Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: G. String on April 12, 2014, 02:55:40 AM
Thank you. I have both Zehetmair albums. Bruggen is better than the other one but Manze is superior for me without comparison. So there are no Lin owners here.
I have Manze 3 4 5 and they are my kind of Mozart. A slightly slower tempo than is fashionable and a small ensemble sound.

Artem

I'm thinking about getting Pascal Rogé's CDs of Debussy piano music, specifically the 5 (or 6?) volumes CDs. But I'm not sure if I should get them individually or as a set, which is cheaper. However, I wouldn't want to miss the liner notes if that's the case with the boxset. Does anyone have that box?

Mookalafalas

As a way of downshifting my CDCDCD for a soft landing, I was going to start getting occasional small boxes. Top on my list are the Harmonia Mundi Staier or Schutz boxes.

But I just saw this in my local shop for less than $50. I thought it was new as I had never seen it before. Any thoughts (I have Gardiner's other box, by the way, and lots of his stuff in the archiv box and other sets. I even have his complete Cantatas on my hard drive...)
[asin]B003647BUE[/asin]
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 12, 2014, 11:23:35 PM
As a way of downshifting my CDCDCD for a soft landing, I was going to start getting occasional small boxes. Top on my list are the Harmonia Mundi Staier or Schutz boxes.

But I just saw this in my local shop for less than $50. I thought it was new as I had never seen it before. Any thoughts (I have Gardiner's other box, by the way, and lots of his stuff in the archiv box and other sets. I even have his complete Cantatas on my hard drive...)
[asin]B003647BUE[/asin]
Excellent stuff, but check carefully for dupes. 10 discs here are the big things, passions etc, and some are in boxes you own. That,s a very good price though.

DavidW

Gardiner's efforts with the cantatas don't sound the same as his approach to the large works.  Gardiner used to sound more like modern traditional but with faster tempos, now he sounds like he has absorbed all of the methods that the Dutch hipsters use.  Just be warned that it won't sound the same as the cantatas set that you have (which are newer recordings).  That being said they are pretty good recordings (but not as good as the cantatas).  Sometimes a little too exuberant though.  I prefer the more introspective approach of Suzuki.

Octave

I'm beginning to explore Prokofiev violin sonatas, and a lead led me here:

[asin]B00AK3X3XS[/asin]
Itzhak Perlman: SONATAS, CONCERTOS, AND MORE... (Sony, 9cd)

(The Prok w/Ashkenazy.)

How does all of this rate on the whole?  How much of it is outstanding?
I would probably not buy it "just" for the Prokofiev, as there are so many strong alternatives for those pieces.  Also probably not for "Cinema Serenade"...
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Moonfish

What do you folks think about the Berliner Philharmoniker Centenary Edition (50 cds)? As you know it came out last year and was the result of the public voting on their favorite recordings (in a similar fashion as the newer "100 Great Symphonies" set being released later this month).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Great-Symphonies-Various-Artists/dp/B00IDRVY6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397423720&sr=8-1&keywords=100+great+symphonies

The Berliner set has a lot of Karajan recordings, and a lot of standard repertoire. However, it also has a slight historical appeal to me (especially the first portion of the set). It goes for about 80 Euros at Amazon.de.  Thoughts?
I am leaning towards passing, but would love to read your impressions of this set.

[asin] B00DYQLEZM[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

DavidW

Quote from: Octave on April 13, 2014, 12:44:24 PM
I'm beginning to explore Prokofiev violin sonatas, and a lead led me here:

[asin]B00AK3X3XS[/asin]
Itzhak Perlman: SONATAS, CONCERTOS, AND MORE... (Sony, 9cd)

(The Prok w/Ashkenazy.)

How does all of this rate on the whole?  How much of it is outstanding?
I would probably not buy it "just" for the Prokofiev, as there are so many strong alternatives for those pieces.  Also probably not for "Cinema Serenade"...

I can speak for the Prokofiev: awesome!  In general: I like him in modern and romantic.  Don't care for him in baroque or classical.  Others will I'm sure feel differently.

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on April 13, 2014, 01:18:28 PM
What do you folks think about the Berliner Philharmoniker Centenary Edition (50 cds)? As you know it came out last year and was the result of the public voting on their favorite recordings (in a similar fashion as the newer "100 Great Symphonies" set being released later this month).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Great-Symphonies-Various-Artists/dp/B00IDRVY6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397423720&sr=8-1&keywords=100+great+symphonies

The Berliner set has a lot of Karajan recordings, and a lot of standard repertoire. However, it also has a slight historical appeal to me (especially the first portion of the set). It goes for about 80 Euros at Amazon.de.  Thoughts?
I am leaning towards passing, but would love to read your impressions of this set.

[asin] B00DYQLEZM[/asin]
99 at amazon us.

Again, a lot of great stuff. Do I really want that much standard rep? It's like the symphony box. For a newbie it's awesome.
Appeals more than Living Stereo 2

Mookalafalas

Of course it's good stuff for a good price, but I'm with Ken: I found it very resistible. It's all the stuff I don't need any more of. 

Thanks, btw, for the comments on the Gardiner Bach.  I'm going to listen to what I have for a while and think about it. Turns out I'd misrembered the price, it's actually about $60. 
It's all good...

The new erato

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 13, 2014, 04:28:35 PM
It's all the stuff I don't need any more of. 
This is very well put and a sentiment I have grown very much to share about really many of thess assorted giga collections. 1 USD pr disc isn't really cheap if the discs don't mean much too you and have a very high likelyhood of never being played.

Moonfish

Hmm, a Gergiev set.....? How do these recordings fare in your opinion?
23 GBP at amazon.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Valery-Gergiev/dp/B00975F09K/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1397469585&sr=1-1&keywords=B00975F09K

[asin] B00975F09K[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

The new erato

DavidW

Quote from: The new erato on April 13, 2014, 10:19:38 PM
This is very well put and a sentiment I have grown very much to share about really many of thess assorted giga collections. 1 USD pr disc isn't really cheap if the discs don't mean much too you and have a very high likelyhood of never being played.

So true!  Well actually I think for me is that I listen to them and discover the hit and miss nature. 

Bach complete edition (brilliant): overly bright, overly fast harpsichord recordings, great sacred recordings from the Sixteen, decent cantatas with a good soprano, awesome organ set!, and the worst cello suites that I've ever heard.

Bach cantatas (Rilling): some of the best singing and some of the worst.  A vision that continuously changes as the decades progress.  The only thing consistent about the box is the lack thereof.

Haydn symphonies (Davies): well judged tempos, overly fast, overly slow.  Applause at the end of each symphony!?!  I at first liked this set, but as I listened more and more I get tired of not knowing whether I'll like what I hear or it will be poorly judged.  Don't think I'll ever finish this box.

Let me point out what one big box that is awesome!  The Angeles Quartet's traversal of Haydn is consistent in performance and style from the beginning to the end.  That is one big set that I always enjoy and come back to.  I think it's time for a thread...

Moonfish

Quote from: DavidW on April 14, 2014, 06:09:02 AM
So true!  Well actually I think for me is that I listen to them and discover the hit and miss nature. 

Bach complete edition (brilliant): overly bright, overly fast harpsichord recordings, great sacred recordings from the Sixteen, decent cantatas with a good soprano, awesome organ set!, and the worst cello suites that I've ever heard.

Bach cantatas (Rilling): some of the best singing and some of the worst.  A vision that continuously changes as the decades progress.  The only thing consistent about the box is the lack thereof.

Haydn symphonies (Davies): well judged tempos, overly fast, overly slow.  Applause at the end of each symphony!?!  I at first liked this set, but as I listened more and more I get tired of not knowing whether I'll like what I hear or it will be poorly judged.  Don't think I'll ever finish this box.

Let me point out what one big box that is awesome!  The Angeles Quartet's traversal of Haydn is consistent in performance and style from the beginning to the end.  That is one big set that I always enjoy and come back to.  I think it's time for a thread...

Well, I understand your point of view. However, people's impressions of works are so varied. E.g. some people adore Gardiner or Abbado while others think they are awful. Why such a dichotomy in regards to these two prominent artists (or Rattle for that matter)?  One seems to come to like different works through different paths of listening. Boxes are excellent ways to expose oneself to composers, works and artists in an affordable manner since not everybody can afford buying recordings at $15-20 per disc. Besides, just because one buys a disc at a high price and it is recommended (e.g. Gardiner) does not mean that one will enjoy the recording.  I see it more as a journey of serendipity that allows one to encounter different interpretations and new soundscapes.
Anna Lappé

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jlaurson

Quote from: Moonfish on April 14, 2014, 08:46:56 AM
Well, I understand your point of view. However, people's impressions of works are so varied. E.g. some people adore Gardiner or Abbado while others think they are awful. Why such a dichotomy in regards to these two prominent artists (or Rattle for that matter)?  One seems to come to like different works through different paths of listening. Boxes are excellent ways to expose oneself to composers, works and artists in an affordable manner since not everybody can afford buying recordings at $15-20 per disc. Besides, just because one buys a disc at a high price and it is recommended (e.g. Gardiner) does not mean that one will enjoy the recording.  I see it more as a journey of serendipity that allows one to be encounter different interpretations and new soundscapes.

Yes and no. There's a clear trend re. Abbado and Gardiner, viz. they are considered worthy of adoration for reasons that relate to a reality (of quality) which are widely shared and perceived.
We may never be able to distinguish that reality from our subjective perception, but it's still there. Even then, of course, it's possible to not like what they do in general or specifically. (I adore Abbado but his Mahler Six I find a piece of bland rubbish; one example. I adore Gardiner, but if I don't hear his Enigma Variations again, I'll live... and not all his Bach Cantatas are the cat's meow, though all are at least very good.)

My point is: People who find either of these chaps just awful are in a very, very clear minority and would have to, if they felt inclined to make an argument for their opinion (no dichotomy there; Rattle would be a better point), do some major and convincing explaining. Or in yet other words: Beneath the sea of relativism lies a solid ocean bed of reality, objective standards and all. To the extent the refractions allow us to perceive it, we can (maybe even must) have opinions based on it and they are meaningful. If they weren't, this forum wouldn't be.

Or we're all living in the matrix, of course.

Quote from: The new erato on April 13, 2014, 10:19:38 PM

Couldn't agree more. But people will (want to) know better what is good for them.  ;)

G. String

However, people's impressions of works are so varied. E.g. some people adore Gardiner or Abbado while others think they are awful. Why such a dichotomy in regards to these two prominent artists (or Rattle for that matter)? 
Impressions, perception, opinions and reality don't have to be the same thing. Fact is distinguishable by provability. Cognition may be faulty for some. Finding Gardiner or Abbado awful is the same as finding great composers not so great. But that's just uninformed opinion or judgement...as what makes them great can be proved in terms of art, performance and ability. Of course Beethoven has below par compositions as Abbado has below par recordings. Great does not mean flawless. As someone thinking such a dichotomy exists does not mean it does.

Moonfish

Quote from: G. String on April 15, 2014, 03:26:21 AM
Impressions, perception, opinions and reality don't have to be the same thing. Fact is distinguishable by provability. Cognition may be faulty for some. Finding Gardiner or Abbado awful is the same as finding great composers not so great. But that's just uninformed opinion or judgement...as what makes them great can be proved in terms of art, performance and ability. Of course Beethoven has below par compositions as Abbado has below par recordings. Great does not mean flawless. As someone thinking such a dichotomy exists does not mean it does.

I think you missed my point.   
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Well, I understand your point of view. However, people's impressions of works are so varied. E.g. some people adore Gardiner or Abbado while others think they are awful. Why such a dichotomy in regards to these two prominent artists (or Rattle for that matter)?  One seems to come to like different works through different paths of listening. Boxes are excellent ways to expose oneself to composers, works and artists in an affordable manner since not everybody can afford buying recordings at $15-20 per disc. Besides, just because one buys a disc at a high price and it is recommended (e.g. Gardiner) does not mean that one will enjoy the recording.  I see it more as a journey of serendipity that allows one to encounter different interpretations and new soundscapes.

One reason I liked the Decca Sound box was it filled a lot of odd holes in my collection. No Mendelssohn or Bruch VC, no Britten War Requiem, no Borodin 2, etc. another is to get some great performances, or old sentimental favourites like Maag's Mendelssohn 3. Another reason is to inject a little random chance into my listening. The Deca in particular has a good mix and only a few 3 tenors wastes of a blank disc.
The Vivarte box was for the HIP. Cannot get enough HIP. The best box of all was the DHM 50, and it was a voyage of discovery as a lot of the music was new to me.
So different boxes different reasons. At these prices I see CDs as consumables. I had some big brilliant boxes, listened to them a few times over a few years, and sold them. Sometimes you get a surprise. I was very impressed by the musicianship in the Living Stereo box.