Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

ritter

Quote from: Daverz on June 07, 2021, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: T. D. on May 05, 2021, 11:06:27 AM
From the latest Berkshire e-mailing:

I would grab any Bour recordings in this series.
+1

I have Bour in several Ravel recordings, and they are all first-rate.

This is seems to partially overlap with the release on offer in Berkshire:

This set is fantastic (as is its companion with music of the 2nd Viennese School and Bartók):

And Bour made the first recording of L'enfant et les sortilèges:

T. D.

Another interesting item at Berkshire:

On the excellent Australian Eloquence label. Only thing scaring me off is the repertoire. Less than enthusiastic about a full 3 CDs dedicated to the complete Variations by LvB.

vers la flamme

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 02, 2021, 02:40:01 AM

Thoughts on this recent release?

Are those new transfers?

I just listened to this, it must be more than 10 years ago since I heard it, I'd forgotten what a fabulous pianist sounds like!

Ward Marston really has managed to squeeze a lot of music out of the shellac or whatever it was he used, they sound very good.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Quote from: T. D. on July 01, 2021, 10:47:08 PM
Another interesting item at Berkshire:

On the excellent Australian Eloquence label. Only thing scaring me off is the repertoire. Less than enthusiastic about a full 3 CDs dedicated to the complete Variations by LvB.
I own this one. The Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, and French album are all good enough to get this at the discounted price I would guess Berkshire is offering (mine was about $32). I really enjoy her light touch which still has great virtuosity. She is neither a banger nor a moper. As for the mostly youthful Beethoven variations - this next bit presumes you don't know them at all, so if you know these works well, skip to the next paragraph. They're really quite fun in a low key way. Except for Diabelli, Eroica, and 32 in C minor, they basically all sound like Mozart, in a good way, with lots of charm and wit. They also use a lot of familiar themes from Mozart, God Save the Queen, etc. Good background music for driving or chores or solving crosswords.

Anyway, Ousset's skillset of quick fingers, French charm, and playful touch make these basically the best recordings out there of the early Beethoven (not that there are many great pianists who have ever bothered with them!). My drive to work is about 8-9 minutes and many of the works are, too, so I use those discs for that.

Brian

Quote from: Mandryka on July 02, 2021, 03:23:28 AM
Are those new transfers?
Unfortunately that Brilliant box is mostly present day pianists, not the man himself in transfers. The ClassicsToday review lists the contents: - oops just realized it's paywalled. Well, the stuff with Lukas Geniusas and Zlata Chochieva are extremely high quality, big red blooded romantic stuff from pianists with ridiculous firepower.

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2021, 05:28:56 AM
Unfortunately that Brilliant box is mostly present day pianists, not the man himself in transfers. The ClassicsToday review lists the contents: - oops just realized it's paywalled. Well, the stuff with Lukas Geniusas and Zlata Chochieva are extremely high quality, big red blooded romantic stuff from pianists with ridiculous firepower.

Oh right, completely misunderstood.

Still, it was a pleasure to revisit Rachmaninov's Chopin!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2021, 05:24:39 AM
I own this one. The Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, and French album are all good enough to get this at the discounted price I would guess Berkshire is offering (mine was about $32). I really enjoy her light touch which still has great virtuosity. She is neither a banger nor a moper. As for the mostly youthful Beethoven variations - this next bit presumes you don't know them at all, so if you know these works well, skip to the next paragraph. They're really quite fun in a low key way. Except for Diabelli, Eroica, and 32 in C minor, they basically all sound like Mozart, in a good way, with lots of charm and wit. They also use a lot of familiar themes from Mozart, God Save the Queen, etc. Good background music for driving or chores or solving crosswords.

Anyway, Ousset's skillset of quick fingers, French charm, and playful touch make these basically the best recordings out there of the early Beethoven (not that there are many great pianists who have ever bothered with them!). My drive to work is about 8-9 minutes and many of the works are, too, so I use those discs for that.

Thanks, extremely helpful. Your presumption (emphasis added) is completely accurate! Berkshire's price is $20.93, 1 cent per disc under my $2.99 "why not?" threshold.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Black Composers Series, CBS Sony. Worth buying it?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 04, 2021, 08:00:31 PM
Black Composers Series, CBS Sony. Worth buying it?

It's worth considering as some of this music you won't be able to find anywhere, but I was underwhelmed by much of the music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 04, 2021, 08:29:04 PM
It's worth considering as some of this music you won't be able to find anywhere, but I was underwhelmed by much of the music.

Thank you John. Then, I won't purchase it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 05, 2021, 06:30:01 AM
Thank you John. Then, I won't purchase it.

No problem, but it's important to remember that I'm but merely one opinion and your ears are of a stronger persuasion than anything I or anyone else could say. :)

staxomega

Anyone care to offer an opinion on this? I can't find a way to stream/sample it anywhere.

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on July 05, 2021, 12:22:52 PM
Anyone care to offer an opinion on this? I can't find a way to stream/sample it anywhere.

It's very good, but doesn't displace Boulez.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2021, 06:34:09 AM
No problem, but it's important to remember that I'm but merely one opinion and your ears are of a stronger persuasion than anything I or anyone else could say. :)

No, your opinion is enough.  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 05, 2021, 03:53:40 PM
No, your opinion is enough.  ;D

Alright, I do understand. By the way, on your recommendation (not to me, but perhaps in general), I'll be Czeching (sorry I had to) out Kaprálová's music. In particular, the Military Sinfonietta, which I heard is outstanding. Her music is so difficult to find on CD, so I'll probably be buying the following as digital downloads:

These are all good priced downloads via Qobuz.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2021, 12:49:49 PM
It's very good, but doesn't displace Boulez.

This Lulu DVD (or some version thereof) has long been somewhere on my want list, but I haven't gotten around to it:

I attended a Levine-conducted  Lulu at the Met c. 2001. Perhaps the same cast/production as the above recording?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2021, 04:57:24 PM
Alright, I do understand. By the way, on your recommendation (not to me, but perhaps in general), I'll be Czeching (sorry I had to) out Kaprálová's music. In particular, the Military Sinfonietta, which I heard is outstanding. Her music is so difficult to find on CD, so I'll probably be buying the following as digital downloads:

These are all good priced downloads via Qobuz.

;D
John, glad to hear that you are interested in her music. I don't know the last album, looks VERY interesting. The other two recordings present wonderful/likable compositions with good/fair performances. I personally like the recordings on YT below though I don't know if they are available in market.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_llPJuanOr0x6qZqSkoMbueluZa4EAQts0

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lZdMq73N53esFXaYp-kIQTtC7_QZmMaBQ

P.s. another one.  https://youtu.be/rn9uZxWkgJU

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 05, 2021, 05:15:27 PM
  ;D
John, glad to hear that you are interested in her music. I don't know the last album, looks VERY interesting. The other two recordings present wonderful/likable compositions with good/fair performances. I personally like the recordings on YT below though I don't know if they are available in market.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_llPJuanOr0x6qZqSkoMbueluZa4EAQts0

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lZdMq73N53esFXaYp-kIQTtC7_QZmMaBQ

P.s. another one.  https://youtu.be/rn9uZxWkgJU

Both the first and second link are on Qobuz. The last link you provided is a work I already have in one of the downloads I just bought. I should probably buy those, too. ::) :D Damn...but thanks for your feedback. She's another case of dying way too young.