Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: MN Dave on November 16, 2009, 06:02:05 PM
Believe it or not, Prokofiev can be quite the melody guy.

Perhaps I just have not experienced some Prokofiev's melody that I really like.  Who can dislike such memorable pieces such as T5 and Rach PC2?

Coopmv

These are the next 2 St Matthew Passions I will be acquiring.  The one by Peter Schreier is on its way to my house ...

The version by Wilhelm Furtwangler is also on my shopping list.  All of the above should be part of my St Matthew Passion collection before the end of this year ...

Coopmv

Quote from: springrite on November 16, 2009, 06:07:43 PM
Yes, that is probably right. On the other hand, the belief that in non-western world there ar no rules and public servants are nothing but a bunch of hooligans are the things that feeds the kind of bias and even hatred that leads to ...

Well, this is not the diner so I will stop.  ;D

I don't think anyone can categorically make such assumptions, but corruption does exist in many third-world countries.  The most corruption-free countries are the Nordic countries ...

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 06:42:55 PM
Perhaps I just have not experienced some Prokofiev's melody that I really like.  Who can dislike such memorable pieces such as T5 and Rach PC2?

You're starting to let your bias show, Coop. Prokofiev need not be compared to anyone else. Prokofiev is his own man and on his own terms smashes puny bugs like Tchaik and Rach with minimum effort.

Oh: ;)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Coopmv

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 16, 2009, 07:39:13 PM
You're starting to let your bias show, Coop. Prokofiev need not be compared to anyone else. Prokofiev is his own man and on his own terms smashes puny bugs like Tchaik and Rach with minimum effort.

Oh: ;)

Not sure if I agree with your statement.  In terms of accomplishments, Tchaikovsky should beat Prokofiev anytime.  This is not just my conclusion ...

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 07:43:32 PM
Not sure if I agree with your statement.  In terms of accomplishments, Tchaikovsky should beat Prokofiev anytime.

Well, Coop, by your own admission you know little Prokofiev. So you really don't have much of a leg to stand on as far as making judgments like this.

Plus you really deflate your own argument with the qualifier "should". It's a clear sign of wavering.

QuoteThis is not just my conclusion ...

Falling back on "consensus" isn't fair when you know little about the opposition. Equal time and consideration is the only way to truly judge a candidate. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 07:10:12 PM
I don't think anyone can categorically make such assumptions, but corruption does exist in many third-world countries.  The most corruption-free countries are the Nordic countries ...
For anybody wishing to test this statement, I'm open to offers.

Franco

QuoteI am a melody guy.  ...  As far as I am concerned, Mahler and Profokiev generally come up short in this department

Prokofiev is generally considered one of the great melodists; possessing a natural ability to generate endless and beautiful melodies seemingly effortlessly.

Having said that, he is not someone I listen to often.

;)

MN Dave

Coop, don't you own any Prokofiev suites? If not, start there.

The new erato

Quote from: Franco on November 17, 2009, 05:53:26 AM
Prokofiev is generally considered one of the great melodists; possessing a natural ability to generate endless and beautiful melodies seemingly effortlessly.

I agree.

But his melodies also generates enough excitement and grit that I listen to it quite a lot, vs Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky who are quite peripheral to me.

Lethevich

Available in the UK for around £10 atm - is it a pirate, if so, is the SQ intolerable?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MN Dave

Quote from: Lethe on November 17, 2009, 08:54:49 AM

Available in the UK for around £10 atm - is it a pirate, if so, is the SQ intolerable?

I don't think Documents is a pirate label, however sound is variable from one product to another.

Brian

Endellion Beethoven.

I ordered my first set of Beethoven SQs at the start of October from MDT: the Alban Berg Quartett on EMI. But it's been out of stock for six weeks, and although I don't want to cancel, I am thinking of ordering this Endellion set too. Has anybody heard it?

Novi

Quote from: Coopmv on November 16, 2009, 07:10:12 PM

No, it's Kiwiland! :D

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2009/cpi_2009_table
http://media.transparency.org/imaps/cpi2009/

Back on topic:

I'm looking for Gesualdo recommendations. I only have his Tenebrae Responsoria (Hilliard Ensemble) and want to hear some of the madrigals. Any suggestions for whichever book? There doesn't seem to be that much out there. ???
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Coopmv

Quote from: Amvend on November 17, 2009, 05:55:53 AM
Coop, don't you own any Prokofiev suites? If not, start there.

Here are my very modest collection of Prokofiev's CD's.  I have not checked my LP shelves ...

Romeo & Juliet, Sym. No. 1   Chicago Sym./Solti
Peter and the Wolf   BBC Phil./Tirtekuer/Attenborough
Peter and the Wolf   Royal Phil. Orch/Previn
Romeo & Juliet   London Symphony Orch/Previn
7 Symp/Lieutenant Kije   Berlin Phil./Ozawa

Coopmv

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 16, 2009, 08:01:56 PM
Well, Coop, by your own admission you know little Prokofiev. So you really don't have much of a leg to stand on as far as making judgments like this.

Plus you really deflate your own argument with the qualifier "should". It's a clear sign of wavering.

Falling back on "consensus" isn't fair when you know little about the opposition. Equal time and consideration is the only way to truly judge a candidate. :)

Look, I will never claim I know much about Prokofiev's works.  I am primarily into baroque and early music.  I will be surprised if I will ever have more than 20 CD's/LP's of his works on my shelves.  We all have our preference ...

Expresso

I only have this:
http://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Elektra-Germany-J/dp/B000E3LJBM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258577329&sr=8-2

It's Elektra conducted by Mitropoulos and it's a part of this 10 cd set. It's excellent and the sound quality is monophonic (1950) but good.

George

Looks more like a politician than a pirate.

;)

Drasko

Quote from: Novi on November 17, 2009, 04:08:38 PM
I'm looking for Gesualdo recommendations. I only have his Tenebrae Responsoria (Hilliard Ensemble) and want to hear some of the madrigals. Any suggestions for whichever book? There doesn't seem to be that much out there. ???

You could start with this:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//OP30486.htm

and then if that goes down well you could get Books IV & V by La Venexiana on Glossa.
Book VI was long unavailable till recent recording by Kassiopeia Quintet, they have recorded the whole cycle but I haven't heard any of it, yet, since probably I will be getting their Book VI because who knows when, or if La Venexiana will record it (there were some announcements, nothing certain).

I'm much less familiar with Books I-III, but CPO set containing all three is convenient and has good reviews as I recall.

Harry

I would like to invite some comments on this set, and please if you feel there is a better alternative, let me know.
This one is on my list, and if I get some positive comments will order it. I do not have a HIP cycle yet, of Mozarts Symphonies.