Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: jlaurson on January 29, 2012, 04:19:28 AM
I was probably among the chorus of voices that suggested you get this... so here it is again: plunge already! It's top-drawer stuff and a wonderful exploration.

Indeed you were, thanks again for the feedback Jens :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

mc ukrneal

So, last year they released a new disc Herold Piano Concertos. But then I saw a competitve release of piano concertos. And in the space of just a few months there are now two discs to choose from. This is getting tough!!

(the newer one)
(the first one)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Opus106

Okay, the Wagnerian stench is just too much to handle in this thread. Que, where are you? :(

;D ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Nav, I'm considering that Buxtehude harpsichord box. If I can locate it : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on January 31, 2012, 04:28:06 AM
Nav, I'm considering that Buxtehude harpsichord box. If I can locate it : )

Completely off-topic, Karl. This thread has been commandeered by the Wagnerites. Take your Buxtehude question elsewhere  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 31, 2012, 04:30:33 AM
This thread has been commandeered by the Wagnerites. Take your Buxtehude question elsewhere  :D

Sarge

;D
Well said!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

John Copeland

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 31, 2012, 04:30:33 AM
Completely off-topic, Karl. This thread has been commandeered by the Wagnerites. Take your Buxtehude question elsewhere  :D
Sarge

You guys should be in Bayreuth circa 1876.  I collared Jules Verne, who was passing in his time machine, and consulted him on the matter.  He said he would take you all, but only if you agree to meet Ceasar Franck too.  Buxtehude didn't come into it.

Que

Quote from: Opus106 on January 31, 2012, 04:27:12 AM
Okay, the Wagnerian stench is just too much to handle in this thread. Que, where are you? :(

;D ;)

Better?  8)

Q

PS Wagnerians: the discussion has been transferred HERE.

Opus106

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 31, 2012, 10:17:05 PM
Better?  8)

Q

:-*

On hindsight: I just realised that I now have a post in the Wagner thread. :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

Okay, back to the thread duty:
[asin]B0060VI4FQ[/asin]
Worth getting?  I obviously don't need any more recordings of M2, but is there anything in this performance that would make me want to get it?

trung224

Has anyone know about this recording
[asin]B0002O38SA[/asin]

I have the Klemperer-Barenboim and Colin Davis-Arrau, but I'm really curious

mc ukrneal

I seem to remember this Gluck being well regarded, but cannot seem to find a reference. Any thoughts?
[asin]B00005O7Z4[/asin]

Opus106

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 01, 2012, 10:56:51 PM
I seem to remember this Gluck being well regarded, but cannot seem to find a reference. Any thoughts?

It popped up on the SDCB thread, and some Baroque opera fans made hay while the Sun shone (at Amazon UK), so to speak.
Regards,
Navneeth

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Opus106 on February 01, 2012, 11:40:05 PM
It popped up on the SDCB thread, and some Baroque opera fans made hay while the Sun shone (at Amazon UK), so to speak.
Ah - I see it. Yes - it is still the same price, which is where I must have seen it and put on my wishlist. I couldn't remember how it got there! Thanks! If anyone else wants to comment, still welcomed! :)

jlaurson

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 01, 2012, 10:56:51 PM

C.W.R.v. Gluck,
Jacobs et al.

HMU

It's absolutely fantastic. Really lively, really theatrical (in the best way), dramatic and yet with gaiety.
Made the BIG mistake of listening to that right before hearing it in S'burg with Muti... whose homogenized "Gluck-as-too-early-Mozart" approach was thus rendered even more unlisteneable than it would be on its own. Too high a standard, that Jacobs, to live up to. (My second favorite, but separated by a good margin, is incidentally a very early Karajan recording from Salzburg. Totally different, but also compelling in its way.)

nesf

I need recommendations for melancholic music along the lines of Elgar's Cello Concerto, Shostakovich's Piano Quintet, Prokofiev's 7th and so on. :)
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

North Star

Quote from: nesf on February 02, 2012, 10:43:29 AM
I need recommendations for melancholic music along the lines of Elgar's Cello Concerto, Shostakovich's Piano Quintet, Prokofiev's 7th and so on. :)
That is a very broad area, but may I suggest Sibelius & Mahler's symphonies, and Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead and Symphonic Dances for starters.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

nesf

Quote from: North Star on February 02, 2012, 12:03:34 PM
That is a very broad area, but may I suggest Sibelius & Mahler's symphonies, and Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead and Symphonic Dances for starters.

Thank you. And yes, I realise it's a terribly broad and general question akin to asking for happy or pleasing music.
My favourite words in classical: "Molto vivace"

Yes, I'm shallow.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: North Star on February 02, 2012, 12:03:34 PM

I'll second these suggestions. Try Mahler's 6th symphony, the Rachmaninov mentioned above, Shostakovich's 5th/10th symphonies, etc... those are the recommendations I shall come up with for now. ;)

By the way, nesf, do you know Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet? This is an absolutely amazing piece, one of my favourites. The 'Juliet's Death' finale I think is one of the most beautiful pieces ever written. Makes me cry every time I hear it... and the ballet also contains some of the most jolly music, such as the 'Morning Dance'. :) A masterpiece.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven