Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

For what it's worth, my favorite Winterreise is Fassbaender.

[asin]B000005GIZ[/asin]

although I recently ordered this one for the princely sum of four bucks.

[asin]B000001GQE[/asin]

Also the Christine Schafer.

DavidW

This is the Winterreise that I've lost:

[asin]B002CRJWVC[/asin]

No wait I think I know why I lost it, it was a rip someone sent me! :D

DavidW

Quote from: Philoctetes on June 01, 2011, 04:35:20 PM
Except when wrong.

Well not for DFD, I did go listening to some stuff on youtube and some of the old DFD stuff on there has distortion and clicks.  Still what I've heard... DFD is excellent in Schubert and dynamite in Mahler! :)

Sadko

Quote from: DavidW on May 31, 2011, 04:28:05 PM
Considering:

[asin]B003CF0XDE[/asin]

Comments?

I would recommend this set strongly (I own the earlier single disc editions). Of course Fischer-Dieskau isn't to everybody's taste, but he is certainly worth knowing, and for me he is in the top range of the recordings I like. But it took me some time also to appreciate him, when I was in my twenties I didn't like the character of his voice.

An interesting different view on his voice on can get from earlier stages of his career. I have a live recording of a Schumann recital at Salzburg (29. July 1959) (an Orfeo disc) where his voice is really soft and beautiful, without the slight hardness he got later.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sadko on June 05, 2011, 02:27:49 PM
I would recommend this set strongly (I own the earlier single disc editions). Of course Fischer-Dieskau isn't to everybody's taste, but he is certainly worth knowing, and for me he is in the top range of the recordings I like. But it took me some time also to appreciate him, when I was in my twenties I didn't like the character of his voice.

An interesting different view on his voice on can get from earlier stages of his career. I have a live recording of a Schumann recital at Salzburg (29. July 1959) (an Orfeo disc) where his voice is really soft and beautiful, without the slight hardness he got later.

He's already bought it. :D

Sadko

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2011, 02:53:46 PM
He's already bought it. :D

:)

Recently I have less time to keep with the posts, my garden demands lots of attention.

DavidW

Quote from: Sadko on June 05, 2011, 03:03:43 PM
:)

Recently I have less time to keep with the posts, my garden demands lots of attention.

It's alright I appreciate your post.  And it will probably help somebody else in the future. :)

Scarpia

Just realized I have nothing by Sessions.  Where should I start?

Mirror Image

I'm going to take at least a few months off (at least until September or October) from purchasing any more recordings. I have 13 CDs on the way right now and I haven't even had sufficient time to absorb all the ones I bought before those. It's time to take a break and listen to the music and take in all of these different sound-worlds.

Daverz

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 06, 2011, 04:19:43 PM
Just realized I have nothing by Sessions.  Where should I start?

My introduction to his music was the brilliant Symphony No. 3 on an RCA Lp, now on a CRI CD:

[asin]B000005TU1[/asin]

The piano sonatas are a good recommendation, and for chamber music perhaps the String Quintet:

[asin]B000099SZB[/asin]

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2011, 05:44:35 PM
I'm going to take at least a few months off (at least until September or October) from purchasing any more recordings. I have 13 CDs on the way right now and I haven't even had sufficient time to absorb all the ones I bought before those. It's time to take a break and listen to the music and take in all of these different sound-worlds.
Good luck with your resolve. I just recently was saying to myself after some succesfull listening sessions that if I only were to quit buying for the next 6-8 months I might actually succeed in getting some order in the mess that currently is my ingoing listening pile. Your example will be a towering symbol of what is possible when I totally fail in doing this.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on June 06, 2011, 08:24:33 PM
Good luck with your resolve. I just recently was saying to myself after some succesfull listening sessions that if I only were to quit buying for the next 6-8 months I might actually succeed in getting some order in the mess that currently is my ingoing listening pile. Your example will be a towering symbol of what is possible when I totally fail in doing this.

It will be difficult, because there are so many tempting recordings coming out in the next few months, but I vow not to buy another one until September. Hopefully, I can fulfill this promise.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2011, 08:50:25 PM
It will be difficult, because there are so many tempting recordings coming out in the next few months, but I vow not to buy another one until September. Hopefully, I can fulfill this promise.

You are an Adam in a garden full of Eves, snakes and apples  >:D

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on June 06, 2011, 10:02:24 PM
You are an Adam in a garden full of Eves, snakes and apples  >:D

Yes, I must resist, but if Eve looks like Kate Beckinsale, I'll have to give in. ;)

eyeresist

No one here looks remotely like Kate Beckinsale - you're safe.

I wonder why the story of Adam and Eve hasn't yielded any classic operas?

Oh yes, the nudity.

Fair enough.

Wanderer

Quote from: eyeresist on June 06, 2011, 10:12:36 PM
I wonder why the story of Adam and Eve hasn't yielded any classic operas?

Although the saucy plot isn't about Adam and Eve, there're both present in Rudi Stephan's Die ersten Menschen.

jlaurson

Quote from: Wanderer on June 07, 2011, 12:35:30 AM
Although the saucy plot isn't about Adam and Eve, there're both present in Rudi Stephan's Die ersten Menschen.

...which incidentally is a terrific piece of music: http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=233

Wanderer

Quote from: jlaurson on June 07, 2011, 04:29:20 AM
...which incidentally is a terrific piece of music: http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=233

Most certainly, the Mikko Franck recording in my view being the better of the existing two (although the CPO is not bad at all), most notable in the luxurious and passionate contribution of the French orchestra.

kishnevi

Prompted by another sale at Arkiv, subject to price comparisons elsewhere:
Box sets of Brautigam's complete solo piano works for Haydn and for Mozart.  Are they both worthwhile? And if, for budget reasons, I need to choose between the two of them, which would you suggest I choose?

Que

Quote from: kishnevi on June 07, 2011, 05:13:26 PM
Prompted by another sale at Arkiv, subject to price comparisons elsewhere:
Box sets of Brautigam's complete solo piano works for Haydn and for Mozart.  Are they both worthwhile? And if, for budget reasons, I need to choose between the two of them, which would you suggest I choose?

I would go for Brautigam's Haydn set, which is as close to "definitive" as you can get IMO.

I also like his Mozart - very good indeed but not as the Haydn. Brautigam's Mozart feels at times a bit too "forced/pushed", somewhat lacking in Mozartian "wittyness". I expect the Mozart set will be superstaged by Bezuidenhout's ongoing cycle.

Q