Recordings That You Are Considering

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Discobolus on December 12, 2014, 04:26:14 PM
The question is : who DOESN'T have that box ? There are only GREAT recordings in it !
I don't have it.  I wonder if I have anything with him? Not sure. Anyway, how much of that box is organ and how much harpsichord?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 13, 2014, 10:16:30 AM
I don't have it.  I wonder if I have anything with him? Not sure. Anyway, how much of that box is organ and how much harpsichord?
I don't have it, my only Leonhardt a 4 CD Vivarte box of Bach harpsichord stuff. Hardly ever listen to it because harpsichords aren't my bag.

kishnevi

The Arkiv page gives a complete listing of the contents.  More harpsichord than organ, but also some ensemble works like Telemann's Paris Quartets, and some with GL conducting Bach concertos and cantatas.

Cosi bel do

A little of everything, but each of these recordings are really essential. From the Bach organ on the Alkmaar Hagerbeer-Schnitger organ, to the Weckmann & Pachelbel harpsichord album, along with the Marin Marais / Forqueray / d'Anglebert album with the Kuijkens, or the Bach cantatas BWV 27/34/41...

Ken B

king ubu

opinions on this?

[asin]B00BUYC2GA[/asin]

will be part of aDE's crazy sales (starting in 3 hours and 6 minutes from this post's time)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Que

What I have of that lute set is either excellent (Piccinni) or very good (Dowland/Lindberg). :)

Any opinions on this set? :)

Q

Ken B

Quote from: Que on December 17, 2014, 08:05:45 AM
What I have of that lute set is either excellent (Piccinni) or very good (Dowland/Lindberg). :)

Any opinions on this set? :)

Q
I had one CD from the set, licensed from Tactus, and found the performances a bit rough.

The new erato

Quote from: Ken B on December 17, 2014, 08:23:12 AM
I had one CD from the set, licensed from Tactus, and found the performances a bit rough.
I have the set, valuable for it's completeness, and have played a third of it. OK performances, but not the epitome of elegance and grace IIRC. Valuable for what it is, though. Carissimi is generally underrecorded.

Que

Quote from: Ken B on December 17, 2014, 08:23:12 AM

Quote from: The new erato on December 17, 2014, 11:15:26 AM
I have the set, valuable for it's completeness, and have played a third of it. OK performances, but not the epitome of elegance and grace IIRC. Valuable for what it is, though. Carissimi is generally underrecorded.

Thank you both! :)

Q

king ubu

Thanks Que! At 15€ I just went for it before seing your comment ... guess I won't regret it!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Que

Quote from: king ubu on December 17, 2014, 01:14:37 PM
Thanks Que! At 15€ I just went for it before seing your comment ... guess I won't regret it!

Sounds like a good deal. :)

Moonfish

Thoughts?

[asin] B0018RAMCA[/asin]

or, alternatively

[asin] B001DSR9PC[/asin]

or both?   >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

jlaurson

Quote from: Moonfish on December 18, 2014, 07:43:54 AM
Thoughts?

or, alternatively

Very different, those two. Brautigam would be my first choice... but Buchbinder may be his best in Haydn; certainly attributes all his pianist learning to having played (and recorded) Haydn Sonatas.

Wakefield

Thoughts?

[asin] B0018RAMCA[/asin]

or, alternatively

[asin] B001DSR9PC[/asin]

My personal favorite is Brautigam, no doubt. Although Schornsheim (Capriccio) and Beghin (Naxos) and the Brilliant Classics set of keyboard sonatas (plus van Oort performing the remaining works for keyboard) are superb, too. All of them on PI.   

On modern piano, Ekaterina Derzhavina (Profil) and/or John MacCabe (Decca) are my top choices.   
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Thoughts?

[asin] B0018RAMCA[/asin]

or, alternatively

[asin] B001DSR9PC[/asin]

Neither.

Ranki, Beghin, van Oort.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Henk

Anyone heard this set?

[asin]B008TUDI2A[/asin]

jlaurson

Quote from: Henk on December 18, 2014, 10:32:47 AM
Anyone heard this set?

Heard it... liked it a lot... did not supplant favorites... Wispelwey II included.

Todd

I'm slipping.  This has been out for a month, but I only find it today.  The only thing I am considering is whether to buy this year or in January.  I sure hope this means the Brentano do a complete cycle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

Quote from: Todd on December 18, 2014, 07:20:01 PM
I'm slipping.  This has been out for a month, but I only find it today.  The only thing I am considering is whether to buy this year or in January.  I sure hope this means the Brentano do a complete cycle.
Qobuz is selling this in 24/96 for the cost of 16-bit via 'Qobuz Sublime'. I'm not sure whether that's just a normal promotion or something more sinister.

(The same applies to the Brentanos' previous volume of 132/135)