Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498, Anooj and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on June 01, 2022, 04:27:15 AM
I think it was the Schumann (which I haven't heard) that got criticised quite a bit for the sound.

Indeed. It sounds as if it had been recorded in a box of just enough size to accomodate Ashkenazy and the piano, nothing else. Quite possibly the worst sound I've ever heard in a modern recording.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

SonicMan46

Schubert, Franz - Violin Sonatas w/ Ibragimova & Tiberghien - 2 CD set available at BRO for $18 USD - could replace two old recordings that I now own of these works, but a little hesitant because of some comments made in the attached reviews (by Fanfare & AllMusic - other reviewers lauding the performances and recording) - anyone own this set or audition the recording?  Thanks.  Dave :)

Brian

Presto cites the one positive sentence from a negative BBC Music Magazine review. Does anyone know what BBC was complaining about? Or has anyone listened to this disc and has a smarter opinion than the Beeb's?

vers la flamme

Really curious about Ozawa's Mahler. Sampled all three of these recordings earlier and they all sounded excellent.

Curious about this one too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 21, 2022, 10:59:36 AM

Really curious about Ozawa's Mahler. Sampled all three of these recordings earlier and they all sounded excellent.

Ozawa doesn't strike me as much of a Mahlerian. Honestly, he's much better in non-Germanic repertoire, although I do like his recording of Schoenberg's Gurrelieder, but this is as much of a success for his soloists and orchestra as it was for him. I believe French and Russian repertoire plays more to his strengths as a conductor.

Brian

I don't know any of those, but Ozawa's Mahler 1 has several distinctive touches (Blumine and a final coda which he refuses to accelerate) which make it a worthwhile part of the Boston Symphony Big Box on DG. Not sure I'd pay full price for it but since it's in the box I will enjoy it every year or so in regular rotation with other good Mahler 1s.

Sergeant Rock

That M8 is Jens' favorite, and I come really close to agreeing with him (Chailly is still my number one). And as I said in the Mania thread, Ormandy (and Levine) are unbeatable in the closing pages of the Tenth
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2022, 12:42:00 PM
Ozawa doesn't strike me as much of a Mahlerian.

That just means you haven't heard his Mahler!

DavidW

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 21, 2022, 10:59:36 AM

This is one of the best Mahler 2's on record (as I posted on the Mahler thread).  I haven't heard the other one.  I learned about this sleeper from the Mahler forum which I used to be an active poster on way back in the day.

vers la flamme

I ordered the Saito Kinen. Can't wait to spend some time with the music. If I'm being honest I still want the Boston one too. But I think I'll be smart and hold off for now (I might buy that Ozawa/Boston 8th though because it sounds amazing!)

Looking at this one now:

Really loving Solti's Mahler 2nd with the LSO, and these two I would imagine are from around the same time.

I don't think I need another Mahler cycle at the moment, but it can be had quite cheaply used...

MickeyBoy

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 21, 2022, 01:41:46 PM
That M8 is Jens' favorite, and I come really close to agreeing with him (Chailly is still my number one). And as I said in the Mania thread, Ormandy (and Levine) are unbeatable in the closing pages of the Tenth
Many decades ago I heard Ozawa's Eighth under the tent at Tanglewood. All I remember is that I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the weird sound. And I am not a devotee of Mahler (but am of Faust.)
...the sound of a low whisper

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 23, 2022, 08:00:29 AM
I ordered the Saito Kinen. Can't wait to spend some time with the music. If I'm being honest I still want the Boston one too. But I think I'll be smart and hold off for now (I might buy that Ozawa/Boston 8th though because it sounds amazing!)

Looking at this one now:

Really loving Solti's Mahler 2nd with the LSO, and these two I would imagine are from around the same time.

There's also a recording of the 9th with the LSO which is well regarded.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

staxomega

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 23, 2022, 08:00:29 AM

Looking at this one now:

I don't think I need another Mahler cycle at the moment, but it can be had quite cheaply used...

Just IMO since it sounds like you are still early on in your Mahler journey, Solti is one of the very last I'd come to. I just don't find they communicate anything of substance.

DavidW

Quote from: hvbias on July 24, 2022, 04:40:25 AM
Just IMO since it sounds like you are still early on in your Mahler journey, Solti is one of the very last I'd come to. I just don't find they communicate anything of substance.

I'm kind of surprised at the love Solti receives on this forum.  He is mostly loud, vulgar and boring.  The only exception for me is the Mahler 1.

Todd

All can be purchased, but all can also be streamed.  Hmm.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Quote from: hvbias on July 24, 2022, 04:40:25 AM

I wouldn't say I'm that early on with Mahler; he's been one of my favorite composers for about three years. I just go in and out of phases of complete obsession where his music is all I want to hear  ;D but yes, I'll probably hold off on the Solti box. I really want to get the Kubelík cycle, but I can't find it cheaply right now.

Jo498

There is a "special edition"  ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07G2PK4RH  that seems cheaper than the older Kubelik DG boxes now (about 40 EUR)

Probably too much of a hazzle but I think all of the DG Kubelik except #3 and #7? was available separately in one or another cheapo DG series: Resonance/Musikfest, Galleria, eloquence, virtuoso..
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Or this one:

Worth hearing?

Madiel

Current consideration is whether to buy these:

or this:

If anyone has information on the presentation of the Triad version / differences in presentation, it would be appreciated. I'm pretty certain I'd get the same music in each case.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!