Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: George on April 08, 2007, 11:38:57 AM
Opinions on This One?:

Hello, George:)

This is one of my favourite Schubert recordings. I recommend it wholeheartedly. Pires plays magnificently and perfectly attuned to Schubert's idiom.

I'd also recommend the Harnoncourt set of Schubert's symphonies, very exciting and refreshing performances.

George

Quote from: Wanderer on April 19, 2007, 11:01:38 AM

This is one of my favourite Schubert recordings. I recommend it wholeheartedly. Pires plays magnificently and perfectly attuned to Schubert's idiom.

I'd also recommend the Harnoncourt set of Schubert's symphonies, very exciting and refreshing performances.

Thanks, I have it on order at mymusic.com. I sure hope that they come up with a copy.  :-\

Nunc Dimittis

Scelsi:  The Orchestral Works 2.  The only alternatives for two of the compositions on this CD are on OOP disks from Accord.  So this is more a matter of do I want to spend the money.

Pisendel:  Concerti con varii strumenti.  I do not have any all Pisendel CD's yet.  I have one CD with his concerto grosso No. 1 along with some other baroque music from the Dresden court and want to explore more of his music.

"[Er] lernte Neues auf jedem Schritt seines Weges, denn die Welt war verwandelt, und sein Herz war bezaubert." - Hesse

not edward

Quote from: Nunc Dimittis on April 20, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Scelsi:  The Orchestral Works 2.  The only alternatives for two of the compositions on this CD are on OOP disks from Accord.  So this is more a matter of do I want to spend the money.
If you like Scelsi, you do. Fine performances all round, and while Uaxuctum is one of Scelsi's very best works, the previously unrecorded La Nascita del Verbo is a crazy, wacked-out revelation.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Steve

Hovanhess, Mysterious Mountain, Fritz Reiner

The new erato

I'm like Don, I aquire stuff all the time. But currently I urgently need to clear away some CD waiting to be heard, when I'm done with that, these will have the main priority:

rubio

I wonder how this box set is? It's quite expensive, so I'm a bit reluctant.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Harry

Quote from: Nunc Dimittis on April 20, 2007, 07:51:03 AM
[

Pisendel:  Concerti con varii strumenti.  I do not have any all Pisendel CD's yet.  I have one CD with his concerto grosso No. 1 along with some other baroque music from the Dresden court and want to explore more of his music.

I have this one, bought it some months ago, and can recommend it. Nicely recorded, and a high standard in performance.

Bogey

Especially the first of these two from this baroque ensemble:

These are the Brook Street Band's only two commercial cds to my knowledge.  I heard some of their work on the radio and was immediately impressed.  Here is a bit about them:

http://www.brookstreetband.co.uk/docs/about/about1.htm

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: rubio on April 21, 2007, 01:25:00 AM

There's a few ways to check out some of it for cheap. The cheapest is a single CD of some of the name sonatas. Or the twofer of the late works.

His LvB is quite expansive, if you like you're LvB this way, you'll love it. If you don't (like me) then you may find yourself liking some of his interpretations, but finding that others miss the mark. I only have the two aformentioned releases and they did not pursuade me to get the set. Being that I am a completeist when it comes to these works, I will one day own the set, but I am in no hurry to get it.

I definitely recommend trying out a CD or two of his LvB for yourself, because his set is very well respected and loved by many. 

George

Quote from: Wanderer on April 19, 2007, 11:01:38 AM

Just got an email that they sent this yesterday, Yes!!!!!!  :D

Bunny

Quote from: rubio on April 21, 2007, 01:25:00 AM

Almost all of the Philips recordings have gone sky-high because the Euro is strong against the dollar.  That's really an old box set and they may have put in a newer one.  Try BRO for that or any of the BMG music clubs where I found it 2 or more years ago.

rubio

Quote from: George on April 21, 2007, 05:12:01 AM
There's a few ways to check out some of it for cheap. The cheapest is a single CD of some of the name sonatas. Or the twofer of the late works.

His LvB is quite expansive, if you like you're LvB this way, you'll love it. If you don't (like me) then you may find yourself liking some of his interpretations, but finding that others miss the mark. I only have the two aformentioned releases and they did not pursuade me to get the set. Being that I am a completeist when it comes to these works, I will one day own the set, but I am in no hurry to get it.

I definitely recommend trying out a CD or two of his LvB for yourself, because his set is very well respected and loved by many. 

Thank you for the comment. Maybe I start with sampling his Beethoven Piano Concert 4 & 5 with Haitink from this set. I would also like to find his Piano Sonata No. 32 Op. 111 on a single CD, as this is supposed to be one of his best. But I haven't managed to locate it yet.

George

Quote from: rubio on April 21, 2007, 08:10:39 AM
Thank you for the comment. Maybe I start with sampling his Beethoven Piano Concert 4 & 5 with Haitink from this set. I would also like to find his Piano Sonata No. 32 Op. 111 on a single CD, as this is supposed to be one of his best. But I haven't managed to locate it yet.

You can get the final 5 sonatas on a two-fer one on Philips. Shouldn't cost more than a mid-priced CD.  :-\

IMO, he is more sucessful with the concertos than with the sonatas, so listening to the concertos may not give you an accurate picture of his sonatas.

Who else did you say you had in the sonatas, rubio?

rubio

Quote from: George on April 21, 2007, 08:58:28 AM
You can get the final 5 sonatas on a two-fer one on Philips. Shouldn't cost more than a mid-priced CD.  :-\

IMO, he is more sucessful with the concertos than with the sonatas, so listening to the concertos may not give you an accurate picture of his sonatas.

Who else did you say you had in the sonatas, rubio?

I have full sets of the sonatas from Kempff (mono), Lucchesini, Gulda and Annie Fischer (minus 2 CD's I think). I have the last piano sonatas of Schnabel on Pearl + some individual discs with Pollini, Moravec and Gilels, I think. I cannot comment too much on favourites as I haven't listened enough (or at all...). It's only the last couple of years I have really gotten into classical music, and so far I have concentrated more on symphonies (especially Beethoven, Mahler and Bruckner). When it comes to piano music I have delved more into Schumann and Chopin who still are my favourites for solo piano music. Also my wife is Polish, so she always asks for Chopin  :). There is so much good music...

George

Quote from: rubio on April 21, 2007, 09:16:18 AM
I have full sets of the sonatas from Kempff (mono), Lucchesini, Gulda and Annie Fischer (minus 2 CD's I think). I have the last piano sonatas of Schnabel on Pearl + some individual discs with Pollini, Moravec and Gilels, I think. I cannot comment too much on favourites as I haven't listened enough (or at all...). It's only the last couple of years I have really gotten into classical music, and so far I have concentrated more on symphonies (especially Beethoven, Mahler and Bruckner). When it comes to piano music I have delved more into Schumann and Chopin who still are my favourites for solo piano music. Also my wife is Polish, so she always asks for Chopin  :). There is so much good music...

In terms of your complete sets, Arrau would surely be a very different take, if that is what you are after. I have all of what you have (except Lucchesini) and think that Gilels's almost complete set is also worth considering. His is also a very different (more expansive) take than the ones you have, but it should cost a lot less, as it was recently re-released, and I happen to like his LvB more than Arrau's. I suggest comparing some samples of those two or revisiting the Gilels that you do have. 

rubio

I think I pass on the complete Arrau set for now, but that Gilels set for sure is tempting!

George

Quote from: rubio on April 21, 2007, 09:34:32 AM
I think I pass on the complete Arrau set for now, but that Gilels set for sure is tempting!

I got mine when it first came out. Its very consistent IMO. If you like the sonatas on the disc you have, I'd say go for it!

Bunny

Two items have caught my interest, Delirium which is scheduled for release in the USA sometime in May and Mozart am Stein Vis-a-Vis.  The first pairs Christophe Coin and the Quatuor Mosaïques doing Haydn and the second pairs Andreas Staier and Christine Schornsheim who worked so beautifully together in Hamburg. 

Steve