Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

The common GMG approach is to get them all.

Some of us have our own truth, and there are signs that Anooj thinks like I do, seeking to fill repertoire gaps in efficient ways.

Having said that, I wouldn't typically try to hit several genres in the one box. It's interesting that it's even possible.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

vs

I'm sure some of the more HIPper people will say "neither", but I'm curious about the respective merits of these two recordings.

Jo498

I can't help but am interested in the same question. As a teenager in the late 1980s I dubbed a bit of a Richter recording from the radio (there was always a St. Matthew in a classical/culture channel on or around Good Friday) and while I suspect that it was the more recent one, I don't know (I am not even entirely sure it was Richter, but quite certain.)
This had one of the most magical (slow) interpretations of the brief choral passage "Wahrlich, dieser ist Gottes Sohn gewesen" (Truly, this one was the son of God), it's the main thing I remember about it.

My impression is that the older (ca. 1960) recording is generally more highly regarded (it was re-issued more frequently, I think). On paper the later looks more attractive to me for the solo singers (with the exception of Fi-Di probably being in fresher voice 1960). Of course, Schreier has so many recordings the piece, this might not be his most commendable one whereas if one wants Haefliger's evangelist, there is not much choice (I believe).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 28, 2022, 12:15:16 PM

vs

I'm sure some of the more HIPper people will say "neither", but I'm curious about the respective merits of these two recordings.

I think Uri Golomb discussed it in his doctorate - anyway you can easily download it here and see

https://www.academia.edu/261783/Expression_and_Meaning_In_Bach_Performance_and_Reception_An_Examination_of_the_B_Minor_Mass_on_Record

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2022, 12:09:40 AM
I think Uri Golomb discussed it in his doctorate - anyway you can easily download it here and see

https://www.academia.edu/261783/Expression_and_Meaning_In_Bach_Performance_and_Reception_An_Examination_of_the_B_Minor_Mass_on_Record

This is why we love you, Mandryka, you have stuff like this on standby ;D An interesting read so far.

Edit: I didn't know Vaughan Williams recorded Bach's Mass.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 29, 2022, 02:47:17 AM
This is why we love you, Mandryka, you have stuff like this on standby ;D An interesting read so far.

Edit: I didn't know Vaughan Williams recorded Bach's Mass.

I saw it last night, John Butt conducting. Let me know if you want the concert recording.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 30, 2022, 03:51:15 AM
I saw it last night, John Butt conducting. Let me know if you want the concert recording.

But(t) did he substitute for Egarr?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Arkivmusic and Amazon both have this on sale for the weekend.

I remember Todd not being keen on the Beethoven, and it has two CDs full of child prodigy bonbons--but the interest for me lies in a concerto by Dello Joio and a suite of excerpts from an opera by Kirschner (in which Hollander btw plays the celesta, not the piano) that are otherwise unknown to me.
Anyone have any opinions?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

I have the Khachaturian and Bloch disc in the Andre Previn RCA big box and it's a load of fun, clearly the best Bloch scherzo recording in my opinion.

I listened to one of the Prokofiev recordings and liked it a lot but remember no details beyond that (even which concerto it was).

Todd

Quote from: JBS on September 02, 2022, 01:44:35 PMI remember Todd not being keen on the Beethoven

I've never listened to Mr Hollander.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on September 02, 2022, 03:45:19 PM
I've never listened to Mr Hollander.

It wasn't you? Then will whoever it was please speak up?

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2022, 02:57:22 PM
I have the Khachaturian and Bloch disc in the Andre Previn RCA big box and it's a load of fun, clearly the best Bloch scherzo recording in my opinion.

I listened to one of the Prokofiev recordings and liked it a lot but remember no details beyond that (even which concerto it was).

Oh dear...I was hoping someone would disparage it and thereby save me a bit of money. >:D

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

These two available at a local secondhand store:

Jo498

I know/have about 7 discs of the warner and 4 or 5 of the dhm recordings.
They are all very good to excellent although some might have been superseded by more recent recordings of the last 20 years or so. The dhm has a few discs with earlyish 1970s? HIP efforts (Collegium Aureum). The best of the latter box are the discs with Staier that were also in a box dedicated to Staier, I think.
Overall the warner box might be a better deal as it gives you a few important groups of works complete whereas the dhm is more anthologies.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Iota

Quote from: JBS on September 02, 2022, 01:44:35 PM
Arkivmusic and Amazon both have this on sale for the weekend.

I remember Todd not being keen on the Beethoven, and it has two CDs full of child prodigy bonbons--but the interest for me lies in a concerto by Dello Joio and a suite of excerpts from an opera by Kirschner (in which Hollander btw plays the celesta, not the piano) that are otherwise unknown to me.
Anyone have any opinions?

Fwiw I liked his LVB Tempest Sonata very much indeed, something very direct/unfussy about it that raised to a high level for me. Same for the Schumann Arabeske and Brahms Intermezzo in the same recital disc. I also heard another mixed recital disc including some Chopin warhorses, that I found good too. This all from memory and it's been a while since I heard them, just for a bit of context.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Jo498 on September 03, 2022, 12:11:55 AM
I know/have about 7 discs of the warner and 4 or 5 of the dhm recordings.
They are all very good to excellent although some might have been superseded by more recent recordings of the last 20 years or so. The dhm has a few discs with earlyish 1970s? HIP efforts (Collegium Aureum). The best of the latter box are the discs with Staier that were also in a box dedicated to Staier, I think.
Overall the warner box might be a better deal as it gives you a few important groups of works complete whereas the dhm is more anthologies.

Thanks for that. Alas I went back to get it today but of course it had gone.

Mandryka

https://townhallrecords.com/item.php?item_id=92

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the K595 with Artur Schnabel and Leon Barzin?

(Actually, no, too expensive to ship to the UK even if it's an interesting performance!)

vers la flamme

or

Any thoughts on one vs the other?

Brian

That is easy as they are very different so you can decide based on your own preference. The Muti cycle features broader tempos - not slow, but not fast, either - while Markevitch is hungry, driven, very Russian. Both orchestras are spectacular. As befits the conducting styles, the recording styles are different too - Markevitch more "hot," the Muti/EMI sound (as I am remembering it, it has been a few years) more spacious, diffuse, concert hall-like.

Personally I think Markevitch's Fourth is one of the most amazing recordings of anything ever and in general prefer his more exciting approach. But if you like a performance that luxuriates a little more ("relaxes" is not the right word, Muti is still emotional), that has a little more operatic passion rather than Russian drive, then you will be happy with Muti.