my main streaming sites.

Yes.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on November 03, 2019, 12:48:19 AM

You can find this on the web easily enough. On the basis of listening to 959/I through a very good hifi, the sound is exceptional, the tone a little hard but that's not a criticism, just part of the interpretation, and the performance has character. Anyway you can easily find it for yourself.

Schubert's interesting isn't he? Strangely prescient of some contemporary ideas.

Mandryka

T. D.

Mandryka

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 19, 2019, 01:56:03 AM

Where is this available at an affordable price?

Quote from: Mandryka

I own this (download from Presto). Not listened to yet.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 19, 2019, 04:17:44 AM
Where is this available at an affordable price?

There was one at amazon uk for £15. Just bought it!

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 19, 2019, 04:32:26 AM
There was one at amazon uk for £15. Just bought it!

Well, the first to saddle is also the first to ride.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

T. D.

Have heard little of Faure's piano music, thinking about this (enjoy the Crossley I've heard to date)

But this inexpensive set includes Collard's recording plus the chamber music

Intrigued by the Crossley, more likely to get the Erato box for economic reasons.

Jo498

I have the Collard in a smaller box; it is highly regarded and I like it (have not much to compare it with and it is not music I know well or deeply care about). The chamber music from the ERATO box is also mostly supposed to be very good and the orchestral with Plasson at least pretty good. Overall a bargain that is hard to beat and you can always get some additional recordings for pieces you especially care about.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on December 26, 2019, 08:45:34 PM
Have heard little of Faure's piano music, thinking about this (enjoy the Crossley I've heard to date)

Intrigued by the Crossley, more likely to get the Erato box for economic reasons.

I would skip both of these sets. I really would. Crossley has proven himself to be unreliable in French music (his Debussy is dreadful as is his Poulenc). Collard is good but he's too rough in Fauré and the audio quality doesn't exactly let you hear all of the nuances in this music. My pick would be Kathryn Stott. For my money, I haven't heard anyone excel in Fauré as well as she does and she also is afforded exemplary audio quality thanks to Hyperion. Just buy her set and let this incredible music wash over you.

Ratliff

Quote from: T. D. on December 26, 2019, 08:45:34 PM

The violin and cello sonatas in the Erato box are remarkable. I enjoy the Collard recordings but be prepared for a very dry acoustic, as was typical of EMI France recordings of the era. Stott has become the standard recommendation these days but they are not cheap. Everything in that box is of high quality, a good place to start, I think.

Brian

My first set of Fauré piano music was the Collard. Honestly, perhaps in part due to the acoustic but also to his very literal serious playing, I just assumed after listening that I did not like Fauré. His music seemed like an occasional pretty melody surrounded by tough stuff.

I've since gotten over it thanks to individual CD recitals by the ultra-great Germain Thyssens-Valentin (who learned piano in the composer's time and clearly had a special closeness to his music) and the only slightly less great Nicolas Stavy and Sally Pinkas. Unfortunately that is a very expensive way to build a collection, and the GTV discs are getting tragically rare.

I am planning to get rid of my Collard box (the piano only set from Brilliant, so no chamber music) and if you want it and you're in the USA I can mail it to you for like $3-4 to cover stamps.

Ratliff

Stott is not as expensive as it used to be, judging by amazon.com. I'd recommend it if piano music is the only goal. The Erato (EMI) box does have good chamber and orchestral music recordings.