Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brian on September 08, 2022, 05:12:17 PM
That is easy as they are very different so you can decide based on your own preference. The Muti cycle features broader tempos - not slow, but not fast, either - while Markevitch is hungry, driven, very Russian. Both orchestras are spectacular. As befits the conducting styles, the recording styles are different too - Markevitch more "hot," the Muti/EMI sound (as I am remembering it, it has been a few years) more spacious, diffuse, concert hall-like.

Personally I think Markevitch's Fourth is one of the most amazing recordings of anything ever and in general prefer his more exciting approach. But if you like a performance that luxuriates a little more ("relaxes" is not the right word, Muti is still emotional), that has a little more operatic passion rather than Russian drive, then you will be happy with Muti.

Hey, you're not making this any easier—from those descriptions they both sound fantastic. The only solution is both  ;D But I think for now (after sampling a bit of each earlier today) Markevitch/LSO will probably be first up.

Jo498

We discussed Markevitch and other Tchaikovsky recordings a few weeks ago in a thread on the composer or his symphonies, see, if you can find these remarks. I think the sound is slightly better on Muti, both are brilliant, often very fast and I disagree that Markevitch is especially "Russian".
The orchestra obviously isn't, so the sound is very different from Soviet era Russian orchestras and Markevitch came to France as a toddler, later he lived mostly in Italy, he was Russian/Ukrainian only by birth.

Roughly, both are much closer in approach to Toscanini (driven, but straightforward) than to Golovanov (unabashedly subjective/romantic), or even the more famous later Soviet era conductors like Mravinsky or Rozhdestvensky.

If you care about "Manfred", look around for different boxes/packages because both Muti and Markevitch recorded that one as well but it is not included in all issues.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vers la flamme

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2022, 02:43:10 AM
Yet another pointless publicity stunt...  ;D

I think you're too hasty to jump to that conclusion. Unless you've heard it.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2022, 02:50:30 AM
I think you're too hasty to jump to that conclusion. Unless you've heard it.

What is the point of transcribing Scriabin's lush orchesstral score for seven pianos, played one at a time and overdubbed, other than showing it can be done?

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2022, 04:05:41 AM
What is the point of transcribing Scriabin's lush orchesstral score for seven pianos, played one at a time and overdubbed, other than showing it can be done?

It might sound good?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Any opinions on Lubimov's Mozart Sonata set?

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 12, 2022, 04:14:49 AM
It might sound good?

There are people who really like the sound of a modern piano, when it's played in a colourful way. And I like a certain voluptuous sensuality in Okashiro's style.

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 12, 2022, 04:15:51 AM
Any opinions on Lubimov's Mozart Sonata set?

Yes, I like it very much. But I think it's divisive, I think some people use strong negative words about it.

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on October 12, 2022, 04:19:25 AM
Certainly not better than the original.

Why not? I mean, why shouldn't it just sound different. Like Bach's Vivaldi.

Anyway to some extent this is a bit academic because it's very expensive to import in the UK.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2022, 08:39:14 AM
Why not? I mean, why shouldn't it just sound different. Like Bach's Vivaldi.

Exactly. Actually I'm not enthusiastic about the overdubbing. I'd like to see seven pianos on stage. :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on October 11, 2022, 12:32:27 PM

Looks very interesting while I am not a fan of overdubbing in general. I like one of the Scriabin recordings by her, and it seems that good musicians like Ryuichi Sakamoto highly evaluate her. Fyi, the pics of overdubbing are below:

https://www.chateaumusicllc.com/english/the-overdub-process/

Mandryka

There is a precedent for seven pianos in fact, Mathias Spahlinger's Farben der Frühe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmlw_Z8LZwU&ab_channel=MUSIC%3F

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2022, 09:23:44 AMThere is a precedent for seven pianos in fact

Why should that matter?  Classical music needs more artists to take unprecedented actions.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2022, 09:23:44 AM
There is a precedent for seven pianos in fact, Mathias Spahlinger's Farben der Frühe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmlw_Z8LZwU&ab_channel=MUSIC%3F

Which is originally written for seven pianos, I presume.

Though unrecorded, there is also a precedent for 14 pianos, during Henri Herz's American tour.  ;)

SimonNZ

The secondhand store has just got in what looks like a complete collection of the Naive Vivaldi operas.

Are there any in this series that are considered by consensus to be absolutely essential? Or any two or three that anyone here particularly loves?

Iwas also considering this set:

Jo498

Is it the whole Naive collection or only operas?
I have not heard any of the operas but the ones I have heard of concerti or sacred music are all very good. I'd recommend the one with the cover shown in the upper left corner Stabat Mater and the one 3 to the right, 1 down Vespri solenni... (2 disc set)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal