Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Not a big fan of Ozawa, but I read some nice good reviews on the Amazon USA site. Should I get it?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 11, 2022, 03:19:27 PM
Not a big fan of Ozawa, but I read some nice good reviews on the Amazon USA site. Should I get it?

Nope. There are so many other performances that are worth your attention, IMHO. Hell, I even prefer Dutoit to Ozawa in Falla.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2022, 03:24:50 PM
Nope. There are so many other performances that are worth your attention, IMHO. Hell, I even prefer Dutoit to Ozawa in Falla.

To be fair, I think the Dutoit recording is very fine (especially 3c hat). I know you don't care much though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 11, 2022, 03:27:36 PM
To be fair, I think the Dutoit recording is very fine (especially 3c hat). I know you don't care much though.

I like Dutoit pretty well actually. I just didn't care for his Holst. He's especially fine in Impressionistic music.

Rinaldo

Quote from: North Star on January 11, 2022, 07:58:32 AM
Concerto Italiano is certainly worth considering. This box has it paired with great Pergolesi and Allegri albums (not familiar with Minkowski's Bach) for the same price as the single issue, with the original albums in a cardboard box, so you get the liner notes etc. And it has the added benefit of being led by your namesake. ;)

Hah :) Looks like quite the steal, thank you!

Roy Bland

Two italian composers of jewish heritage (Sinigaglia died before deportation)

Mountain Goat

A couple of discussions on the forum prompted me to consider these sets, at least after pay day:

Warner Saint-Saëns Edition (34 CDs)

This seems to be a cost-effective way of acquiring all of Saint-Saëns' major works in decent performances. The only glaring omissions I can find are the 2nd cello concerto and the Oratorio de Noël.

Dvořák: Complete Symphonies, Staatskapelle Berlin/Otmar Suitner

An excellent value set which also manages not to split any of the symphonies between CDs, unlike some of the others.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2022, 04:26:35 PM
I like Dutoit pretty well actually. I just didn't care for his Holst. He's especially fine in Impressionistic music.

Have you checked Dutoit's Kodaly? Last time, you were not interested.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/kod%C3%A1ly-orchestral-works-0

Madiel

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 21, 2022, 03:28:45 PM
A couple of discussions on the forum prompted me to consider these sets, at least after pay day:

Warner Saint-Saëns Edition (34 CDs)

This seems to be a cost-effective way of acquiring all of Saint-Saëns' major works in decent performances. The only glaring omissions I can find are the 2nd cello concerto and the Oratorio de Noël.

Dvořák: Complete Symphonies, Staatskapelle Berlin/Otmar Suitner

An excellent value set which also manages not to split any of the symphonies between CDs, unlike some of the others.

Also in the middle of contemplating the Suitner... I'm not sure of it's availability but there is also a larger Brilliant box that includes those 5 discs plus other Dvorak works by other conductors. The Suitner is still the main drawcard, but if you happen to see the larger box for a similar price then you're just getting bonuses.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mountain Goat

Quote from: Madiel on January 21, 2022, 04:57:55 PM
Also in the middle of contemplating the Suitner... I'm not sure of it's availability but there is also a larger Brilliant box that includes those 5 discs plus other Dvorak works by other conductors. The Suitner is still the main drawcard, but if you happen to see the larger box for a similar price then you're just getting bonuses.

Thanks! I was not aware of this box - it would be an even better option but unfortunately seems to be out of print, and only available used for a silly price, or as a download.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 21, 2022, 04:08:04 PM
Have you checked Dutoit's Kodaly? Last time, you were not interested.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/kod%C3%A1ly-orchestral-works-0

I was looking through my some of my collection and ran across this Dutoit recording. I haven't heard it in years, so I'll have to get back to you on that one, Dry Brett. :)

T. D.

Couple of iffy Kairos recordings that just showed up at Berkshire:

Concept seems interesting, but afraid it might sound like Xenakis, whose music I seldom enjoy (or listen to).

Well, it is Morton Feldman, but I doubt the film projects were successful and fear a certain, so to speak, scraping of the bottom of the Feldman compositional barrel.

Might risk it anyway.  :P

vers la flamme

Thoughts on Celibidache's Schubert 9th?

vers la flamme

André

Mirror Image

Parsishna

Quote from: Florestan on April 11, 2007, 11:38:16 AM
Yes, I've read some enthusiastic reviews myself, including David Hurwitz. :)

What about the Muti / Wiener Philharmoniker set? Have you heard this one?

Harnoncourt Concertgebouw Schubert Cycle is as close to that "dirty (because so abused)" expression - ""Definitive...

Jo498

I don't think so, and I am rather a fan of Harnoncourt (probably more so than of Schubert's symphonies). It's good and commendable but not unexpectedly odd enough in some places  to not merit an unqualified recommendation. Some people apparently vastly prefer one or both of NH's two other live cycles, one from the late 1980s? with the Chamber orchestra of Europe and a much later one with the Berlin Philharmonic. (Both rather expensive, so I'll pass anyway.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

I've collected a dozen Schubert cycles over the years and the only one that gave me unalloyed pleasure is Suitner's. A few others are very fine, but not as much IMO.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2021, 06:47:40 AM
I need to revisit the Prokofiev symphonies and I think Litton will be the man for the job. I'll have to dig all recordings out storage and rip them. Thanks the nudge, Dave.

As I've said before, Litton's Prokofiev cycle on BIS is absolutely exemplary in every regard, due in no small part to the involved, virtuosic playing of the Bergen Phil and BIS' crystalline and detailed sonics. Anyone yet to be convinced by some of the symphonies needs to hear these recordings!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff