Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Lilas Pastia

I ordered the Kempe Munich Philharmonic set of the 4 Brahms symphonies and Bruckner 4 and 5. Why these particular works should be paired together is rather mysterious. I think they make odd bedfellows. In any case, I look forward to hearing each and every one of these performances, esp. after having read a strong endorsement of Kempe's Brahms 4th. And of course I can't possibly be without his Bruckner  0:). I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get it without delay or probleems. I always seem to encounter problems with my Amazon orders. :P

Que

Quote from: Harry on December 14, 2008, 11:53:28 PM
I had this box briefly, loaned to me by a friend, who likes Nevel's approach. I don't! But if you are partial to him, this is a fantastic set to have.

What are your reservations on him, Harry? :)

Quote from: premont on December 15, 2008, 05:34:07 AM
Thanks dear Harry, this set will become a sure part of my next CD order from JPC.

Hey, I mentioned it first! ;D ;)
Have you had positive experiences with recordngs by Erik van Nevel? :)

I might buy, the Dutch association of Classical Music retailers have it on offer for €30!  8)

Q

PS I've moved the ongoing Scarlatti discussion to the Scarlatti thread.

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 15, 2008, 10:18:30 PM
What are your reservations on him, Harry? :)

His way to let the choir articulate, the treatment of individual voices which he tries to blend in a uniform sound that is too fuzzy and unclear to me. The tendency to make lines longer as necessary, which is influencing the tempi and carries a annoying drawl.

Daverz

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 15, 2008, 04:25:59 PM
I ordered the Kempe Munich Philharmonic set of the 4 Brahms symphonies and Bruckner 4 and 5. Why these particular works should be paired together is rather mysterious. I think they make odd bedfellows. In any case, I look forward to hearing each and every one of these performances, esp. after having read a strong endorsement of Kempe's Brahms 4th. And of course I can't possibly be without his Bruckner  0:). I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get it without delay or probleems. I always seem to encounter problems with my Amazon orders. :P

He certainly recorded these symphonies a lot.  I have a Kempe Brahms set on the Pantheon label that has 1-3 with the BPO and 4 with the RPO, all sourced from EMI. 

Que

Quote from: Harry on December 15, 2008, 11:22:47 PM
His way to let the choir articulate, the treatment of individual voices which he tries to blend in a uniform sound that is too fuzzy and unclear to me. The tendency to make lines longer as necessary, which is influencing the tempi and carries a annoying drawl.

Thanks for your comments, Harry. :)

Q

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Daverz on December 16, 2008, 06:21:35 AM
He certainly recorded these symphonies a lot.  I have a Kempe Brahms set on the Pantheon label that has 1-3 with the BPO and 4 with the RPO, all sourced from EMI. 

The RPO 4th is probably one of those fine Readers Digest discs that were produced in the mid to late sixties (such as Barbirolli's classic RPO Sibelius 2). The EMI BPO have come and gone, but I was not aware of the Munich Phil recordings - probably of early seventies provenance, like the Beethoven symphonies set. Be that as it may, I've come to regard a Kempe disc as a guarantee of integrity and musicality.

Daverz

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 16, 2008, 06:56:27 PM
The RPO 4th is probably one of those fine Readers Digest discs

That would be the great Reiner/RPO recording.  I doubt Reader's Digest wanted 2 recordings of the Brahms 4th.

Kempe took over the RPO when Beecham died.  The Brahms 4 with the RPO and the Brahms cycle with the BPO are now on Testament.

Lilas Pastia

Oh, that's possible. But I seem to recall some Kempe recordings from those Readers Digest archives. They resurfaced on lp under the label Quintessence. But my memory could be playing tricks here. I have no source to check it other than the ol' unreliable (yours truly :)).

jwinter

I've had the Kempe Munich Brahms for a while now, and I think you'll be very pleased.  I seem to recall somebody else on the forum singing their praises several months ago as well... Sidoze, I think?

Mine are not coupled with Bruckner, BTW:
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Daverz

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 17, 2008, 06:24:44 AM
Oh, that's possible. But I seem to recall some Kempe recordings from those Readers Digest archives.

The Dvorak 9th, Pines of Rome, and Don Juan, according to this discography:

http://fischer.hosting.paran.com/music/Kempe/discography-kempe.htm

I think I may have the Quintessence Lp with the Pines.

Wanderer

Quote from: jwinter on December 17, 2008, 07:06:41 AM
I've had the Kempe Munich Brahms for a while now, and I think you'll be very pleased.  I seem to recall somebody else on the forum singing their praises several months ago as well... Sidoze, I think?

Mine are not coupled with Bruckner, BTW:

Are they the same as this?

]

Que

Lethevich

Quote from: Que on December 20, 2008, 02:43:40 AM

MusicWeb review

IIRC Vandermolen had some good things to say about this, specifically the works he performs. I am kind of interested in it too, if the sound is reasonable and/or consistent.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Daverz on December 17, 2008, 07:46:04 PM

You got it - I was mixed up with the RPO connection (a great many of those Readers Digest productions used London orchestras, mostly the RPO).

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the UPS guy to drop the Brahms-Bruckner set on my doormat!

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on December 17, 2008, 07:46:04 PM

I wonder if this is the same Pines:

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/search.php?row=0&brocode=139746

Daverz

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 20, 2008, 04:02:39 PM
Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the UPS guy to drop the [Kempe] Brahms-Bruckner set on my doormat!

I just got the Artone set and am listening to the Bruckner 5.  Sounds maybe a little hard and dry.  I'll have to compare against my Odyssey Lps.  The Lps have compressed dynamics, of course, which makes for nice "evening Bruckner."

It does say on the CD "Licensed from FonoTeam," which matches with the Odyssey Lps which say "a FonoTeam product", so it does appear to be legit.

[Fast forward] OK, I definitely prefer the Lps.  Warm and spacious.  Oh, dear, I'm turning into one of those vinyl fanatics.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Daverz on December 20, 2008, 04:48:40 PM
I wonder if this is the same Pines:

http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/search.php?row=0&brocode=139746

I think so. I doubt very much there would have been two Pines by this same conductor/orchestra combo. Also, I notice it's reissued by Disky, who already licensed a few of those Readers Digest discs (most famously the Barbirolli Sibelius 2).

Daverz

I like Karl Leister in the Clarinet Trio on DG.  Has anyone heard these Nimbus recordings that Brilliant Classics have issued?