Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: André on May 04, 2022, 01:08:04 PM

I have most of the CPO Pettersson discs individually (2 are misssing). If CPO were to re-release them in a space-saving box I'd pounce !! One can lways hope... ::)

Yeah not space saving!  Drats!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on May 04, 2022, 01:49:37 PM
Thanks so much. You've managed to hit exactly the right page of the booklet for me to know for certain that they reproduced material from the separate releases.

All good, mate. Hope you get that set and enjoy it fully.
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 04, 2022, 02:04:45 PM
All good, mate. Hope you get that set and enjoy it fully.

It's now just a question of the best way of getting one of the permutations. I actually own the op.33 discs already, but all of the bits I've heard are so great that I want the lot.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

Now I see the pictures of the Mosaiques set, I realized that I do have a similarly designed Naive set with recordings by Hantai. It's certainly above average sturdy and beautiful among this kind of packaging and I would not hesitate buying another of this design.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Adrienne Hausser is a pianist on Eotvos's Les Noces.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

With Qobuz having a 50% off sale on Naxos (inlcuding hi-res) this is a good time for me to investigate their series of Japanese composers..... I know quite a few have been warmly recommended here on the forum.  I know NONE - so which 2 discs would be the best entry point for something distinctive/symphonic etc? 

Re the Qobuz sale - worth saying that hi-res at around £3.75 is very cheap given that new release Naxos on CD are around £10 - so in effect more than a 50% discount......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 17, 2022, 12:25:37 AM
With Qobuz having a 50% off sale on Naxos (inlcuding hi-res) this is a good time for me to investigate their series of Japanese composers..... I know quite a few have been warmly recommended here on the forum.  I know NONE - so which 2 discs would be the best entry point for something distinctive/symphonic etc? 

Re the Qobuz sale - worth saying that hi-res at around £3.75 is very cheap given that new release Naxos on CD are around £10 - so in effect more than a 50% discount......
Hayasaka: Piano Concerto
Moroi: Symphony No.3

Also:
Hashimoto: Symphony No.1
Orchestral favourites.

The Hayasaka has a long and deeply moving opening movement followed by a incongruously perky and short second movement. Sometimes I just listen to the 20 minute opening movement.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 17, 2022, 01:05:34 AM
Hayasaka: Piano Concerto
Moroi: Symphony No.3

Also:
Hashimoto: Symphony No.1
Orchestral favourites.

The Hayasaka has a long and deeply moving opening movement followed by a incongruously perky and short second movement. Sometimes I just listen to the 20 minute opening movement.

Perfect! - thankyou for the suggestions - just put them in my basket!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 17, 2022, 02:03:46 AM
Perfect! - thankyou for the suggestions - just put them in my basket!
I hope that you enjoy them. Others might have different favourites.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Mozart String Quintets, Auryn Quartet+Imai.

A good complement to the aristocratic Grumiaux Trio + 2 on Philips (my most preferred recording)?

Note added: I just noticed something about "inspiring tube sound" on the cover. What's that supposed to be. Intermodular distortion added? I don't think I'm considering this as seriously as I once was.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Oh interesting, it looks like that label is used when they record with tube microphones.

https://positive-feedback.com/interviews/andreas-spreer/

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on May 18, 2022, 05:40:01 PM
Oh interesting, it looks like that label is used when they record with tube microphones.

...and a 1950's Telefunken tape recorder. I think I'll pass on this one.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 18, 2022, 08:27:48 AM
Mozart String Quintets, Auryn Quartet+Imai.

A good complement to the aristocratic Grumiaux Trio + 2 on Philips (my most preferred recording)?

Note added: I just noticed something about "inspiring tube sound" on the cover. What's that supposed to be. Intermodular distortion added? I don't think I'm considering this as seriously as I once was.

Yes complement, not a contrast. It oozes Gemütlichkeit.

The sound oozes Gemütlichkeit too, rolled off treble, like old tube amps. Delicious -- I need some apple strudel  NOW!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on May 19, 2022, 07:15:39 AM
Yes complement, not a contrast. It oozes Gemütlichkeit.

The sound oozes Gemütlichkeit too, rolled off treble, like old tube amps. Delicious -- I need some apple strudel  NOW!

Ok, not what I was looking for, but maybe I'd like it nonetheless. :)

amw

Among modern recordings Auryn/Imai (and the Quatuor Sine Nomine set) are the most similar to the Grumiaux Trio +2 recordings, except obviously in modern sound and with more technically secure playing. This is perhaps one reason I don't like them quite as much as some other recordings, since I don't like the Grumiaux Trio +2 cycle at all. I like Auryn somewhat more than Grumiaux, so those who like Grumiaux best of all may like Auryn somewhat less.

Mandryka

I'm just listening now to them doing 516 and this mad thought crossed my mind: it's like Yoyo's 3rd recording of the cello suites. They both take a magnificent pinnacle and turn it into a piece of cake.

Jo498

Quote from: Mandryka on May 19, 2022, 11:50:18 AM
I'm just listening now to them doing 516 and this mad thought crossed my mind: it's like Yoyo's 3rd recording of the cello suites. They both take a magnificent pinnacle and turn it into a piece of cake.

Who is "them"? Grumiaux & amis?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Spotted Horses

Quote from: amw on May 19, 2022, 09:52:43 AM
Among modern recordings Auryn/Imai (and the Quatuor Sine Nomine set) are the most similar to the Grumiaux Trio +2 recordings, except obviously in modern sound and with more technically secure playing. This is perhaps one reason I don't like them quite as much as some other recordings, since I don't like the Grumiaux Trio +2 cycle at all. I like Auryn somewhat more than Grumiaux, so those who like Grumiaux best of all may like Auryn somewhat less.

I listened to some samples of the Auryn, and something struck me. In the finale of the D-major Quintet they seemed to be playing the main theme with the straight chromatic descent. I remember the original LP notes of the Grumiaux recording drawing attention to the fact that this motif had been changed to a chromatic zig-zag figure in the original manuscript and first publication, and that this was just the sort of thing Mozart would do, despite the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe labeling it spurious and restoring the straight chromatic descent. Well, that's one difference between the Grumiaux and the Auryn. I wonder how many recordings use the zig-zag version?

Another odd thing about the Auryn, it seems to be available in two editions. "Inspiring Tube Sound" (two tube microphones and 1950's Telefunken analog tape recorder) and "Real Surround Sound" (six microphones and Digital recording console).  I guess they recorded simultaneously with two different recording rigs.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 20, 2022, 07:02:13 AM
Another odd thing about the Auryn, it seems to be available in two editions. "Inspiring Tube Sound" (two tube microphones and 1950's Telefunken analog tape recorder) and "Real Surround Sound" (six microphones and Digital recording console).  I guess they recorded simultaneously with two different recording rigs.

That is nice to know that they recorded it professionally with state of the art equipment then.  They must realize that most of their audience doesn't drink the hipster analogue cool aid then.