Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 08, 2011, 01:17:48 PM
And I do not like Brautigam´s Mozart set. Mozarts textures are too thin to stand Brautigam´s often aggressive approach. And his set has since long been surpassed by sets from Badura-Skoda, van Oort, Lubimov and Bilson. I do not know about Brautigam´s Haydn set. Owning Schornsheim´s set and the Brilliant collective set is enough Haydn for me.
Quote from: ~ Que ~ on June 07, 2011, 09:05:00 PM
I would go for Brautigam's Haydn set, which is as close to "definitive" as you can get IMO.

I also like his Mozart - very good indeed but not as the Haydn. Brautigam's Mozart feels at times a bit too "forced/pushed", somewhat lacking in Mozartian "wittyness". I expect the Mozart set will be superstaged by Bezuidenhout's ongoing cycle.

Q

Thank you both.  My selection of both is rather limited--beyond some scattered individual pieces,  I've only got Hamelin's four CD set for Haydn, and Lili Kraus's set of the Mozart sonatas. 

haydnguy

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on June 07, 2011, 09:05:00 PM
I would go for Brautigam's Haydn set, which is as close to "definitive" as you can get IMO.

I also like his Mozart - very good indeed but not as the Haydn. Brautigam's Mozart feels at times a bit too "forced/pushed", somewhat lacking in Mozartian "wittyness". I expect the Mozart set will be superstaged by Bezuidenhout's ongoing cycle.

Q

I'm late to this party but just wanted to say that I would tend to agree with the Haydn. I don't have that Haydn set but I do have a CD of Haydn keyboard concertos, which to my mind is excellent. So good, in fact, that I loaned my first copy out, didn't get it back and then bought a second copy.  (See below).

[asin]B0007OP1RG[/asin]

North Star

A great piece - I've been meaning to get to know the rest of Mahler's symphonies for well over a year now

E: wrong thread, I was listening to this.  :-[
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Walton and Rubbra: Viola Concertos

I like both these composers, but don't have either concerto:

Anyone heard it?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

The new erato

Quote from: Velimir on June 10, 2011, 02:56:44 AM

Anyone heard it?
Yes, and I remember it as very fine, but as for further details, it's been some time.....

karlhenning

Haven't heard that rec, but I've got "the Nige" playing the Walton va cto.  Beautiful piece!

jlaurson

Quote from: Velimir on June 10, 2011, 02:56:44 AM

Anyone heard it?

Splendid performances of excellent works (if you are into the darkish side of tonal British 20th Ct. music.)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Thanks guys - feedback on this disc (not just here) is very positive.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 25, 2011, 04:26:20 AM
On closer thought, the Powell disc of Nido di scatole, Djâmi and St Bertrand de Comminges may be the best introduction. It contains a nocturne (the second piece), a characteristically macabre work, one of his "hits" (the third), and a much less known major one which is unusually for the composer a rather accessably presented suite of 17 pieces.

That's the one wherewith I am taking the plunge today . . . .

Lethevich

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2011, 04:42:19 AM
That's the one wherewith I am taking the plunge today . . . .

Awesome! It's amazing how long every new Sorabji piece takes me to absorb - so many notes :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 10, 2011, 07:04:21 AM
Awesome! It's amazing how long every new Sorabji piece takes me to absorb - so many notes :'(

Finding it heavy-laden with noteage, in the best sense.

Que

My apologies if this has been discussed before - though I can recall it be mentioned once in a while..

Details about the set HERE.
I kept myself of buying into yet another early music set. But now I have digested the "other" Van Nevel set (by Paul, Erik's uncle), I'm wondering about this set.

I recall Harry, whose expertise in matters of choral music I much value, was not so keen on Erik van Nevel's conducting. I believe several here have this set - could I have your votes, please? :)

Q

Mirror Image

A few sets I'm going to buy but in the future:

[asin]B000009CMV[/asin]
[asin]B000001G53[/asin]
[asin]B00006469X[/asin]
[asin]B00006469T[/asin]
[asin]B00006469S[/asin]

The new erato

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2011, 08:39:40 PM
A few sets I'm going to buy but in the future:

[asin]B000001G53[/asin]

This was the first Parsifal that I had ever heard, MI.  It is absolutely amazing!   :) 

karlhenning

You know, this is just why I decided to take the plunge with The Cube three years ago.  I knew it would be a matter only of time before I should find my ears at the ready to appreciate Wagner, and that I should want to hear The Lot.  Even then, on speculation, I felt it was $63 well spent : )

Mandryka

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2011, 08:39:40 PM
A few sets I'm going to buy but in the future . . .

[

The Parsifal is good -- maybe Peter Hofman's best recording. Well worth having. It's one of the few recordings which does a really fine job in the second half of Act 2, ehich is key to making sense of the plot (insofar as anyone can make sense of the plot  ;)) And Amfortas is very moving.

Still I think you can do even better, and you should also maybe consider the  Parsifal recording with Knappertsbusch, Hotter and Vickers. I

The Karajan Ring has an outstanding Siegmund and Sieglinde  but personally I think it's really only for Karajan completists. There are too many important disappointments, like Régine Crespin and Tom Stewart.  My top choice would be the Chereau first production with Boulez conducting on DVD. It's wonderfully sung and the production is really stimulating.  Or on CD rather than DVD, the Solti ring, which is amazing except for a rather disappointing Siegmund and Sieglinde. The famous and much loved Kupfer Beyreuth production with Barenboim is ruined by an atrocious Bruenhilde.

I think you would be much better off with a Karajan Tristan -- either the one with with Vinay or the one with with Vickers; or the Bohm Tristan with Windgassen and Nilsson.

I can't comment on Lohengrin and the Dutchman -- they aren't operas I know very well.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Keemun

I am looking for a good set of Brahms' symphonies, and I am considering one of the following sets.  Any thoughts on these or further suggestions?

[asin]B0000041Z5[/asin]  [asin]B000007ODY[/asin]  [asin]B000069KIZ[/asin]  [asin]B002AGIEYG[/asin]

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Mandryka

Quote from: Keemun on June 14, 2011, 09:35:13 AM
I am looking for a good set of Brahms' symphonies, and I am considering one of the following sets.  Any thoughts on these or further suggestions?

I like the Rattle. But I think you should give priority to  Kempe on Testament  -- he has all the feeling of Karajan and all the drive of Toscanini.

Most of all I like Furtwangler on Music and Arts -- there is some extraordinary music making in that set.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

karlhenning

Quote from: Mandryka on June 14, 2011, 10:15:14 AM
I like the Rattle.

Very interesting!  As I have gotten so accustomed to scorn being heaped upon Rattle (w/ the Berliners) . . . .