Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

I've seen it around on several sites, and even did a posting on it here ....but cannot find it here and now. it will surface.

Daverz

Quote from: Octave on March 25, 2013, 05:08:09 AM
Or anything else that occurs to you.  The 'Encore' series

Sibelius 4 & 5 with Karajan
Shostakovich 4 with Previn
The Rodrigo disc

jlaurson

Quote from: Octave on March 25, 2013, 05:08:09 AM3. Schmidt's #4 (Welser-Most)
one of FWM's finest moments!

Quote from: Octave on March 25, 2013, 05:08:09 AM5. Bach MOTETS by Eric Ericson
so incredibly surpassed on all sides by all kinds of performers, it's hard to remember, upon re-hearing, why this was once thought to be quite so special. (Which it was. But totally isn't any longer.)

Sadko

4. Rachmaninov ETUDES-TABLEAUX (Ovchinnikov)

Praised by many, and me.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Octave

Thanks Sadko, Daverz, and JFL for EMI Encore series recommendations.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

kishnevi

I just realized that:
1. I don't have Zemlinsky's Symphonies 1 & 2 by anyone, and
2. Ida Haendel's Sibelius Violin Concerto w/Berglund (not included with any of the EMI Sibelius/Berglund boxes, afaik, at least not the two I have) is not totally OOP, as I carelessly thought it was.

I will probably be getting both of these in their bargain EMI 'Encore' series reissues.  Since Arkiv has a slight sale on these in quantity , so I'd be curious if anyone can highly recommend any of the other issues.  The whole (?) series is here:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/listPage.jsp?list_id=3101&page_size=100&page_type=2

Some that are in larger/other sets I already have (Kempe's Strauss, anything Oistrakh, all Weissenberg, anything Karajan, Jansons' Rachmaninov), but a few things popped out at me as potentially interesting:
1. Liszt B-min sonata (Agustin Anievas)
2. Janacek SINFONIETTA + Weinberg/Smetana by Mackerras (the latter two not on the ICON set iirc)
3. Schmidt's #4 (Welser-Most)
4. Rachmaninov ETUDES-TABLEAUX (Ovchinnikov)
5. Bach MOTETS by Eric Ericson
6. Prokofiev: SYMPHONY-CONCERTO & CELLO SONATA (Chang/Pappano)
7. Te Kanawa & Tate: FRENCH SONGS/ARIAS
8. Prokofiev: VIOLIN CONCERTOS + SONATA (Perlman/Zukerman/Rozhdestvensky)

Or anything else that occurs to you.  The 'Encore' series issues have a white cover with a cherub sitting on a compact disc.  *gag*
I'm not desperate for a slight deal, so only recommend something if you really like it a lot and it's worth having!

The Cherub sitting on an LP was the ancient symbol of EMI's Angel label--which they elaborated on with Seraphim,  whose slogan was "Angels of the highest order".  (Ancient=the era when EMI issued more new recordings than it did re-re-releases.)

I ordered the Schmidt, the Vieuxtemps cello concertos, because I have nothing of those composers--the Oistrakh Mozart CD because I have had the companion recording for years--the Sawallisch Mendelssohn Second, the Liszt Faust symphony, and the Franck symphony, all of which are rather unrepresented in my collection--one recording each for the latter two, and two for the Mendelssohn, both of them part of full cycles (Abbado and Karajan).  I had all the Karajan Sibelius CDs in my cart but dumped them to make room for some other stuff (something had to go).

The Zemlinsky is a nice CD, and I think the Bach motets one is also a nice one--a representative of the old HIP style, so to speak ("I was HIP before it was hip to be HIP")

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 25, 2013, 12:49:46 PM...--the Sawallisch Mendelssohn Second,

Yikes. Not to rain on your party... But I hope you have other Mendelssohn 2nds to listen to*. I was so severely disappointed by this one... a thumping Sawallisch dud, and I quite love Sawallisch. Difficult beast of a symphony, but when done well, it's my favorite Mendelssohn Symphony.

* Dohnanyi, Karajan, and Bernius (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-recordings-of-2009-4.html), for example. (Fey and Weigle, to mention other single-disc available accounts, try, but don't come anywhere close to those three.)

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on March 25, 2013, 01:19:14 PM
Yikes. Not to rain on your party... But I hope you have other Mendelssohn 2nds to listen to*. I was so severely disappointed by this one... a thumping Sawallisch dud, and I quite love Sawallisch. Difficult beast of a symphony, but when done well, it's my favorite Mendelssohn Symphony.

* Dohnanyi, Karajan, and Bernius (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-recordings-of-2009-4.html), for example. (Fey and Weigle, to mention other single-disc available accounts, try, but don't come anywhere close to those three.)

It's part of the $4 per CD at Arkiv, so I shan't shed too many tears over money wasted.  But thanks for the warning.  (As said before, I've got Karajan and Abbado.  Comparing them, I can understand why you mentioned Herbert and not Claudio.)

Octave

Quote from: jlaurson on March 25, 2013, 01:19:14 PM

Jens, you link to an OOP Mendelssohn/Dohnanyi set; I'm assuming this one contains the same recordings.  Odd, I never remember seeing it, even though it was released Stateside in 2010.

[asin]B003Y3MYWC[/asin]

jlaurson

Quote from: Octave on March 25, 2013, 01:44:12 PM
Jens, you link to an OOP Mendelssohn/Dohnanyi set; I'm assuming this one contains the same recordings.  Odd, I never remember seeing it, even though it was released Stateside in 2010.

F. Mendelssohn-B.
Dohnanyi / WPh
Decca

Correct. 'Tis the one.

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 25, 2013, 01:36:44 PM(As said before, I've got Karajan and Abbado.  Comparing them, I can understand why you mentioned Herbert and not Claudio.)

Oh, gawd yes. How can such a wonderful conductor (Claudio) be so dreadfully boring in all these symphonies. Yikes. But if you have Karajan, at least you are in good hands. His entire Mendelssohn Symphony cycle, really, is quite outstanding. And (Karajan-detraction coming natural to many of us, myself included) quite/intuitively underrated.

MishaK

Quote from: jlaurson on March 25, 2013, 02:32:38 PM
Oh, gawd yes. How can such a wonderful conductor (Claudio) be so dreadfully boring in all these symphonies. Yikes. But if you have Karajan, at least you are in good hands. His entire Mendelssohn Symphony cycle, really, is quite outstanding. And (Karajan-detraction coming natural to many of us, myself included) quite/intuitively underrated.

Seconded in all respects. I'm no Herbie fan, but he hit it out of the park with that Mendelssohn cycle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: MishaK on March 26, 2013, 07:16:44 AM
Seconded in all respects. I'm no Herbie fan, but he hit it out of the park with that Mendelssohn cycle.

Absolutely agreed.

kishnevi

In the shopping cart, but at least one of them has to go to keep the order in limits:
Norrington conducting Schubert 6/8
N. Jaarvi conducting Atterberg Symphonies 4 and 6
an LPO release of DSCH 8 conducted by Rozhdestvensky
John Adams works for string quartet performed the Attaca Quartet
Simon Bolivar String Quartet (=principals of the Simon Bolivar Orchestra) playing DSCH, Dvorak and Ginastera
Guido: the Four Seasons performed by The Band of Instruments ( a Harry seal of approval recording)

Also in the car, but definitely not on the bubble, is the latest volume of the Pacifica Quartet's DSCH cycle.

Suggestions on which to drop out of the cart would be much appreciated.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 26, 2013, 07:50:29 PM
N. Jaarvi conducting Atterberg Symphonies 4 and 6
Guido: the Four Seasons performed by The Band of Instruments ( a Harry seal of approval recording)

I think Todd might have heard the Simon Bolivar Quartet album. If you have Mackerras' Schubert I doubt Norrington's is needed, but I haven't heard it. Jarvi's Atterberg is sonically superior to Rasilainen's, and the orchestra is gorgeous, but Jarvi himself is a poor conductor of the music who only hints at its expressiveness, especially in the Sixth Symphony. The fast bits are really thrilling, though. Guido's Four Seasons is actually a triple seal of approval: Harry, Jens and I all really enjoy it. Best to think of them as characteristic baroque suites, rather than concertos, but still great fun.

Octave

.[asin]B000PMG5JS[/asin]

Andras Schiff: CONCERTOS AND CHAMBER MUSIC (Warner, 9cd)

I am most interested in the Veress, the single disc of which I thought I had missed, at least "new" and decently priced.  I liked the Schubert once, several years ago, but it was almost the first I'd ever heard of those pieces; I don't think it would be a must for me now, but the price is right.  Antoine Marchand once gave measured praise to the Mozart, but said it was almost certainly not as fine as the Mozartean Players (sic?) recording (which for the moment I think is too expensive for me, or not available...).

Anyway, input on the contents as a whole would be appreciated!  Even if it's cheap.

Shost: Oistrakh/Slava/Ormandy/Mitropoulos play concertos

I understand this is still a good one to have.

[asin]B0001Y4JI4[/asin]
Rachmaninov operas by Jarvi

A comment Brian made about Jarvi just recently makes me wonder if he's the man for this job; there do seem to be some hot singers here, though....Leiferkus is one of whim I have heard a tiny bit by, and I think he's great.  I am also interested in his Mussorgsky songs.

[asin]B0001Y4JHA[/asin]
Hogwood's Purcell's Theater Music

[asin]B00005LZRH[/asin]
Fuenllana & Narvaez: Music for Vihuela in the Royal Courts of Spain

I once heard that ECM disc of Narvaez and thought it was beautiful; unfortunately for the moment it tends to be very expensive.  I need to do some research and find the cream of Narvaez recordings.

[asin]B008XRQS7Q[/asin]
Buxtehude organ music by Simone Stella

I need to spend some time in the Bustehude thread; I'm sure it's been discussed.

The new erato

The Buxtehude has been frequently discussed, also in the listening thread.

kishnevi

Quote from: Octave on March 27, 2013, 04:05:24 AM

Shost: Oistrakh/Slava/Ormandy/Mitropoulos play concertos

I understand this is still a good one to have.

It certainly is an excellent recording.  One quirk to report: to my ears the violin concerto, which was recorded in mono, has better sonics than the cello concerto, which was recorded in stereo.  I suspect that in that period when stereo was just coming into its own,  at least some engineers could get better results on the basis of experience with mono.

Re: Buxtehude: that's next up in my listening pile.  Been waiting to get through the Koopman Bach cycle, of which the last CD is finally playing now even as I post.   I got the Buxtehude primarily on the strength of Stella's recording of the Buxtehude harpsichord works.

Mandryka

Quote from: Octave on March 27, 2013, 04:05:24 AM
[asin]B008XRQS7Q[/asin]
Buxtehude organ music by Simone Stella

I need to spend some time in the Bustehude thread; I'm sure it's been discussed.

For me Stella's Buxtehude is too exciting. He plays stylus fantasticus as if it's about fireworks.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Octave

Quote from: Mandryka on March 27, 2013, 10:37:20 PM
For me Stella's Buxtehude is too exciting. He plays stylus fantasticus as if it's about fireworks.

It seems like you were really interested in Kraft's Buxtehude as recently as last year (collected in the Vox box); do you still feel that way about Kraft?  As a large helping of those works, is that a smart way in?
I was looking at Stella based on her reputation and state-of-art sound quality, but a key performance is always my priority.