Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 31, 2020, 07:49:34 PM

From the samples, it sounds amazing.

1+ - I'm a big fan of Purcell's instrumental music and have had that box for a number of years - usually run though all discs several times annually - :) Dave

premont

Quote from: deprofundis on October 31, 2020, 09:01:07 PM
the Fitzwilliam  complete virginal book  coming on this November on brilliant classical , this is gonna be huge!!! I tell you HUGE, am I the only one interrest in this  15 CD box-set  :P

Some of the interested people (Harry and I, probably others too) have acquired the individual volumes along the road, so we don't need the box.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

staxomega

Elisabeth Leonskaja's Schubert - any particular highlights from her recordings I should sample first?

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on November 14, 2020, 07:22:19 AM
Elisabeth Leonskaja's Schubert - any particular highlights from her recordings I should sample first?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

T. D.

I know there's a "complete symphonies and concerti" Supraphon box, but what I really want to hear is the string quartets (Praga, hard to find).
This set gives one quartet and some other chamber music.

Daverz

Quote from: T. D. on November 14, 2020, 07:48:27 AM

I know there's a "complete symphonies and concerti" Supraphon box, but what I really want to hear is the string quartets (Praga, hard to find).

It's a very good box and does not overlap with the Supraphon box.  I'd also recommend the recent CD of cello/violin/clarinet sonatas.

https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/412673-kalabis-sonaty-pro-violoncello-klarinet-housle-a-klavir/cd

vandermolen

Quote from: T. D. on November 14, 2020, 07:48:27 AM

Sinfonia Pacis (Symphony No.2), if you don't know it, is a masterpiece IMO.

I'm considering this set:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Opinions requested on these two sets.

Negatives: I have all this music in several other performances.
Positive: They are on sale for $11.49 and $11.99 respectively.

Anyone have these performances and care to say what they are like?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

I only know the 4 violin concerti with Zehetmair which is my favorite recording of them but you can probably get this easily as a single (orig. Berlin Classics). Note that unlike Musica Amphion with Belder, both Zehetmair and the suites with Güttler are modern instruments, although HIP influenced (I guess the double concerto conducted by Masur is not). Never even seen the Beethoven trio recordings. They are hypercomplete with three arrangements (that I for one do not yet have but am not terribly interested in them either).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on November 18, 2020, 12:34:58 PM
I only know the 4 violin concerti with Zehetmair which is my favorite recording of them but you can probably get this easily as a single (orig. Berlin Classics). Note that unlike Musica Amphion with Belder, both Zehetmair and the suites with Güttler are modern instruments, although HIP influenced (I guess the double concerto conducted by Masur is not). Never even seen the Beethoven trio recordings. They are hypercomplete with three arrangements (that I for one do not yet have but am not terribly interested in them either).

Thanks.

The price for the Bach set is probably about what I'd pay for the single CD.

As for the Beethoven, comparing it to the Beaux Arts Trio (which I've had for years), the only thing not in the BAT set is the arrangement of the String Quintet.

ETA
I think you would find the arrangement of the Second Symphony interesting.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pretorious

I've been considering this set of Mozart's piano concertos for quite a while now.

[asin]B00002DEGZ[/asin]

My reservations about it stem from the sound quality of the fortepiano in this recording. I'm a HIP and period instrument aficionado, but this sounds nothing like any fortepiano I've heard on so many other recordings. From clips I've heard, the recording quality seems subpar for the instrument, at best. Maybe I'm being too picky. Does anyone have insights on this recording?
"Tis said, that art is long, and life but fleeting:—Nay; life is long, and brief the span of art; If e're her breath vouchsafes with gods a meeting, A moment's favor 'tis of which we've had a part." -Beethoven - Conversation Book, March 1820

https://codeandcoda.wordpress.com

Roy Bland

A neo romantic french composer of last century

amw

Quote from: Pretorious on November 27, 2020, 03:07:58 PM
I've been considering this set of Mozart's piano concertos for quite a while now.

[asin]B00002DEGZ[/asin]

My reservations about it stem from the sound quality of the fortepiano in this recording. I'm a HIP and period instrument aficionado, but this sounds nothing like any fortepiano I've heard on so many other recordings. From clips I've heard, the recording quality seems subpar for the instrument, at best. Maybe I'm being too picky. Does anyone have insights on this recording?
The fortepiano sounds fine to me, honestly. Bilson's playing has a bit more bite and drama than most of the other fortepianists I know of who've recorded the set; this isn't exactly relaxed Mozart, it plays up the contrasts and the operatic drama and lacks the sense of noble melancholy you get from e.g. Immerseel. If you really don't like the sound and want another recording with similar characteristics you could try the Brautigam set instead.

Brian

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2020, 06:30:11 AM
Sinfonia Pacis (Symphony No.2), if you don't know it, is a masterpiece IMO.

I'm considering this set:

Jeffrey,
I bought the Malcolm Williamson concerto set. It's interesting - he went through a number of styles, not totally different from each other but different enough that your reaction to each concerto will not be the same. For me, that meant I really enjoyed some of them and found others to be quite dry and stern. I don't know how you will react, maybe you will have opposite favorites - but either way you should definitely enjoy at least 45 minutes of stuff in the set.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pretorious on November 27, 2020, 03:07:58 PM

Hi - I have 2 MI performances of these Wolfie works and 2 w/ period instruments, one the Bilson recordings which I find the keyboard in the background unless the volume is turned up; my other box is inserted above w/ Viviana Sofronitzki on harpsichord and fortepiano, the latter an Anton Walter reproduction by Paul McNulty (her husband) - her playing is superb, however, the orchestra has been somewhat criticized by a few reviewers (esp. the ever favorite Jed Distler in this forum -  >:D) - see the attached reviews, if interested - when I want to here the Mozart PCs on period instruments, I invariably go to the Sofronitzki box.  Dave :)

P.S. in the Distler review, Viviana is noted to be the 'step daughter' of the famous Vladimir S. - but she was his real daughter by a second wife, I believe, so with such poor research I'm not sure how hard he listened to her recordings, but just my 2 cents!  ::)

Carlo Gesualdo

Beside the box-set of 15CD's  the gombert masse double CD's, how about it , and that it for now.   8)

Pretorious

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 28, 2020, 08:33:14 PM
Hi - I have 2 MI performances of these Wolfie works and 2 w/ period instruments, one the Bilson recordings which I find the keyboard in the background unless the volume is turned up; my other box is inserted above w/ Viviana Sofronitzki on harpsichord and fortepiano, the latter an Anton Walter reproduction by Paul McNulty (her husband) - her playing is superb, however, the orchestra has been somewhat criticized by a few reviewers (esp. the ever favorite Jed Distler in this forum -  >:D) - see the attached reviews, if interested - when I want to here the Mozart PCs on period instruments, I invariably go to the Sofronitzki box.  Dave :)

P.S. in the Distler review, Viviana is noted to be the 'step daughter' of the famous Vladimir S. - but she was his real daughter by a second wife, I believe, so with such poor research I'm not sure how hard he listened to her recordings, but just my 2 cents!  ::)

Thanks for the recommendation! I will certainly check out Sofronitsky's performance as it sounds more intriguing the more I hear of it. Contentious reviews only serve more to that purpose!

Quote from: amw on November 27, 2020, 06:11:39 PM

The fortepiano sounds fine to me, honestly. Bilson's playing has a bit more bite and drama than most of the other fortepianists I know of who've recorded the set; this isn't exactly relaxed Mozart, it plays up the contrasts and the operatic drama and lacks the sense of noble melancholy you get from e.g. Immerseel. If you really don't like the sound and want another recording with similar characteristics you could try the Brautigam set instead.

Thank you as well. I adore Brautigam, and now that I see he has completed his cycle, I have to have myself a listen.
"Tis said, that art is long, and life but fleeting:—Nay; life is long, and brief the span of art; If e're her breath vouchsafes with gods a meeting, A moment's favor 'tis of which we've had a part." -Beethoven - Conversation Book, March 1820

https://codeandcoda.wordpress.com

André

Beethoven violin concerto.

Anyone heard this? Heard the whole first mov. on YT and it's...different. As taut and propulsive as Heifetz/Munch (same timing), but chamber music-like, with sparing vibrato. Coupled with an arrangement of the op 95 sq.

Artem

Does anyone have William Youn's box set of Mozart sonatas from Oehms? I'm curious about presentation of the disks in the box and liner notes. Not sure if individual disks would be better or not.