Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Artem on December 17, 2020, 05:22:01 AM
Does anyone have William Youn's box set of Mozart sonatas from Oehms? I'm curious about presentation of the disks in the box and liner notes. Not sure if individual disks would be better or not.

It's the five individual discs in a slipcase.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Artem

Thank you. Sounds like a good deal.

SonicMan46

Mozart - String Quartets - 5 CD box of the 'mature' Wolfie SQs w/ the Klenke Quartett - this morning in the listening thread, their recording of the Mozart String Quintets was posted (I already have the Talich & Nash Ensemble recordings of these works which satisfy me), so I took a look on Amazon and saw that their performances of the SQs (from 2004-2007) was released in 2019 as the box shown below - now I have the Quartetto Italiano in all of his early and mature quartets and the PI performance of the last ten w/ Quatuor Mosaïques - looked at some positive reviews (see attachment, if interested), including a Scott Morrison GMG post HERE - so curious about comments from others?  This group would be a nice fit w/ the others in my collection.  Thanks.  Dave :)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 19, 2020, 09:47:02 AM
Mozart - String Quartets - 5 CD box of the 'mature' Wolfie SQs w/ the Klenke Quartett - this morning in the listening thread, their recording of the Mozart String Quintets was posted (I already have the Talich & Nash Ensemble recordings of these works which satisfy me), so I took a look on Amazon and saw that their performances of the SQs (from 2004-2007) was released in 2019 as the box shown below - now I have the Quartetto Italiano in all of his early and mature quartets and the PI performance of the last ten w/ Quatuor Mosaïques - looked at some positive reviews (see attachment, if interested), including a Scott Morrison GMG post HERE - so curious about comments from others?  This group would be a nice fit w/ the others in my collection.  Thanks.  Dave :)

That _would_ be a nice fit: I think the Klenke's is an EXCELLENT set (for the Quartets, especially) of contemporary readings (from the early 2000s). Neither hip nor old-school and therefore a real alternative to what you already have. If I had to recommend such a set to anyone, it would probably be my first choice.

DaveF

Does anyone know the difference between these 2 issues:

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/britten-war-requiem-the-bach-choir/0002894786023

and

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/benjamin-britten-war-requiem-vishnevskaya-pears-fischer-dieskau-britten/3610154542805

?

In case links to the UK site don't work, they are the "classic" Britten recording of the War Requiem on Decca and apparently exactly the same recording on a label named, in not exactly idiomatic English, "Awards Winners".  In fact, the samples on the latter sound better to my ears than on the former.  And it's a third of the price.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

SonicMan46

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 20, 2020, 11:53:00 PM
That _would_ be a nice fit: I think the Klenke's is an EXCELLENT set (for the Quartets, especially) of contemporary readings (from the early 2000s). Neither hip nor old-school and therefore a real alternative to what you already have. If I had to recommend such a set to anyone, it would probably be my first choice.

Thanks Jens for the comments and your 'thumbs up' support for the Klenke Quartett - the day of my post, I made a Spotify playlist of their SQ performances and enjoyed; so, made an Amazon order for the box the next day!  Dave :)

grocklin

Regarding the Klenke Mozart, I've been waiting for the perfect set of modern Mozart quartets and I think it is coming from the Engegard Quartet. They've put out two albums (21-22-23 + 15-16-19) and a third is coming this spring. Both are on Spotify. They're everything I've been waiting for.

I also really liked the Quatuor Sine Nomine Mozart Quintets.

SonicMan46

Quote from: grocklin on December 22, 2020, 05:31:53 AM
Regarding the Klenke Mozart, I've been waiting for the perfect set of modern Mozart quartets and I think it is coming from the Engegard Quartet. They've put out two albums (21-22-23 + 15-16-19) and a third is coming this spring. Both are on Spotify. They're everything I've been waiting for.

I also really liked the Quatuor Sine Nomine Mozart Quintets.

Well, for modern recordings of these works, appears that there are plenty of excellent options now and on the horizon - I'm pleased w/ ordering the Klenke Quartett, especially after reading the Jerry Dubins reviews, listening to the group on Spotify, and getting a 'thumbs up' from SurprisedByBeauty - Dave :)

Madiel

Is anyone familiar with these albums?

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Madiel on December 22, 2020, 08:59:30 PM
Is anyone familiar with these albums?

I do not, so this won't help much (sorry), but two comments come to mind: Ann Murray, I would think, is getting a little up there, in age... once a wonderful singer. Roderick Williams, however, is a gorgeous-sounding baritone.

Madiel

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 23, 2020, 01:48:58 AM
I do not, so this won't help much (sorry), but two comments come to mind: Ann Murray, I would think, is getting a little up there, in age... once a wonderful singer. Roderick Williams, however, is a gorgeous-sounding baritone.

Well the first thing you don't know about them is that Ann Murray was at least 12-13 years younger when she made the recording.

As was everybody else of course.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Madiel on December 23, 2020, 01:55:43 AM
Well the first thing you don't know about them is that Ann Murray was at least 12-13 years younger when she made the recording.

As was everybody else of course.

True, I didn't know the exact recording date, but I do know those are 2007 (or thereabouts) releases. But Ann Murray, I think it is fair to say, was getting up there even 13, 14 years ago.
Anyone wanting to sample bits, I think it can be done on the Hyperion site, for example. (But probably the other usual sources, too)

Papy Oli

I like what I sampled of this. I only have a Martinon set (coupled with Ravel) but the sound has always been a problem on top of my response to this music over the years. Somehow, now, I liked those random samples on that Naxos, clear sound and melodic. Only £11.65 as FLAC on Qobuz.

Considering this one very much for sound quality and clarity too and surprisingly loved the samples (Ruled out Gieseking, old sound puts me off, Ruled out Ciccolini, too much reverb in the sound). I only have a couple of Michelangeli's on the shelf, looking for a modern recording set to explore further.

Any other alternatives to consider please ?

Not in the market for any full collection or Edition (DG, Warner or other). I would not have enough appetite for songs etc, so i'd rather cherry pick recordings that hit the mark in their own section.
Olivier

Jo498

I don't know any of these but note that the Naxos box is more than complete. About 3 discs are sufficient for Debussy's original orchestral works. the remainder are orchestrations of fragments and piano music. Of non-historical "core" orchestral Debussy consider Boulez (Sony and DG), for piano Kocsis (unfortunately no Etudes) and Samson Francois (maybe not good enough sound).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 24, 2020, 03:49:31 AM

I like what I sampled of this. I only have a Martinon set (coupled with Ravel) but the sound has always been a problem on top of my response to this music over the years. Somehow, now, I liked those random samples on that Naxos, clear sound and melodic. Only £11.65 as FLAC on Qobuz.

Considering this one very much for sound quality and clarity too and surprisingly loved the samples (Ruled out Gieseking, old sound puts me off, Ruled out Ciccolini, too much reverb in the sound). I only have a couple of Michelangeli's on the shelf, looking for a modern recording set to explore further.

Any other alternatives to consider please ?

Not in the market for any full collection or Edition (DG, Warner or other). I would not have enough appetite for songs etc, so i'd rather cherry pick recordings that hit the mark in their own section.

Beroff on Denon
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

The Bavouzet was my own piano choice and I'm yet to regret it. Definitely opened my ears to some Debussy that I didn't really appreciate before.

For orchestral works there is a 2 CD set of all the main works that is mostly conducted by Haitink and is very highly regarded.

Brian

Some of the major works in the Naxos orchestral set are rhythmically a little droopy, and the Lyon orchestra plays in a big concert hall with a distant acoustic. There is noticeable improvement in the later volumes, because Leonard Slatkin took over the orchestra during the project and began improving its quality of play. I would only consider that set if you really wanted all the obscure rare stuff that is not available on other "hits" collections such as Haitink or the very well recorded SACD set with Stéphane Denève.

Papy Oli

Food for thought there, thank you.

Sampled the Haitink and the Deneve quickly. Both good contenders indeed. I'll check Boulez and the piano recs in the next few days. Thank you.
Olivier

Madiel

Any views on versions of Albeniz' Iberia (for piano, not interested in orchestrations).

All 3 of Alicia de Larrocha's versions are still available, so even between them I'm not sure whether there's a consistent opinion as to which is the best.

amw

I was very impressed with Kotaro Fukuma's newish recording. I also like Michel Block's old and probably unavailable one.