Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 10:26:24 AM
Yes, I've flipped through many of Gramophone and BBC Music magazines. I don't really have anything against the articles, but I think they show a strong British slant, which, in turn, makes them come off as biased.

A British slant is exactly what I would expect from a British magazine, so I don't have any problem with those periodicals.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bulldog on October 04, 2011, 11:45:54 AM
A British slant is exactly what I would expect from a British magazine, so I don't have any problem with those periodicals.

I guess it's to be expected. Anyway, thought I would mention that I'll be filing Weinberg in the "don't understand now, but listen to later" pile. He just sounds like a poor imitator of Shostakovich to me right now. Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, and Shostakovich are, in my opinion, the best Soviet composers. Weinberg isn't even a contender. I really wish I could find those Olympia recordings, because something tells me they're more authoritative than the Chandos recordings. Anyway, this will be the last time I go in blindfolded when it concerns a composer I'm not familiar with. I should have done more sampling of his music via NML before I went overboard with CDs, which is my own fault.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 10:26:24 AM
Yes, I've flipped through many of Gramophone and BBC Music magazines. I don't really have anything against the articles, but I think they show a strong British slant, which, in turn, makes them come off as biased.
Everybody has their own particuloar slants. The trick is to be aware of them-

Clever Hans

Quote from: Bulldog on October 04, 2011, 11:45:54 AM

My problem with the Gramophone is not as much its british slant, but the overblown writing style and canonizations/prejudgements of Bryce Morrison and to a lesser degree Richard Osborne.

Speaking generally,
there is no comparison between the articles since the late 70s with those from the 30s to 60s, which are very often written with frankness, precise criticisms and score in hand. I understand that not everyone in the readership can read music, but any professional criticism requires real substance.

SonicMan46

Paul O'Dette - Art of the Lute - 5 disc box from H. Mundi w/ a mixture of composers (already own 2 complete sets of Dowland's lute works w/ 2 other performers, so don't need his Dowland box) - this is now selling @ BRO for $25 - of course, just a compilation of previous single discs, but the price is hard to beat! :)

Bulldog

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 11:55:53 AM
I guess it's to be expected. Anyway, thought I would mention that I'll be filing Weinberg in the "don't understand now, but listen to later" pile. He just sounds like a poor imitator of Shostakovich to me right now. Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, and Shostakovich are, in my opinion, the best Soviet composers. Weinberg isn't even a contender. I really wish I could find those Olympia recordings, because something tells me they're more authoritative than the Chandos recordings. Anyway, this will be the last time I go in blindfolded when it concerns a composer I'm not familiar with. I should have done more sampling of his music via NML before I went overboard with CDs, which is my own fault.

Sorry to hear that you're not enjoying Weinberg.  I thought he would become one of your favorites; guess I was wrong.  It did surprise me that you bought so many Weinberg discs, but I just figured you listened to all of them on NML.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bulldog on October 04, 2011, 03:15:35 PM
Sorry to hear that you're not enjoying Weinberg.  I thought he would become one of your favorites; guess I was wrong.  It did surprise me that you bought so many Weinberg discs, but I just figured you listened to all of them on NML.

Thanks, Bulldog. I have to be careful to not put all my eggs in one basket from now one. ;) But seriously, I thought Weinberg's music was interesting just not distinctive enough for me. It's okay, things like this happen all the time, if push comes to shove, I'll send my Weinberg CDs to somebody who appreciates the music more than I do.

That being said, here are two recordings I've had my eye on...

Daverz

Quote from: Bulldog on October 04, 2011, 03:15:35 PM

Many of the Olympia Vainberg recordings can be found here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on October 04, 2011, 04:37:58 PM
May of the Olympia Vainberg recordings can be found here.

Thanks bulldog, but I'm not into downloading music.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 11:55:53 AM

Interesting, I became interested in Weinberg because of enjoying DSCH and Prokofiev so much, I wouldn't consider his output to better theirs, but I enjoy what I've heard.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 04, 2011, 04:44:06 PM
Interesting, I became interested in Weinberg because of enjoying DSCH and Prokofiev so much, I wouldn't consider his output to better theirs, but I enjoy what I've heard.

Something just isn't clicking for me with Weinberg's music. I find Shostakovich and Prokofiev both more compelling composers. With Weinberg, I can't make heads or tails where he's going with his music. He's not very direct with his ideas and I have found that his music lacks structure. As crazy as somebody like Varese or Ligeti is, there is more structure in their music than Weinberg's. FYI, I LOVE both Varese and Ligeti, so this is no disrespect to their music. 8)

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 03:52:57 PMif push comes to shove, I'll send my Weinberg CDs to somebody who appreciates the music more than I do.

To: Mirror Image
Re: that Cello Fantasia and Flute Concerto CD

Reeemeemmmmmmbbbbbeeeerrrrr meeeeeeeeeee!!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 04, 2011, 07:41:28 PM
To: Mirror Image
Re: that Cello Fantasia and Flute Concerto CD

Reeemeemmmmmmbbbbbeeeerrrrr meeeeeeeeeee!!!

:P

Brian, I haven't heard this disc yet, but as I said, I'm putting Weinberg on hold right now until some other musical interests at the moment reach their peak.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 03:52:57 PM
Thanks, Bulldog. I have to be careful to not put all my eggs in one basket from now one. ;) But seriously, I thought Weinberg's music was interesting just not distinctive enough for me. It's okay, things like this happen all the time, if push comes to shove, I'll send my Weinberg CDs to somebody who appreciates the music more than I do.

That being said, here are two recordings I've had my eye on...

Sorry to hear that John, you seemed rather enthusiastic about Weinberg a few days ago, so I am rather surprised to hear this!

I have just brought that new Petrenko Shostakovich release, really really excited about hearing it! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 04:47:45 PM
Something just isn't clicking for me with Weinberg's music. I find Shostakovich and Prokofiev both more compelling composers. With Weinberg, I can't make heads or tails where he's going with his music. He's not very direct with his ideas and I have found that his music lacks structure. As crazy as somebody like Varese or Ligeti is, there is more structure in their music than Weinberg's. FYI, I LOVE both Varese and Ligeti, so this is no disrespect to their music. 8)
Of my dozen (or so) Weinberg discs, around 10 are of chamber music, which I like a lot. I've known his symphonies since the 70-ies when I bought a couple of Melodiya LPs (he was Vainberg then); but I haven't made it a priority to exploe them. Gues that says a lot. OTOH it's exciting when a new cpo string quartets disc is issued.

not edward

That looks interesting. I was very impressed by Sallinen's 8th in the cpo series, and I'd be interested to see how this recording compares. (The couplings are quite interesting, too, though I'm not sure how many Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Brittens we really need.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Lethevich

Bleh, another disc I will have to buy for a single Tüür piece ;)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

springrite

It's okay, things like this happen all the time, if push comes to shove, I'll send my Weinberg CDs to somebody who appreciates the music more than I do.

Not that I am pushing or shoving, and I haven't heard the CHANDOS to know if it is the music or the performances that's the problem for you. But I hope you will eventually come to enjoy Veinberg for what he is. He was my find of 1999. It's been a dozen years and I still enjoy them. Store them away for the time being would be my advise and listen to them some time later. If storage is a problem, then I do have shelve space.  ;D

Wait, I don't. But I can make them.  ;D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

jlaurson

Quote from: springrite on October 05, 2011, 10:28:56 AM
Not that I am pushing or shoving, and I haven't heard the CHANDOS to know if it is the music or the performances that's the problem for you. But I hope you will eventually come to enjoy Veinberg for what he is. He was my find of 1999. It's been a dozen years and I still enjoy them. Store them away for the time being would be my advise and listen to them some time later. If storage is a problem, then I do have shelve space.  ;D

Wait, I don't. But I can make them.  ;D

Let's not forget that Naxos will start a Weinberg Symphony-cycle once Chandos is finished with its. With Polish NRSO / Wit. I know *I* am looking forward to it.

The new erato

Quote from: jlaurson on October 05, 2011, 10:30:45 AM
Let's not forget that Naxos will start a Weinberg Symphony-cycle once Chandos is finished with its. With Polish NRSO / Wit. I know *I* am looking forward to it.
That's good news indeed.