Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Quote from: Brahmsian on November 16, 2009, 10:53:40 AM
Whadda ya mean....who's on first?  ;D

I don't know. George says he doesn't own something, then he does. Or maybe he sold it. It's all rather cryptic.   ;)

Brian

Prokofiev and Weller

I was considering Jarvi's cycle on Chandos, but listening via Naxos Music Library I can tell that the fabled Chandos sound is at its most distant, and most echoey, in those discs.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2009, 01:24:40 PM
Prokofiev and Weller

I was considering Jarvi's cycle on Chandos, but listening via Naxos Music Library I can tell that the fabled Chandos sound is at its most distant, and most echoey, in those discs.

The sound is a bit echoey, but not distant, but vibrant and rather direct. That where the days of Chandos, when the enginners let the venue speak for it self. Do not be fooled by what you have heard online. And if you really dislike them, you can send them to me, and I find something in my collection to send you.

Coopmv

Prokofiev and Weller

I am lucky in that I have never gotten any Chandos CD that is a dud ...

SonicMan46

Prokofiev and Weller

Brian - I have two sets of these symphonies, the Jarvi & Kitajenko (latter added above) - I'd have to agree w/ Harry on the Jarvi (the audio snippets likely do not reflect the recordings - these are good!); however, I prefer the Kitajenko, which is a knockout project (and not that expensive) - rave reviews by Scott M. HERE on Amazon.  In fact, I just ordered Kitajenko's Shosty symphony box influenced by these Prokofiev recordings - Dave  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on November 16, 2009, 01:59:02 PM
Brian - I have two sets of these symphonies, the Jarvi & Kitajenko (latter added above) - I'd have to agree w/ Harry on the Jarvi (the audio snippets likely do not reflect the recordings - these are good!); however, I prefer the Kitajenko, which is a knockout project (and not that expensive) - rave reviews by Scott M. HERE on Amazon.  In fact, I just ordered Kitajenko's Shosty symphony box influenced by these Prokofiev recordings - Dave  :)

To me, Prokofiev and Mahler fall into the same category - they are tough nuts to crack.  Not sure if Bill (aka Bogey) has the same problem with Prokofiev as I do ...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 04:15:11 PM
To me, Prokofiev and Mahler fall into the same category - they are tough nuts to crack.  Not sure if Bill (aka Bogey) has the same problem with Prokofiev as I do ...

Now, Stuart, this is a 'silly' comparison, i.e. Mahler vs. Prokofiev; YES, both are different vs. earlier Romantic (or even Classical) composers, but different birth dates, different countries, and different personal experiences - must be considered separately relative to their own 'personal & cultural' influences - if you don't like either of these composers, then fine!  But, if one wants to explore their symphonic output, my first suggestion is to not compare the two - Dave  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on November 16, 2009, 04:28:24 PM
Now, Stuart, this is a 'silly' comparison, i.e. Mahler vs. Prokofiev; YES, both are different vs. earlier Romantic (or even Classical) composers, but different birth dates, different countries, and different personal experiences - must be considered separately relative to their own 'personal & cultural' influences - if you don't like either of these composers, then fine!  But, if one wants to explore their symphonic output, my first suggestion is to not compare the two - Dave  :)

Dave,

I am a melody guy.  Any composers that do not have works that have memorable melodies will have a hard-sell job.  As far as I am concerned, Mahler and Profokiev generally come up short in this department ...

springrite

Quote from: jlaurson on November 16, 2009, 08:28:56 AM
Hmm... replace Arrau LPs with CDs from China or wait until re-issued on Decca... ?

You wouldn't have a link to a trustworthy source, do you?

No, I saw them in a store I frequent.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Coopmv

Quote from: springrite on November 16, 2009, 04:59:09 PM
No, I saw them in a store I frequent.

Paul, just out of curiosity, do the pirates in China even make fake copies of classical music? 

springrite

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 05:04:12 PM
Paul, just out of curiosity, do the pirates in China even make fake copies of classical music?

Mostly on the bestsellers like Vienna New Year's Eve concert. Not a big enough market to sell volume on the works that you and I may be interested.

Coopmv

Quote from: springrite on November 16, 2009, 05:08:24 PM
Mostly on the bestsellers like Vienna New Year's Eve concert. Not a big enough market to sell volume on the works that you and I may be interested.
'

So counterfeits are the least of your concern.  You are more concerned about corrupt custom officials who decide to keep your CD's for personal enjoyment ...

Brian

Quote from: springrite on November 16, 2009, 05:08:24 PM

Indeed! My father once returned from China with a pirated Vienna New Year's DVD. But the pirates had bungled the job - there was a picture, but no audio!

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2009, 05:36:11 PM
Indeed! My father once returned from China with a pirated Vienna New Year's DVD. But the pirates had bungled the job - there was a picture, but no audio!
'

Do enjoy the 21st century silence movie ...    ;D

springrite

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 05:35:28 PM
'

So counterfeits are the least of your concern.  You are more concerned about corrupt custom officials who decide to keep your CD's for personal enjoyment ...

Contrary to certain propaganda, that kind of things do NOT happend AT ALL.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: springrite on November 16, 2009, 05:49:00 PM
We're probably lucky most customs agents all over the world aren't classical fans! ;D
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

MN Dave

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 04:58:39 PM
Dave,

I am a melody guy.  Any composers that do not have works that have memorable melodies will have a hard-sell job.  As far as I am concerned, Mahler and Profokiev generally come up short in this department ...

Believe it or not, Prokofiev can be quite the melody guy.

springrite

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 16, 2009, 05:59:57 PM
We're probably lucky most customs agents all over the world aren't classical fans! ;D

Yes, that is probably right. On the other hand, the belief that in non-western world there ar no rules and public servants are nothing but a bunch of hooligans are the things that feeds the kind of bias and even hatred that leads to ...

Well, this is not the diner so I will stop.  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: springrite on November 16, 2009, 05:49:00 PM

Perhaps the custom officials generally do not care for classical music, particularly western classical music?

springrite

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 06:38:27 PM
Perhaps the custom officials generally do not care for classical music, particularly western classical music?

See my post above.