Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Anyone here have it? I've been listening to bits and pieces of it on Amazon. Wow, I'm impressed.

Todd

Spendy but tempting.  I know I can stream the sets, but I kinda want the physical media.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 08, 2020, 04:16:11 AM

Anyone here have it? I've been listening to bits and pieces of it on Amazon. Wow, I'm impressed.

I don't enjoy the Klavierstucke for home listening, they worked well enough in concert where there was a virtuoso circus element, but at home, no. Someone else can comment on the Beethoven with more authority than I can. I don't understand the concept, whether there's an interesting reason for putting the two types of music together.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2020, 06:46:41 AM
I don't enjoy the Klavierstucke for home listening, they worked well enough in concert where there was a virtuoso circus element, but at home, no. Someone else can comment on the Beethoven with more authority than I can. I don't understand the concept, whether there's an interesting reason for putting the two types of music together.

Unless I decide to move to New York or London, I somehow doubt I'll ever get the chance to see the Stockhausen Klavierstücke in concert. Anyway, I ordered it, mostly on the strength of Chen's great Goldberg Variations, but also because I'm a sucker for this kind of programming, newer music juxtaposed with older music—plus, I have long felt that there is something very modern about the last 5 Beethoven sonatas, and I would be curious to see if Chen is able to bring that out. I think Pollini does to some extent and that is why I love his recording of them.

T. D.

Mandryka

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 09, 2020, 04:23:49 AM
Unless I decide to move to New York or London, I somehow doubt I'll ever get the chance to see the Stockhausen Klavierstücke in concert.

Well all hope is not lost

https://www.artsatl.org/review-bent-frequencys-stuart-gerber-shows-virtuosity-soundnow-festival/

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2020, 10:11:37 PM
Well all hope is not lost

https://www.artsatl.org/review-bent-frequencys-stuart-gerber-shows-virtuosity-soundnow-festival/

:o That is awesome. We definitely get modern music performances here occasionally, I was just at a concert of works by Lutoslawski and Knussen, but I would have thought Stockhausen was just too avant-garde for us provincial folk.

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on February 06, 2020, 08:11:26 PM
I have listened to it (in this guise). The performances are professional studio quality, probably better than other commercially available recordings of the works. I have yet to make up my mind regarding the quality of the music, or lack thereof.

Since you made that comment I've spent quite a lot of time listening to the 6th quartet, I have the CD in the picture, I'm not actually sure who's playing.

I wouldn't like to comment on the quality of the music, I don't know how. But I can say this: it has grown on me, rather than me grow off it.

I've still not bought the complete quartets on bandcamp, I expect I will though.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2020, 07:08:16 AM
Since you made that comment I've spent quite a lot of time listening to the 6th quartet, I have the CD in the picture, I'm not actually sure who's playing.

I wouldn't like to comment on the quality of the music, I don't know how. But I can say this: it has grown on me, rather than me grow off it.

I've still not bought the complete quartets on bandcamp, I expect I will though.

I wonder why they left out #1.  I remember thinking they were fine works when I heard them way back when; but my affection for Babbitt has waned since then. 

I probably won't buy this set (I might if they were complete) but would be interested in hearing about them.

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on February 10, 2020, 08:17:28 AM
I wonder why they left out #1.  I remember thinking they were fine works when I heard them way back when; but my affection for Babbitt has waned since then. 

I probably won't buy this set (I might if they were complete) but would be interested in hearing about them.

Wikipedia lists SQ 1 as "withdrawn".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

San Antone

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2020, 07:08:16 AM

I've still not bought the complete [Babbitt] quartets on bandcamp, I expect I will though.

What I've heard on the Bandcamp site sounds very good. Not likely to buy it, though. I own a few Babbitt CDs (Elizabethan Sextette and some piano discs), but don't listen as frequently as I once did, and am not sure I'd play the quartets recording often enough to justify purchase.

Roy Bland

Mandryka

Quote from: San Antone on February 10, 2020, 08:17:28 AM

I downloaded the 6th quartet - the site will let you buy single tracks. It's faster than the recording I've come to know and love, and the result is that it sounds more uniform and a bit soulless. It's pretty uniform sounding and so quite hard for me to get my bearings in their performance. The thing that attracted me to the other performance on that "Occasional Variations" CD was lyricism, but that doesn't seem to be a major part of the Ars Combinatoria conception. I may change my mind about it, but at the moment I don't feel inclined to explore the set further.

Nicely recorded, as others have noticed.

betterthanfine

I'm looking for a good recording of Ravel's Ma mère l'Oye on piano. I've heard Pletnev & Argerich and like it, but I'm wondering if there's any others out there that I should listen to before buying.

Mirror Image

Quote from: betterthanfine on February 13, 2020, 12:02:15 PM
I'm looking for a good recording of Ravel's Ma mère l'Oye on piano. I've heard Pletnev & Argerich and like it, but I'm wondering if there's any others out there that I should listen to before buying.

There Argerich/Pletnev is an exquisite performance --- I seriously doubt it could be bettered. The only other performance that I remember is from Collard and Béroff on EMI, but haven't heard it.

betterthanfine

Thanks MI, I'll give that one a listen!

vers la flamme

Quote from: betterthanfine on February 13, 2020, 12:02:15 PM

I like Samson François & Pierre Barbizet and Pascal Rogé & Denise-Françoise Rogé (his wife?)

vers la flamme

OK, friends, what's the best Enigma Variations on record? Factoring in interpretation, orchestral playing, and last but not least, recorded sound. There are way too many out there for me to choose blindly, with my far too limited knowledge and experience of Elgar...