Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

premont

Quote from: Que on September 15, 2020, 07:05:54 AM
Haven't seen that one before!  :) Is it new?

From 1997. Neither was I avare of it, so I have just ordered it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 13, 2020, 04:22:19 AM

Thoughts? I know absolutely nothing of the composer except that he's a major name in early Baroque (or would it be late Renaissance?) keyboard music, but this is going for very cheap.

Well, back in 2009, I started a thread on Frescobaldi HERE - up to 5 pages now, so might be a good start - interestingly, my image posts on that opening thread were of the first two Brilliant volumes; since then, I've added Vols. 5 & 10, the latter in your post above.  I'll have to explore those other volumes - now have just those 4 sets.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Loreggian's 'Complete Frescobaldi Edition' has been available for a while and was just wondering why I had collected only 4 volumes (V. 1,2,5,10 - corresponding to CDs 1,2,3,4,7,8,14,15 in the listing below); well, the Masses, Madrigrals, and other vocal works were not of interest to me.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 15, 2020, 07:46:20 AM
From 1997. Neither was I avare of it, so I have just ordered it.
Me too, it has some polytextual motets. At the same time I ordered this, which I hadn't seen either. I have no idea what it is, but it was less that £5 delivered!

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 15, 2020, 08:09:21 AM
Well, back in 2009, I started a thread on Frescobaldi HERE - up to 5 pages now, so might be a good start - interestingly, my image posts on that opening thread were of the first two Brilliant volumes; since then, I've added Vols. 5 & 10, the latter in your post above.  I'll have to explore those other volumes - now have just those 4 sets.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Loreggian's 'Complete Frescobaldi Edition' has been available for a while and was just wondering why I had collected only 4 volumes (V. 1,2,5,10 - corresponding to CDs 1,2,3,4,7,8,14,15 in the listing below); well, the Masses, Madrigrals, and other vocal works were not of interest to me.

That is a fine set if one was interested in those areas of the composer's music.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 15, 2020, 09:43:15 AM
Me too, it has some polytextual motets. At the same time I ordered this, which I hadn't seen either. I have no idea what it is, but it was less that £5 delivered!

It's a liturgical play as written on the cover. I have ordered it too (12 Euros delivered).

More about the content:
http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/ssm1746.htm
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on September 16, 2020, 12:40:41 AM
That is a fine set if one was interested in those areas of the composer's music.

Hi Aligreto - agree completely, i.e. a great box set!  I just don't listen to a lot of vocal stuff from that era, just prefer the instrumental recordings, BUT have absolutely no objections to those who praise the other works.  Dave :)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 16, 2020, 02:16:56 PM
Hi Aligreto - agree completely, i.e. a great box set!  I just don't listen to a lot of vocal stuff from that era, just prefer the instrumental recordings, BUT have absolutely no objections to those who praise the other works.  Dave :)

Cheers, Dave. Yes, not everybody's cup of tea.

staxomega

Quote from: hvbias on September 11, 2020, 02:44:38 PM
Quatuor Danois in Debussy and Ravel's String Quartets - anyone have any thoughts? I can't find a place to stream/sample this. Thanks.

I found the Debussy unusual; a constant high wire nervousness throughout, not a great performance, just came off as under rehearsed if not off the mark.

vandermolen

A famous old series:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2020, 09:13:47 AM
A famous old series:

I've considered a buy, but I think I have 2/3 of its contents on individual discs. And those have excellent notes, so I wouldn't buy the set and sell the separate discs. Decisions, decisions... ::)

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 22, 2020, 11:23:59 AM
I've considered a buy, but I think I have 2/3 of its contents on individual discs. And those have excellent notes, so I wouldn't buy the set and sell the separate discs. Decisions, decisions... ::)

I'm in the same boat as you André as I also probably have a half to two thirds of the recordings and the box is without the atmospheric cover images or any notes at all. Still, it would be nice to have all of the recordings together.
Ho-hum  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 28, 2020, 02:56:22 PM
Looks very interesting. But it is probably next to unavailable.

No it's not unavailable. The company seems very responsive in fact, they reacted rapidly to an enquiry, they accept PayPal and they promised immediate dispatch.

Mandryka

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I would like to add Samson Francois, Paul Crossley, Michael Korstick, and Martino Tirimo. While it is not a complete set, Alexis Weissenberg's album proffers a fresh/controversial picture. Also, Hans Henkemans' recording is excellent though it is an old recording.

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 05, 2020, 05:02:06 PM
I've noticed that I do not have any complete set of Debussy's piano music from any one pianist. To say nothing to discredit the many great single and double discs of Debussy in my library from a variety of pianists including Ivan Moravec, Claudio Arrau, Mitsuko Uchida and Werner Haas, I feel the need to invest in a complete set by one pianist in order to get to know the music better.

Here are some of the ones I'm considering:

- Walter Gieseking, on EMI/Warner: this is THE classic Debussy piano set. I love what I've heard, which is essentially all of it; Gieseking is to Debussy what Schnabel was to Beethoven, or Cortot to Chopin.

- Noriko Ogawa, on BIS. Love what I've heard. Great digital sound, with nice, highly impressionistic playing. Need to sample more of it first.

- Aldo Ciccolini, on Erato/EMI. I have not heard much of this, but based on his great recordings of Satie and Liszt, Ciccolini appears to be just the man for the job.

- Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, on Chandos. Again, I have not heard much, but it's been recommended to me on several occasions.

- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, on DG. OK, fine, it's not complete, at all. But what I've heard of it is quite incredible, especially les Images—I've never heard anyone play them like that. I was slightly less impressed with the Preludes; equally great, virtuosic playing, but less to offer in terms of interpretative uniqueness.

- Werner Haas, on Philips. I have half of it, so it would be a matter of just tracking down the other 2CD. Not quite sure how I feel about it.

- François-Joël Thiollier, on Naxos. I always see 3 or 4 of these CDs at my favorite record store, but I haven't heard any of it—any good?

Does anyone here have a favorite complete Debussy piano set? Are we better off with individual CDs, or is there a pianist out there who has nailed the whole catalog?

Mandryka

I've noticed that I do not have any complete set of Debussy's piano music from any one pianist. To say nothing to discredit the many great single and double discs of Debussy in my library from a variety of pianists including Ivan Moravec, Claudio Arrau, Mitsuko Uchida and Werner Haas, I feel the need to invest in a complete set by one pianist in order to get to know the music better.

Here are some of the ones I'm considering:

- Walter Gieseking, on EMI/Warner: this is THE classic Debussy piano set. I love what I've heard, which is essentially all of it; Gieseking is to Debussy what Schnabel was to Beethoven, or Cortot to Chopin.

- Noriko Ogawa, on BIS. Love what I've heard. Great digital sound, with nice, highly impressionistic playing. Need to sample more of it first.

- Aldo Ciccolini, on Erato/EMI. I have not heard much of this, but based on his great recordings of Satie and Liszt, Ciccolini appears to be just the man for the job.

- Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, on Chandos. Again, I have not heard much, but it's been recommended to me on several occasions.

- Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, on DG. OK, fine, it's not complete, at all. But what I've heard of it is quite incredible, especially les Images—I've never heard anyone play them like that. I was slightly less impressed with the Preludes; equally great, virtuosic playing, but less to offer in terms of interpretative uniqueness.

- Werner Haas, on Philips. I have half of it, so it would be a matter of just tracking down the other 2CD. Not quite sure how I feel about it.

- François-Joël Thiollier, on Naxos. I always see 3 or 4 of these CDs at my favorite record store, but I haven't heard any of it—any good?

Does anyone here have a favorite complete Debussy piano set? Are we better off with individual CDs, or is there a pianist out there who has nailed the whole catalog?

Michel Béroff (Denon); Daniel Ericourt. Be sure to hear Cortot - he recorded preludes twice. And Richter.

Mandryka

Do you have a large holding of shares in EMI?